Plans ??

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Plans ??

Postby Jst83 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:21 pm

Just wonder how many have or are building with no real plans to speak of. I drew up some ruff sketchs before I ever started but haven't looked at them since I started building. Just kind of making it up as I go along :roll: :hammer:
Thanks Scott
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mary K » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:25 pm

OH gosh no, I could never build with out plans. That way when I screw something up I can point to the drawings and say HA SEE it wasn't me!!!!

Mk ;)
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:34 pm

:lol: If I screw something up I just tell people "I ment to do that", with no plans who would really know how it should have been :twisted:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:55 pm

I had basic sketches of shape, size and placement. I also had a list of things that were a must. I kind of made it up as I went. For example when I was putting in the roof ribs I "engineered" as I went. I did some documintation after I installed things like wiring so I knew what and where things were.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:32 pm

I didn't have any plans at all. When I started, all I had was a full sized pattern and the drawings printed off Andrew's webpage. I had a general idea of what I was going to do, make sandwich walls and install an a/c unit. The rest, I made up from there.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby kerryd » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:08 pm

I had no plans either . I knew how wide , long ,
and tall I wanted it .Then took a 20 foot piece of 1/4 " round rod and bowed it to the shape I like .
Has anybody thought of or tried using an old time car body ? Like cut it off at the fire wall and round it off neat and clean . I know it's not a tear. But might be cool . Kerry
kerryd
Teardrop Master

Postby Podunkfla » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:12 pm

OH gosh no, I never build with plans... I guess it's all according to what you are used to? I may sketch out some ideas beforehand, but I generally don't follow them. I kind of adapt & adjust as I go along too. I'm not knocking working from plans; I'm just more comfortable doing it my way. :)
<B>~ Brick
<I>... I've done so much with so little for so long... Now I can do almost anything with nothing! </I></B>
Image...Lots more pix here!
Podunkfla
ol' noodle haid

Postby jplock » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:45 pm

I had a few rough sketches and measurements on the Camp Inn Trailer. It was designed as I went along, and also took a lot of advice from my Father in Law. He is a builder and flyer of home built aircraft, and has 60 years carpenter and cabinet making experience. He did let me build it and make my own mistakes. He taught me a lot of woodworking tricks that will be remembered for years to come.

My Father in Law with two grandsons and His Franklin Woodsy Homebuilt plane in the background. (PS those are my sons 12 years ago.)
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:08 pm

It's good to see I'm not the only one who plans as I go, it means my tear might work out :lol:. I just feel more comfortable planning and making changes as I go. I like to think I have the ability to see the finished product as I go which helps me to build planless.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jplock » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:13 pm

My father in law said he designed a lot of his plane as he went along over a ten year period. He had several sets of plans and combined them into his finished product. Oh and yes he has been flying it almost two years now and he is 77 years old.
jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:24 pm

Plans---HA. I had a plan and Mike S. helped with the profile. The rest came straight from here and the generic benroy. My framing came from Phil (JP Lock). The rest is bits and pieces from everyone.

And some of it is inside me. :D :D :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Jst83 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:24 pm

jplock wrote:My father in law said he designed a lot of his plane as he went along over a ten year period. He had several sets of plans and combined them into his finished product. Oh and yes he has been flying it almost two years now and he is 77 years old.
jplock

:applause: That's wonderful I can only hope to be that good someday. And a very nice looking plane.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:56 pm

No plans. I would make a sketch once in awhile to get my thoughts straight. I Got a profile tracing from Grant Whipp which located important components like the rear bulkhead, closet, axle and doors. This forum helped a tremendous amount & the rest of it I just made it up as I went along. I did make a full scaled layout of my galley since it was a challenging area with the roll pans at the floor area. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

plans...who needs stinkin plans

Postby skacutter » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:28 pm

The Kasperwing sleeper was made from concepts not plans. Ok my build was not as nice as some of the other builds on this site but building without plans was half the fun for me. I Built and refined the concepts as I built it. I am in no way saying that anyone can work like this and end up with an acceptable outcome but I seem to go through life much like I built the Kasperwing sleeper.

How did you build it?

I used the contour of a traditional teardrop and traced it onto plywood with a LCD projector.

I used a snowmobile trailer frame as my base template and simply laid out a floor plan for what I wanted to include inside the trailer (shower, bed, kitchen and such)

I located all the mechanicals under the sleeping area

I used common sense and basic skills

I checked this website and posted my concerns and found plenty of helpful folks who have done this before who offered the correct answers to any of my questions

If you’re going to build without plans then you found the correct website. Mike (admin) is very generous with his advice and offers well worded criticism without being offensive (Thanks Mike you rock)

I don’t think you need plans to build a teardrop. In my mind if you build from plans you are building "someone else’s teardrop". The thing that makes this website so desirable is the diverse and unique designs. If you’re going to build from plans then you might as well just buy a manufactured teardrop. It’s probably cheaper in the end. In my opinion it’s best to start with a concept and paint your design in your mind as you go. No doubt things will change along the way and you may waste some time and materials (and money)... but I have to ask....why else would you want to build your own ??????

My 2 cents...because I only have 2 cents after my build :?

Regards
Chris

http://www.kasperwing.com/teardrop.htm
please visit the Kasperwing site and click on the teardrop trailer link
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

plans

Postby es009d7705 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi Scott, Just for today I will have a plan, I may not stick to it but at least it will save me from 2 pests hurry and indecision, All the best, Evan.
es009d7705
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Member Designs