Input needed on my "design"

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Input needed on my "design"

Postby NathanL » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Here's a design I'm thinking about throwing together. I had a teardrop I built but the problem I ran into was not being able to sit up comfortably.

The reason it's not curved is I get free MDO sheets up to 10' long and they are almost impossible to bend and minimum thickness is 3/8", plus all you have to do is screw/glue it together and f/b the seams and paint it and you are good to go, at least in my previous experience. I'm not really to concerned with looks.

Trailer would be used for me and my only. I don't cook a whole lot and mostly my trailer would be used for weeks at a time as a "base" while backpacking etc...However I want the ability to sit up when weathered in for a few days. Standing up really isn't a big concern.

The trailer would be 6' inside and that would be the bed across the back. It's 42" x 72" and would fold up in the front to reach storage underneath for stuff like the spare/canopy/more backpacking gear etc...

I think I would located the A/C under the front cabinet and vent it out the bottom, or an intake on the bottom and exhaust out thru the side in a vent. The cabinet would be about 32" tall right beside the door and would allow me to cook or whatever while sitting down and the opposite side would have a taller cabinet.

A window would go in somewhere but it would depend on what I could pick up. I live in the one place on the planet you pretty much can only get stuff delivered via USPS, Fed-EX and UPS are out of the question which really limits ordering stuff.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah weight isn't really that big of an issue as I will be pulling with a 4wd 1/2 ton with tow package or my 3/4 ton diesel truck.

I thought into going taller and I could go up to 72" with a single piece up to 10' long but the trailer I think would have to be a little longer to retain some sense of proportion and not look like it's too tall for it's length if that makes sense. A drop floor is out of the question because of how the trailer will be used and again standing isn't that much of a priority to me.

NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:14 am

These guys gave me a similar idea for a standie

Here is my very 1st cads drawing of mine

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby wlivesey » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:46 am

If you can, I recommend mounting the AC up high. I mounted mine near the floor and it cools ok, but would be much better up high. The new little sportsmen trailers use a 5000k btu window unit mounted against the ceiling and ventilating out the roof. That's probably how I'll do it next time around.
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs