SawTooth XL - Update 6.27.11 - Repairs started

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Steve F » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 am

Looking real good :) Nice pair of XJ's there as well.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:02 am

:thumbsup: :applause: :) You have a well thought out project underway. How closely spaced are your roof spars? Maybe, a few a few more would help to minimize roof sag. Don't see insulation on your parts list - you going to use some? Looks like you're going to paint the outside. Might be worth considering using epoxy and fiberglass tape on the plywood joints. Or to fully epoxy and/or fiberglass the exterior wood. Then paint it.

(I'm fiberglassing my teardrop. First time using the material and it's going well so far.)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Well

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:54 am

I have a 14 foot aristocrat and Im wondering if ill be able to tear it down and just put my 33 inchers on there. Or do I have to get a different axel, Im not doing it for off roading, more or less just for the look of it
Jeeper92
500 Club

Re: Well

Postby stomperxj » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:54 am

Steve F wrote:Looking real good :) Nice pair of XJ's there as well.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve- The silver one is a 2001 60th anniversary model my buddy just picked up. Its going to get the same treatment as mine; RE 4.5" lift, front locker, 31s, etc...

Esteban wrote::thumbsup: :applause: :) You have a well thought out project underway. How closely spaced are your roof spars? Maybe, a few a few more would help to minimize roof sag. Don't see insulation on your parts list - you going to use some? Looks like you're going to paint the outside. Might be worth considering using epoxy and fiberglass tape on the plywood joints. Or to fully epoxy and/or fiberglass the exterior wood. Then paint it.
(I'm fiberglassing my teardrop. First time using the material and it's going well so far.)

Thanks Esteban - My roof spars are spaced out too much right now in the drawing. I think I'll end up with double that amount. I'm going to use rigid blue foam insulation. Its pretty cheap around here... I was thinking I should seal the edges with epoxy or something first as well. Thanks for the tips...

Jeeper92 wrote:I have a 14 foot aristocrat and Im wondering if ill be able to tear it down and just put my 33 inchers on there. Or do I have to get a different axel, Im not doing it for off roading, more or less just for the look of it

Not sure what that trailer looks like. Best way is to bust out the tape measure and check bolt pattern, backspacing, fenderwells... etc. to see if they will fit...
stomperxj
The 300 Club

GOt ya

Postby Jeeper92 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 am

yeah i will do that
I gotta finish breakign the whole thing down anyway. I was just thinking ahead
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:01 am

Well I just dove in head first and bought some windows.

I read Mike's quote:

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...

and figured I'd just get some good windows. All 3 are from callencampers.com in So Cal...

(1) 10x54 tinted picture window:

(2) 12x9 black sliders for the doors:

(2) 12x18 tinted side sliders:

The madness begins :)

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:03 pm

Well dad had a scrap piece of OSB laying at his shop so my bud Jon and I decided to mock up one side with a door to see how it looks in real life. I think its going to be pretty sweet but I'm a little biased :)

And some Photoshop action just for fun:

I crawled in and out the door a bunch and laid down in it and it seems about right. I'm 5'11" and the bed is 76" so I have a little room to breathe. I'm going to try to get some stabilizers by next weekend and maybe the landing gear for the tongue so I can finish the frame out and start priming it.

I also bought my first project specific tool this weekend. A Mini Kreg Pocket Jig :) I'm excited to use it...

More later-
Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:43 am

Looks great Jess!

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bgordon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:56 am

Hi,

Man, I can't wait to see the trailer finished.

Remember to take a picture like that when it is done and compare it to the photoshopped version. Should be interesting to see...
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve F » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:43 am

Looks great, one question though, are the roof spars on top of the walls or level with the top of the walls, just looks like it'll be tight for headroom around the door with the spars almost reaching the door opening if they are flush with the top of the wall, but that could just be the angle of the pic.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:38 pm

Steve F wrote:Looks great, one question though, are the roof spars on top of the walls or level with the top of the walls, just looks like it'll be tight for headroom around the door with the spars almost reaching the door opening if they are flush with the top of the wall, but that could just be the angle of the pic.

Cheers
Steve

Spars will be flush with the top so the headroom inside will be about 1" less than the top of that profile. I sat in it and had my bud hold up some pieces of OSB above my head while I moved around inside and there's enough room. Its tight at the front end but not bad.
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:06 pm

Well I got some stainless for free so I started on my fenders today...

About 3.5" of coverage... I'm trying to match what the XJ has for coverage so it all matches...

Also, I ordered my BAL stabilizers and 1 window is here so far...

Slowly but surely :)
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby stomperxj » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:44 am

Well I felt the trailer was sitting too low so I was going to make some longer shackles for it. That changed the centerline of the axle quite a bit so I decided to do a spring over conversion instead

I also made some sawdust this weekend :)

The rest of the pics are here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v236/ ... ooth%20XL/

Jess
stomperxj
The 300 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm glad to see you hinged your doors on the front. I think the "suicide" doors would have been a nightmare.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby zelix » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:49 am

Looking great. Nice CAD work. I haven't ever used AutoCAD Sketup. I'm planing to make a similar TTT .

:thumbsup:
zelix
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs