My scribblings

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My scribblings

Postby BrianB » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:32 pm

Sample Image:

Higher quality PDF:
www.brianburton.org/v4.pdf

This is the design I've been working on. I took bits and pieces of things I liked about other trailers and put it into my design. Remeniscient of the camp-inn, but just with a more efficient galley design (imo), more storage, and an insulated cabin. The man in the drawing is 6'-1" tall (my height) and I drew the trailer around him in a laying and sitting up position.

According to Andrew's spreadsheet, it'd have about a 150lbs tougue weight and weigh somewhere around 1200lbs fully loaded.

The stove and ice chest are on sliding shelves. I'm debating about the usefulness of a sink and faucet, so that's still up in the air.

If you have any design suggestions, let me know.
Last edited by BrianB on Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby David Grason » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:46 pm

It looks really good, but the wheels are really small.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:55 pm

Hey Brian,

That looks pretty good. What size wheels do you have on there? And how much room do you have from the top of the mattress to the underside of the cabinet? Got a CAD file you can share?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BrianB » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:13 pm

Whoa, I'm glad you guys said that. I have 15" tires on my car, so I was thinking that the tires are 15" in diameter. Apparently not. I thought they looked small too.

Sure mike, I have no problem sending the file to you. Let me make those tire changes first.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:24 pm

Sounds good Brian,

I love parasolid and acis files, but seeing as how you are in 2D I guess I should ask for a dxf file! :? :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BrianB » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:28 pm

Ok, updated files in the first post. Now my trailer doesn't look so out of scale. :lol:

Yeah, it's a 2D drawing done in AutoCAD. I always do a 2D drawing first and then extrude it into a 3D solid to work on the details.

Oh, by the way, the footwell is 14.75" from mattress to bottom of cabinet. I came to the conclusion that it would be sufficient when I made a cardboard mockup above my bed. My legs or feet didn't rub at all.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:33 pm

I couldn't find a dxf file... just a pdf. :cry:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BrianB » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:37 pm

BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:58 pm

Got it thanks...

I see you are at about 104" long. Since you are already longer that a sheet of plywood, I added about another 10" for you.

I also gave you 18" of clearance between the mattress and the underside of the cabinet.

And last but not least, I got the cabinet out of your face. Your design looked good but it was very tight.

This rendition gives you a little more breathing room! 8)

Mike...

and here's your dxf file back, with my mods...

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/v4a.dxf
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:29 am

Brian,

Mike is an experienced trailer-builder, so he is able to use elliptical tires (see Mike's dxf) - but if this is your first trailer, it is recommended that you use the regular circular kind shown in your dxf.... :lol: :lol:

An example of how to calculate the approximate size of wheels and tires is as follows.
Tire marking 205/75R15
Width of tire 205mm = 8.1"
Aspect ratio of tire (height/width) 75%
Height of tire (only) 75% x 8.1" = 6.1"
Diameter of wheel (only) 15"
Overall diameter of tire (wheel + 2 tires) 15+6.1+6.1 = 27.2"

Alternatively Goodyear have a good trailer tire chart here: Goodyear Marathon

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:53 am

angib wrote:Brian,

Mike is an experienced trailer-builder, so he is able to use elliptical tires (see Mike's dxf) - but if this is your first trailer, it is recommended that you use the regular circular kind shown in your dxf.... :lol: :lol:

Andrew

I thought the wheels looked elliptical because the trailer was going down the road really really fast!!! :wink:

Maybe it was my glasses? :?

Okay, so I just stretched it without blanking the wheels. :( You caught me!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BrianB » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:05 am

Thanks for the design help, mike. Any reason you shrank the height? Since it's still over 4' I'd rather have the extra headroom and keep it tall. My head is lumpy enough as it is. :P

Good info to know, thanks Andrew. Since I had to go outside to see what size tires were on my car, I just took a tape measure with me.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:16 pm

I just made it 48" cause I thought you might be using standard lumber. Of course, you could start with a 5x10 sheet of plywood like I did, and then anything goes...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:25 am

BrianB wrote:Since I had to go outside to see what size tires were on my car, I just took a tape measure with me.

People always go for the easy way out... :lol:
Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:06 pm

Mike,

Hey, Brian said he is doing a insulated unit. This would mean that he is not tied to a 4x8 sheet of plywood. He can seperate the interior cabin paneling and the galley panelling to get his overall length. The nice thing about this is you can use a different material in the galley to give it a different look.

The outside aluminum will come in a 4x10 sheet. With the 1' foot of the sheet needed to do the front storage box (ala our camp-inns) he has 108" to play with for the side skins. So, he has design room to play with.

Brian layed out the interior pretty close to ours too. He actually had more foot well room than we do.

Brian,

You can deepen the footwell a bit to gain more upper galley area if you want. You won't find it a problem. About 16" is pretty safe.

Hmm, you must have looked a Camp-Inn in person. You nailed alot of it pretty close. If not, maybe you should check one out sometime.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Next

Return to Member Designs