Ultralight Design?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:Ok Mike! You just made a major change! The stress thing is all different on this. So take your 4” grinder and get rid of the paint on the inside edges of the angle iron. Now 2” square tubing from the back of the angle iron to the front weld it, inside the angle iron spring hangers. At the front of the 2” and angle iron point you need to cut a v notch in the sqr tubing not all the way through. Its an inside v notch. Bend the tubing in, to form the tongue, same on the other side. Weld the closed v notch closed. With the flex ride axel all that would be needed is to bolt/weld the axel to the 2” sqr tubing. One may have to weld another piece of 2” parallel with the mounting plat to make it a little stronger. But with springs you need to take a 2” sqr tube from the center of 2” tubing, where the spring hangers are welded. And weld it parallel with the axel, from one side to the other side. Now you have a triangle, weld some small angle iron pieces to the tongue to bolt the floor plywood too. Don’t bolt through the 2” sqr tubing that may give you a weak spot for stress cracking. On top of the plywood floor use angle iron or angle aluminum like 1” X 1” all around the plywood edges to mount the walls to the floor. This will be your trailer frame. It just will be on the inside of the body. Tar the bottom of the plywood floor like normal before assembling. It should be quite light and strong! :twisted:
Chuck

Chuck,

I'll try again in the morning. Right now I'm just not picturing what you are saying...

If you can make a quick MS Paint drawing, that would help... otherwise, we'll be talking again tomorrow...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Craven » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:14 pm

Yes I have a drawing in PDF format how do I post it?
:? Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:17 pm

PDF, the easiest way is to send it to me via email...

Thanks,

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:20 pm

Chuck Craven wrote:Yes I have a drawing in PDF format how do I post it?
:? Chuck

Chuck,

Bring it up in Adobe Reader and use the camera icon on the toolbar and select the image. Or use the select button and select the image. The image will then be in your clipboard. Open a graphics program and paste the picture into the program. Save the pic as a jpeg and put in your gallery! VOILA! :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:23 pm

When I get the pdf I'll post it for you guys... right now I need to catch up on some sleep...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:44 pm

I cant tell for sure, but are you planning on a galley in this tear Mike? I figure you are, I'm just trying to visualize it.

Also, how many spars are you thinking are needed in this design? You've gotten my gears turning, gonna try to run some numbers in the morning. Gonna try to est. the weight if I built it fron steel, and use PolyMax on the exterior. My theory is it would be a very robust lightweight teardrop.
Last edited by bg on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:02 pm

Here is a side view! Its in my p folder.
:thinking:
Chuck[/img]
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:23 am

bg wrote:I cant tell for sure, but are you planning on a galley in this tear Mike? I figure you are, I'm just trying to visualize it.

Also, how many spars are you thinking are needed in this design? You've gotten my gears turning, gonna try to run some numbers in the morning. Gonna try to est. the weight if I built it fron steel, and use PolyMax on the exterior. My theory is it would be a very robust lightweight teardrop.

The gally is just going to be a simple shelf and bulkhead.

Spars, I dunno... I'll have to layout something soon I guess...

MIke...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:32 am

Chuck wrote:So take your 4” grinder and get rid of the paint on the inside edges ..........................of the plywood floor like normal before assembling. It should be quite light and strong!

Chuck, a lighter alternative would be to use the rest of the HF trailer Mike has just bought! But this is the Ultralight. :?

Mike, I would fix the angle to both the side wall and the underside using a polyurethane adhesive-sealant as well as bolts/screws. The solid gold products for this in my experience are Sikaflex 221 or 3M 5200 (neither of which are cheap). I think there's a risk that any stiffer product might fail under shock load and let water in. But these two products maintain a watertight seal under deck winches, so I'd bet my life on them working in this more 'gentle' application!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:18 pm

You just gave me an idea... I'm going to take the scale out to the garage...

You want to know what that 1175# trailer weighs, right? :shocked:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:22 pm

mikeschn wrote:You want to know what that 1175# trailer weighs, right?

287lb?

'Least that's what Harbor Freight says.

But it would be nice to have the specs of the frame members - like actual thicknesses rather than "less than 1/4 inch".

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:00 pm

Well, you'll be getting a model with everything to the right thickness...

As for the weight... Here's what I came up with...

2 fenders 10#
2 springs 14#
2 angle asms 18#
1 axle 15#
2 front side rails 23#
3 front cross members 19#
2 tongue members 16#
2 rear side rails 23#
3 rear cross members 18#
2 wheels 46#
2 fender brackets 3#
coupler and chains 7#
hardware, bolts, etc 15#
----------------------------
total trailer weight 227#

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:05 pm

Didn't realize how easy the XY idea was...

Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:06 pm

hey that looks exactly like what I laid out... except you took your x from the left... but the result is the same!!!

Now I suppose you want the framing dimensions?

Mike...

P.S. I had to show Chell your picture. See, I'm not the only one who brings in plywood into the living room/dining room to plan a profile... :campfire:
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bg » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:51 pm

Actually Mike, I'll be framing with 1" square tubing, so while your framing would help, I really don't need it.

As for bringing the ply inside, I really don't have much choice. Been raining since noon yesterday.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs