My offroad Camper

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Steve F » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:32 am

Did some more on the interior, made my first draw :)

Anyway, the pics. Foot end storage has two draws, DVD/CD/Radio in the centre and speakers will be mounted at the ends. The top section will have no cupboards and will be an open section like it is now except carpeted, mostly for duffel bags etc, an elastic net will go over the face of the opening. I'm yet to mount the LCD screen on the roof.

Draw slides are rated at 25Kg

The storage at the head end has two smaller cubbies (the openings are the same size as the draws at the foot end, the bits cut out are the draw fronts) There is also a larger shelf on the top with power, the cubbies also have LED strip lights in them.

Nice and solid designed to double as a backrest while watching movies etc.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:59 pm

I just read through your whole thread again Steve... What a great inspiration and motivator... I really want to get started on mine now...

Steve F wrote:The biggest hassle was getting it all done in the right order.

1. Inspection and get blue slip guy to organise VIN
2. Blue slip guy stamp vin on trailer
3. Get weighbridge ticket.
4. Take ticket to blueslip guy and get blueslip
5. Get vin plate stamp as per blueslip
6. Go for rego (take receipts of build so they can tax you on cost) They dont need to view it so take the minimum required to make the trailer Smile
7. All Done Go back and finish it

Its quite the constrast here in good ol' redneck Idaho...

I go into the DMV and say:

Me-"I built a trailer"
DMV-"Is it under 1000lbs un-laden weight?"
Me- "yes"
DMV- "That will be $12 for a 10 year plate."

Not 100% sure on the cost and I'm about 99% sure I can register it as a utility trailer... we'll see.

Again Steve... GREAT build. I watched you build your rear tire carrier on your XJ too. I have had those pics saved on my home PC since you built it trying to design mine...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:04 am

And then there were two :) So much to get done still before the Aussie Jeep Jamboree and things like making draws etc take so much time for what they are. Anyway, I hope to have the interior ready to be sealed on the weekend.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:11 am

Pretty much finished the storage above my feet. One small piece to put in under the stereo to box of the compartment there and then it can be poly'd and the upper compartment carpeted. Also need to run the wiring for the LCD screen (it mounts on the reinforcing plate on the ceiling) and put some foam in the speaker boxes so they don't resonate.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby bve » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:08 am

Steve, nice work on the cabinets.

How long did those speaker standouts take you?

Burke
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Steve F » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:14 am

bve wrote:Steve, nice work on the cabinets.

How long did those speaker standouts take you?

Burke

They took about 15 minutes a piece, I used the mounting ring as a template and cut them out with the jigsaw, made sure I cut the center out first as it gave me more to hold/clamp onto.

Did some more wiring (still need to put it in conduit and clamp it down), got the DVD wired up and the speaker wires in etc, also temporarily ran power to the LCD screen after mounting it's mounting bracket on the roof and gave it a test. The speakers sound great and the screen is plenty big enough, I ended up watching the whole movie (which was an DIVX playing from the USB key in the stereo)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:07 am

Started to sort out the electrical supply :) The battery is in the galley under the bench with a marine switch panel to turn on the main sections of power. For something a little different the battery and panel are on a draw slide for easy access to the wiring. It will lock in place by via a latch on the side accessed by taking out the draw next to it. Anway, the pics.

Three separate scetions, each with it's own circuit breaker. Switches etc are all splash proof. There are also two power points, one is a hella plug to run my compressor fridge when it's not in the Jeep, the other is a standard cigarette lighter style.

Battery tiedowns not on yet, the draw slides in on to some additional nylon runners under it to take some of the load off the runners themselves on the bumps etc.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:00 am

:thumbsup: Now that is a very nice set up. Really well thought out. :thumbsup: There is a thread in the Electrical Secrets that could use your pictures. :thumbsup: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=20164 If you don't mind. :worship:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve F » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:26 pm

More bits turned up today, a solar panel (35W Monocrystalline) and a 6A Solar regulator with with a night light option (puts output through the terminal when sunsets and turns off when sunrises)

Anyway, the regulator is mounted on the rear of the panel that the switch panel is on and the solar panel will be mounted on a stand so I can park in the shade and keep the panel in the sun. Just gave it a test by propping it up outside, it's overcast/cloudy but the panel put out .5A so in full sun I'm expecting around 2A.

The coke can is in the pic to help gauge size, I like the monocrystalline as they are comparatively small for the power output.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:25 am

More work on the galley, one of the large under bench draws is started, need to put some uprights in the corners and then attach some panel to stop stuff falling out but the main structure is done. Also started on the upper cupboards, the pics dont really show it but they will be finished tomorrow other than the cupboard doors.

Anyway, the pics

45Kg runners on these ones, thats about 100lbs

Upper cupboards, they look better in person but do need some trim on them to finish them off. The cupboards will be lined with thin carpet.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:30 am

Kitchen area is getting close to done, just need doors on the upper cupboards and some trim to hide the gaps at some of the joins (bench top to wall for example). Battery wiring is all done as well now just need to find a suitable plug for the solar panel to plug in to the wired in regulator, something that isn't too common so nothing else can get plugged into it.

The coke can is there to get an idea of the size.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby bve » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Nice work Steve. :thumbsup:
Any target date to get it out for a shakedown run?
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Steve F » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:44 pm

bve wrote:Nice work Steve. :thumbsup:
Any target date to get it out for a shakedown run?

The 24th to 27th of september will be the 1st trop in it. No offroad for the camper then though, just a tow to the campsite.

Cheers Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:31 pm

Kitchen is done :) The upper cupboards will have an elasticated mesh for the door, something that will just roll up or be taken off when I'm camped. The insides will get carpeted once the urethane has gone on.

Anyway, some pics

I wanted to do something different to hide the pocket screws that hold the front of the bench down :) The flames took about 5 minutes each to cut and sand, the jigsaw is not the perfect tool for this ;)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Mstro » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 am

Supreme job on the galley work :applause:

overall you have done a fantastic build :thumbsup: :applause:

Great detail
Marc

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream by night."
Mstro
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs