SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:19 am

I like your trailer setup and design. I have a Grasshopper design also. :D

Yep Mike I can remember how to reposition my Digitizer Overlay menu for AutoCad. ;)

MatCad :o

VersaCad :o

Intergraph GIS Cad :o

Ah; yes AutoCad release 9 thru 13. ;)

Maybe one of these day I can try the newer version of AutoCad or Mike's IronCad. About the same price. :thumbsup:

I like SketchUp and the price is right for now. Just like the 2-D layout of old days. Old Paper and Ink or pencil kinda world I started in. But CAD is alot better by far. :thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

very ver very

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:26 pm

very nice, ill be watching this one closely
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby stomperxj » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:44 am

Here's an updated price list and a more accurate weight breakdown...

There are still things missing but the list is getting more complete every day... and I should be buying frame materials next week...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:49 pm

stomperxj wrote:Here's an updated price list and a more accurate weight breakdown...

There are still things missing but the list is getting more complete every day... and I should be buying frame materials next week...

Great list! I bet you are a far better estimator than I am! If my wife knew how far over budget I was by this point in the project... :D

And that is not counting the days when I was tired and mistake prone, and make 3, 4, 5, (6 once?) trips to Lowes/Home Depot to replace a piece of wood I cut one time too many, or ran out of pocket screws, or something like that! :?

I live in a unique spot. There are 3 Home Depots, a Lowes, and an Ace Hardware all within a minimum radius of 3.1 miles and a maximum radius of 3.3 miles from my house! I tend to go to the Lowes / Home Depot locations that are across the street from each other to minimize stock issues. :oops:

I love the look of the suicide doors, just remember when you are setting up camp you will have to walk around these doors if you use the open bay of the Grasshopper to haul stuff!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby stomperxj » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:Great list! I bet you are a far better estimator than I am! If my wife knew how far over budget I was by this point in the project... :D

And that is not counting the days when I was tired and mistake prone, and make 3, 4, 5, (6 once?) trips to Lowes/Home Depot to replace a piece of wood I cut one time too many, or ran out of pocket screws, or something like that! :?

I live in a unique spot. There are 3 Home Depots, a Lowes, and an Ace Hardware all within a minimum radius of 3.1 miles and a maximum radius of 3.3 miles from my house! I tend to go to the Lowes / Home Depot locations that are across the street from each other to minimize stock issues. :oops:

I love the look of the suicide doors, just remember when you are setting up camp you will have to walk around these doors if you use the open bay of the Grasshopper to haul stuff!

Thanks Cliff- I switched the doors around so they hinge normal and it looks better and like you say,they will be more out of the way and can fold flatter. Someone else mentioned that too... I'll post another screen shot later...

As far as the price list, its getting close and i have been looking for deals on stuff locally too. Hopefully i can find some second hand parts to decrease the cost some. The good thing is, it will be a work in progress after the main box and frame are done and sleepable. I can always add more later when I can afford it...

I am in close to the same boat. I have a hardware store about a mile away and a Home Depot and Lowes both about 7 miles away so multiple trips should be minimized I hope :)

Thanks for the nice comments-

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:43 pm

Well I finally got some materials in so I took off early from work and got after it today. The frame is tacked together. I have to modify the spring hangers so it sits a little lower but I'm on my way. My goal for a completion date is March 2009. Hopefully I have enough time :)

On to the pics:

Specs:
2x2x.120 square tube
2x2x.120 angle
3500# axle
1500# springs

More updates this weekend...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby bgordon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:48 am

Hi,

Wow, at the rate you're going now, you will be finished way before March 2009. I mean, working out the design in one week, and getting the frame down in a day. I would say that would qualify as kinda fast! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, it looks great so far! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby stomperxj » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:29 am

Yeah metal is the easy part for me. The wood will be a challenge...

Frame almost complete. I'm going to finish weld everything by Sunday night and the frame will be done! I did a small loop around my neighborhood and it tows straight as an arrow... The wheels/tires on it are for mock up only. I should have the off road tires on by the end of the week...

Pics:

Using my new Harbor Freight auto-darkening hood. On sale for $49.99. Works like a champ:

I even taught my friend Laura how to tack some tube:

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks for looking-

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Question

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:38 am

what size tires do you have on there???? If you went with a drop hitch, it would level it out.
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: Question

Postby stomperxj » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:27 am

Jeeper92 wrote:what size tires do you have on there???? If you went with a drop hitch, it would level it out.

Those tires are only 28" tall. It will have 31" tires on it next week. I still might have to get a drop hitch anyway though...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:28 am

The trailer looks great! I hope there is enough clearance between the tire and the frame when you get the bigger tires on it! :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

o ok

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:17 pm

Did you swap the axle? Im wondering if when I build mine, i cant just put the 33s on the lugs that are on the trailer now.
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: o ok

Postby stomperxj » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:31 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:The trailer looks great! I hope there is enough clearance between the tire and the frame when you get the bigger tires on it! :thinking:

Thanks Cliff - Yes the wheels with the big tires have less backspacing so I will have about 1.5" of clearance between the tire and frame.

Jeeper92 wrote:Did you swap the axle? Im wondering if when I build mine, i cant just put the 33s on the lugs that are on the trailer now.

I ordered my axle custom from a local trailer supply house with 5x4.5" bolt pattern and 61" hub to hub to match my Jeep wheels and track width...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

just curious

Postby Jeeper92 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:11 pm

cost?

thanks for your time
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: just curious

Postby stomperxj » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Jeeper92 wrote:cost?

thanks for your time

Cost of the axle? $140 with 1500# springs. Normally $160 but there was excessive grinding on one end so he gave me a discount. I got the hanger kit from a buddy for free...

My spreadsheet shows $183 but that was before I knew I had a hookup on the hanger kit and the discount for the axle...

Ask any question you want... happy to help :)
stomperxj
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs