Ron's trailer design

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Ron's trailer design

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:30 am

Along with the prize Ron sent, he also sent a drawing of his trailer design. I've reproduced it here... what do you think? Does that look like a winter design to you? ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:53 am

Strange....I have many pieces of paper around here that look simular to that! :thinking:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DANL » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:27 am

Good looking idea.

How's about the galley swings halfway back after the tent is in place and velcros to an opening in the street side of the tent to allow food prep from inside during bad weather. The galley could be lined with aluminum to protect against fire danger from the stove.

BTW the galley might need its own locking door to protect against animal ravages if it is left open away from the trailer body.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:07 pm

The design is very nice, but...
What really stood out for me...
Was the third brake light, like what you see on a P.U. canopy.

Good thinking there Ron. :thumbsup:

(When you see my trailer and it has a third brake light, you'll know where I got the idea)

Postby SteveH » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:52 pm

The problem with a third brake light, is to work properly i.e. come on with the brakes only and not with turn signals, a seperate wire is needed all the way from the stop light switch or the vehicles third brake light. That means you need a 5 pin connector, minimum.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:05 am

whow I'm published 8)

a nother thougth I had was to have a canapy on the side with a roll out bambo floor. and the back become a pull out.

at least this is a start.

:)

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby fasttimes » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:38 pm

SteveH wrote:The problem with a third brake light, is to work properly i.e. come on with the brakes only and not with turn signals, a seperate wire is needed all the way from the stop light switch or the vehicles third brake light. That means you need a 5 pin connector, minimum.
Some really simple electronics could take care of that probem, and not allow the 3rd break light turn on except when the other two lights are also on. Turn signals would be ignored, but breaking would activate the 3rd light.
Brent Geery
Los Angeles, CA
Happy now, Guy Whateveryournameis :QM :)
fasttimes
Teardrop Builder

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:51 pm

Thanks Fastimes,
Any body have a 3rd brake light on their tear?

Postby SteveH » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 am

Some really simple electronics could take care of that probem, and not allow the 3rd break light turn on except when the other two lights are also on. Turn signals would be ignored, but breaking would activate the 3rd light.

Yes, you could use an "and gate" chip or two relays, or one wire and a five pin connector.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:02 am

A 3rd brake light is tough. Trailer brake lights are simply a blinking of the brake light on one side or the other.. So, that would mean the 3rd brake light would need 2 filaments, one for each side... and it would blink. A trailer signal light is not a turning on of a light, it is a turning off and on of the brake light.

On a car, or most newer cars, signal lights and brake lights are separate, and require a converter between the car and trailer to go from 6 wires to 4 wires...

There are some lights that use a decellerometer to turn the brake light on.

I do have a blinker built into my van 3rd brake light. It seems to get peoples attention more readily, and have thought about a trailer light, but since my tear is wide, and a big white blob, most leave more room behind the tear, as if they pull up too close, they have no view of what is ahead.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby George T. » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:04 am

Greetings from Colorado!

A third brake light is not that difficult to install. JC Whitney offers logic circuits that simply hook to light circuits and provide the circuit for the third brake light. An example can be found at http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-161611/mediaCode-ZX/appId-356431

If you look at my avatar, the small light above the license plate light is used as a third brake light.

George T.
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:04 am

whow thanks for the good info on the third light. I will put it to my plan.

I in part came up with this plan to I could take off the galley and us it for transporting other things.

The Galley could use a gate hinge that just lifts off. just a thought at this time. and the lower part as a ramp.

I am also thinking of putting a rack on top for cooler and the like.

Now is the time to get out the graph paper and try making more sence out of it all.
;)

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby mexican tear » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:01 am

I have a third brake light. I took the guts out of one of those receiver third lights. I was using it on my jeep, stole it off there for the TD. It is just a little encapsulated thing with three wires. One for each brake light and one out to the center light.

I bought my center light from Mike's Model A parts. I also got the "STOP" lens to make it look cool.
http://www.mikes-afordable.com
I bought the "sacraficial" receiver light at Walmart, but they are everywhere for little money.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Re: Ron's trailer design

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:42 pm

mikeschn wrote:Along with the prize Ron sent, he also sent a drawing of his trailer design. I've reproduced it here... what do you think? Does that look like a winter design to you? ;)

Mike...

Ok I should be interesting to see what it will look like at the end and if my tear even looks like this.

Jan. 2005 is my starting date no lumber no bolts no money (I'll find some), no frame.

It has been suggested I lean to weld. I have done it in the past in theatre stage craft. Made a part to the drawing to the tee except it was 1/4 in size oops.

If I do get a harber freight I will want some sections welded. for now I plan to make the body and make it into a slide in for my truck or a utiity trailer. I may put handtruck type wheels under the body or put camper stilts on the sides.

:cry: I'm a little scared :roll: hmmm lets see I have a drawing and it shows much of what I like about a small trailer :thinking: I have most of the tools needed :twisted: I hit my thumb nail on the first and there can't be any worse pain then that :x I have all these great folks that want to help me with my ideas and confusions :thumbsup: I have the skills they have the know how :applause: How can I loose Just one thing missing it will not have a bathroom :oops: !!! .... But you know I think I am actully excited ;) it will require :worship: Prayer, :? bewilderment, :( mistakes, 8) igo lifting, :beer: acomplishments, :QM followed by many questions, :P and the final hora.

I will stop with the pictures now ... so stop shacking the computer :frustrated: I do not want to get hurt any worse :BE ..... I am starting now ... :SH just after one more nap

Ron D.
Los Osos, CA
500 miles above LA and 500 miles below SF on the Pacific Coast.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Member Designs