The Astroshack - A Mobile Observatory

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

The Astroshack - A Mobile Observatory

Postby DesertSkies » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:54 pm

My goal is to build a trailer that will store and haul my telescopes which will make it easier to spend more time under the stars. The scopes are a pain to load in a pickup, and one is a 12" Newtonian that's about the size of a water heater. Unfortunately that negates the classic teardrop galley design!

As a camper, it will primarily be used for overnight stays. Leave after work on Friday, set up at dusk, observe until the wee hours, sleep for a little while, pack up in daylight and come home. It must be boondock-friendly, so an AC isn't on the list. It might be used for the occasional weekend trip. We have a pickup, so there's space for coolers and a camp stove elsewhere.

While some of the classic designs with cabinets, water, galleys and other designs are something I really like, it's just not necessary with this project. I'm looking for something that's a step up from a tent.

I'm tall and my wife is cold-natured. I'm looking for as much space as possible and it will be insulated.

I've sketched it out with only one door with a window. To me that means only one set of seals to go out and it's dark on the inside for sleeping in. I'll probably make it an opening window for fan circulation.

I'll wire it for 12v battery and power strip for shore with a battery maintainer. LED white and red lights as needed inside and out.

I've attached a cocktail napkin sketch. I'm thinking about using a 4x8 Tractor Supply trailer. The sides are radiused on the front to cut on a little drag and take some pressure off the front.

Let me know what you think and thanks for your time!

DesertSkies
Donating Member

Postby regis101 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Good design. You might consider a taller rear door and maybe a side door also. Maybe two side doors. Can't have enough access with a cargo hauler.

I'm on Build #2 and had sketched up profiles similar to yours for maximum cu footage. I even drew up one that had the roof slant to the rear for a three inch drop starting from the front radius. Just to shed water.

Are you planning any shelving inside even if you set a tasty on it while you're cleaning lenses or sumptin'.

If the wife is coming along, you might consider a 5' wide trailer. 4' wide is well, 4' wide. Map it out on the floor and. My kids' twin beds are 3' wide. I have a hard time snuggling up with them for naps. Two adults could use a 5 wide, IMO. There are plenty of threads and info on here about 4' vs 5'.
Plus that water heater sized 'scope is gonna take up some room.

Maybe a six pack camper on the truck and the 4 x 8 would be fine?

Just my thoughts.
Peace, Regis
Livermore, Ca
Working on Build #2
regis101
Teardrop Master

Postby DesertSkies » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Thanks, Regis!

I do plan to shelve it. I'm thinking about some nautical type shelving high inside the cabin. I'll probably arrange for a pop-out table for handling eyepieces and such.

The single door is all I need and is sized to allow for the base of my largest scope. I definitely see your point about more doors!

This is basically a "rimple" http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear46.htm#rimple with the back left square.

I'll definitely go taller on the back door and look into the five foot trailer.
DesertSkies
Donating Member

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Shelving issue. Why don't you consider a couple of "hammocks" strung across the width of the tear to carry the load of the telescopes? With enough points of connection on the wall you should have a method that would support the load safely and have sufficient redundancy to handle any potential errors in rigging. There are companies on the web that will make/build a piece of webbing that would be sufficiently strong to handle the weight and design it so that it won't sway back/forth in the cabin during travel.

Then the webbing can be removed to allow you to sleep in the cabin.

AJ
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby DesertSkies » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:32 am

AJ: I considered a harness to suspend the big tube but decided it was more trouble than it's worth. It would be tough to load alone, and I usually transport it on a folded blanket while in a dust/water proof bag (UNUSED body bag that a mortician friend gave me) and it works fine. If I secured it from rolling and stored it on the mattress, that would be perfect.

When my wife saw the galley space of traditional designs she wondered why I skipped the galley. I scratched out a few more ideas for consideration.

First, I ripped off some simple galley/shelf designs from the library. Adding two side hatches and converting the aft hatch to a more traditional flip-up like the "simple" will give some space. I added a hatch on the low right side galley area to allow the big tube to be slid into the cabin from the back for transport. The base could be put in throught the right side door. There is ample room to store my 80mm refractor with mount and tripod on the shelving and have room for provisions and small galley fixtures.

What I forgot to mention is that both scopes have weather covers and will stay outside when we're asleep. They will only be inside for transport.

This is just a rough sketch and dimensions will be adjusted for fixtures.

I realize the whole tube size issue could be solved by going to a 5' wide trailer, but it just seems cool to do the whole thing on a 4x8. I can't figure out how to load the tube without going through the back and still have normal sized side doors. We have a backpacking tent that is 4' wide and we sleep pretty well in it.

I guess I could go with the "Rimple" and just mod the galley to fit the OTA hatch! Wow, someone did all the work for me!

The big scope looks like this:Image

The tube is 14x57", the base is 25wx27h".
DesertSkies
Donating Member

Postby whitefishpoint » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:04 pm

You need this

whitefishpoint
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:22 pm

I think you could design that into a teardrop too!

Don't forget to put a big hole in the floor so you can set your telescope on the ground, to eliminate vibration. :roll: :roll: :roll:

On second thought...

:thumbdown:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby xrover » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 pm

mikeschn wrote:I think you could design that into a teardrop too!

Don't forget to put a big hole in the floor so you can set your telescope on the ground, to eliminate vibration. :roll: :roll: :roll:

On second thought...

:thumbdown:

Mike...

That's actually a valid point Mike. I have a 10" DB and when on our deck we get enough vibration that people need to stand still. So instead of a hole, it should allow for a 4 point levelling stance and perhaps 3/4" to 1" flooring to reduce vibration.
1988 Cadet
2006 Argo Avenger
xrover
Teardrop Master

Postby DesertSkies » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:18 pm

WFP, I actually looked into making a small dome with a short refractor in it just for grins!

Mikenchell, thanks for putting this forum together. It's amazing how much information you have compiled here. When searching for ideas before I posted I saw that you built a Dob. Any pictures?

Since my wife liked the shape of the Benroy design, I mocked up the 4x8 floorplan based on the profiles in the design library. I was amazed to discover that the OTA and base can be loaded through the side doors with no modifications. We were also able to fit comfortably in the cabin. It's about the same size as our backpacking tent.

I think side tables and portable awning will make this a star party machine! I'm thinking that part of the galley could be set aside for astro gear in addition to a wet bar and humidor. A friend is working on white and red LED systems for me.

I'm checking all the local hardware, box, boat and RV stores around town for parts now. I'm hoping to lay the keel this weekend.
DesertSkies
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs