The 280lb Pico-Light

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby angib » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Mike, those comparison shots are really useful - I'll definitely put one of those on my web site to illustrate the difference.

I was thinking that in the US, the (1240mm) Miata might be one car that would suit the Pico-Light's size - it probably has the power to pull a 'full size' teardrop, but might be nicer with something smaller.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby synaps3 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Mike -- you're measurements are on the wrong side of the pond! What are these mm's you speak of? :lol:

The pico design is awesome, but I question the functionality without a galley. Then again, I think that's the point of the design. :)
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:29 pm

I tried to get inside the Pico Light, to show you what the inside looks like. That's not an easy shot to do, especially since I end up having to use a really wide angle lens to capture any reasonable amount of detail.

So here is what I came up with...

Mike...

P.S. Yes, Dave, that was the point of the design.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:21 pm

:thumbsup: Very nice. I made a sticky outtta it. Maybe this is what folks who drive the 1.6 Sentra or similar need.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm

mikeschn wrote:I tried to get inside the Pico Light, to show you what the inside looks like. That's not an easy shot to do, especially since I end up having to use a really wide angle lens to capture any reasonable amount of detail.

So here is what I came up with...

Mike...

P.S. Yes, Dave, that was the point of the design.

Gee Mike thats some fancy computer work you do. That looks very nice.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:15 pm

synaps3 wrote:Mike -- you're measurements are on the wrong side of the pond! What are these mm's you speak of? :lol:

These are the only kind I know anything about:

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Classic Finn wrote:
Gee Mike thats some fancy computer work you do. That looks very nice.

Thanks Finn,

But I can't take credit for that. It's Andrew's model. I just applied a few materials and rendered it.

Mike...

P.S. Aggie, I like those MnM's... reminds me of an MnM Trailer design I worked on once upon a time...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Prem » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Auntie M rightly noted:

btw guys if you get it too light it will be blown off the road or take flight........

It's too light already to tow without ballast. Going 55MPH+ down the Interstate highways with side drafts from big rigs, or strong winds, you probably need a spoiler to keep it pressed down to the road. (And there goes some fuel savings.) Best to pack the floor in the front with ballast of canned food, water jugs and cast iron when traveling at highway speeds.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby dwgriff1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:17 pm

When I ask pilot friends about a light weight trailer lifting off the ground they suggest that it might, at about 140 mph.

By the time you put minimal camp gear inside and travel 55 or 65 it will work fine.

I remember the same arguments when I talked about building a 500 pound trailer.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby Prem » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm

Yeah. It's not going to lift off both tires and fly. It's just going to blow over in really nasty conditions if too light. I've seen an (empty?) trailer behind a big rig lift it's tires off the road on one side near Lompoc, California on Hwy 101 in a strong wind. Scary to be behind. Then my son's surfboard got blown off our roof taking part of the rack with it. :o
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Andrews new frame design

Postby Larry C » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:07 am

I like Andrews new frame design so much :D , I asked him to redraw it for my 5'X8' modified Ultralight build (500-600#). Andrew redrew it for the Ultralight profile and I think it's the perfect frame design for any light weight build. The main triangle is 1" x 2" 11ga. rect. steel tubing. It uses less than 20' of this tubing, so one length is all I need to buy. The the rest of the steel is short pieces I can get from scraps.
Andrew drew it with 8" wheels, but I will use 12" I know the 550# stub axles will present a challenge, but I am committed to building this design as drawn. It will be the foundation of my light as possible Tear. I will document the process if others want to use this frame design.
Andrew.. Thank you for the new 5x8 Pico frame. :thumbsup:

BTW/ being new to using the forum, where should I start posting pictures and my build thread? Should it be a whole new thread(where) or in the Ultralight thread? I will need some help/suggestions during my build.

Larry C.
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Ageless » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:27 pm

One could always modify this design using a single pivoting wheel in the rear. Firmly attached to the rear of the TV and you eliminate the chance of tipping
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ai4kk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Talking about different models of cars, my friend with her Prius is thinking of building something like this to tow behind it. I would think that would work very well.
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

Postby almostanengineer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:53 am

So, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but what are the dimensions on this? Specifically the sleeping area? I want to try out the cardboard box suggestion...

Also, if anyone is feeling adventurous, how would this look behind a VW New Beetle? Mine is yellow. ;)
almostanengineer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tinksdad » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:23 pm

almostanengineer wrote:So, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but what are the dimensions on this? Specifically the sleeping area? I want to try out the cardboard box suggestion...

Also, if anyone is feeling adventurous, how would this look behind a VW New Beetle? Mine is yellow. ;)

Just a quick doodle. Didn't spend a lot of time on it and the Pico is missing some detail; but I think this may be what you want to see.

tinksdad
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs