Grant's Campster 12, teardrop for four

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Grant's Campster 12, teardrop for four

Postby angib » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:21 am

Grant Whipp has a design for a family teardrop and build drawings are now available to download from the Design Library:
Campster 12

This is a large teardrop, 12ft long by 7ft wide, with a double dinette across the middle for indoor eating, a pair of bunks across the front, 'bending-over headroom' over a dropped footwell and a standard teardrop galley at the back. A trailer was built some time ago to a similar design and these photos give the general idea:

I think this is just what at least a couple of forum members have been looking for. At 84" wide by 75" high, it would suit a larger tow vehicle, but it's got pretty much everything needed by a family.

I'm sure Grant will be happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Andrew

PS I'm off on holiday for a week from tomorrow, so while I'll be able to follow the discussion, I won't be able to access the files or web page. So if I've made a howler of a mistake, tell me in a week's time, eh?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Tiki Dude » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:51 am

What kind of frame is it built on? Is there a off the shelf frame available for it?

Thanks,

Chris
http://retrosurflounge.blogspot.com/
Tiki Dude
Teardrop Master

Postby Dee Bee » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:58 am

Grant has made a wonderful TD Great work!!! I love it.

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:12 am

Tiki Dude wrote:What kind of frame is it built on? Is there a off the shelf frame available for it?

Thanks,

Chris
http://retrosurflounge.blogspot.com/

I would think a pop up frame would be ideal. Most are 7' wide.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby grant whipp » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Tiki Dude wrote:What kind of frame is it built on? Is there a off the shelf frame available for it?

Hi, Chris!

If you were to follow the plans for this design, there is a specified frame layout to allow for the dropped footwell, so no ... no "off the shelf" frame. However, if you are planning some modifications, then whatever frame you can find the fits will work. If you've got a Tractor Supply Company store near you, they can build you something to your specs fairly reasonably.

Dee Bee!

Thanks for the kind words! Andrew & I have been working on this on and off for a couple of years, and I can't tell you the number of e-mails sent back & forth trying to get things just right ... :? ...! I think I was dangerously close to bona fide PITA-status before we got it all worked out ... :lol: ... :lol: ...! Our hope is that it fills the bill for a number of folks looking to build a teardrop big enough to include the family. As always, then ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Good Work Gents

Postby Guy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Dear Andrew and Grant,

Good going guys. Pretty "little" teardrop. Does it qualify as a "teardrop"? :D
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Fantastic

Postby aggie79 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:15 pm

:D
Wonderful design! We don't have kids in the house anymore, but there may be some grandkids in the future.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:06 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :D Wonderful look and perfect timing for a lot of folks.

;) we're going smaller. :lol: 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:13 pm

The design looks good. Lots of storage. I didn't see space for heat, or ac... but of course, it's for camping, not RVing! :)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby grant whipp » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:44 am

mikeschn wrote:The design looks good. Lots of storage. I didn't see space for heat, or ac... but of course, it's for camping, not RVing! :)

Hi, Mike!

Glad you like the looks! You're right about the "camping vs. RVing" thing, IMHO, but ... if you look the plan over again, closely, you'll see that even though it isn't specified, there is plenty of room for a heat/air unit (and in more than one location to choose from)! Also, with a little careful planning & execution, a potty closet/cabinet can easily be fitted across from the entry door. From the beginning, this design was planned for plenty of opportunity for personalization & potential for modification to specific needs.

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby angib » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:35 am

grant whipp wrote:Also, with a little careful planning & execution, a potty closet/cabinet can easily be fitted across from the entry door.

I've been waiting for soemone to suggest that! There is space for either A/C and heat, or a portapotty, opposite the door.

But, adding a closet or toilet compartment (or anything above the dinette seat height) in that position would need to be looked at carefully - as well as removing any sense of space from the interior, it will become almost impossible to get into the street side seat of the dinette without some major redesign. Could be done - just wouldn't be easy or pretty.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:30 am

The profile looks kinda familiar. Image

It looks like Chubby on steroids
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

campster 12

Postby camp green » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:23 pm

I am new to this site!!!! I've got a 1978 Coleman Tent trailer that the canvas is gone and looking to make a new trailer over the frame. The campster12 is the closest teardrop to the size it is except I would like to have 6 ft standing height. Does anyone know of a detail guide to buid this model??? I am looking to make it in the form of a woody but sealing it from the rain and other weather has got me puzzled??? Is there a good book of other sites that can answer these questions. i've got woodworking experience but has never built trailer. Thank you in advance. Kirk
camp green
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs