My design...early planning stages

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My design...early planning stages

Postby Gnaatz1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 am

I would like to get some inputs on my own design for a teardrop camper that would fulfill my needs.

First is I'd like to build one just a bit bigger than most...not too far out there.

My design is to build one on a 6'3" frame, allowing for two 1 1/2" walls (insulated) and still have the cross space of an even 6' to be able to try to put in an 40" fold out (from the galley wall forwards) bunk (for a single person). The main cabin would be long enough to hold a queen size bed 60" x 84" long 4" thick foam. My plan is to utilize the front curved (area in front of the frame) 22" deep for a hanging closet (middle longest area), upper area for shelving, and lower area for shoes.

The back wall would be insulated also (but not sure on that). That is the wall where most of the support for the fold out bunk would be. So it would be a 20" shelf, that folds out to a 40" bunk with it being supported by the side frames.

The galley would be 37" deep, starting about 7-8" in... My plan for that would be to put sink on the left side (aprox. 15" square) smallest I have found, putting 1 or 2 7gal blue water jugs under the counter where the sink would be (12v pump inserted into tank). in the middle lengthwise section of the 72" counter I would place my 1000 watt Yamaha generator, outside of that on the far right I would place my 54 quart coleman steel cooler I've had for years (in a pullout draw system).

Above the main counter I would have a set of 11" deep cupboards with sliding doors (with a main divider in the middle). And above that a thin spice rack area. Paper towel rack mounted in galley door.

So...What do you all think of my ideas in this early planning phase?

Gnaatz1
Gnaatz1
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My design...early planning stages

Postby Gnaatz1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Come on! 53 people have read my tentative plans for my custom Teardrop trailer and no comments at all; I need some feedback from some of you - Please.

Gnaatz1
Gnaatz1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby danlott » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 am

Try posting a photo of your design. It is very hard to picture what you are describing.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:54 am

Gnaatz1 wrote:Come on! 53 people have read my tentative plans for my custom Teardrop trailer and no comments at all; I need some feedback from some of you - Please.

Gnaatz1

Remember you asked for it!

Sounds like you are trying to put a quart of pickels in a pint jar. You need to scale draw the cooler the water jugs and other features. I think you will find the exercise a very worthwhile effort.

You will find this bunch a wealth of info but WE ARE very visual. It doesn't need to be a 3 d cads super drawing, we also can work off of coctail napkin drawings just as well.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby crumbruiser » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:19 pm

I can't really visualise it either. I need to see some scale drawings. Myself, I built mine 5 &1/2 feet tall and 6 & 1/2 feet wide and 8 feet long. It kind of sounds like you need something big like that.
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby Gnaatz1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Fair enough...I will have to take some time to try to get some drawings put together...Graph paper might work.

But here is a very rough concept I have...not sure if it is to scale or not...Again 6'3" wide (allowing for both walls) giving me six foot across inside the cabin. I am allowing 22" (overhang on front end - curved out) for my possible hanging closet and cabinet area in front. Then my main cabin (sleeping area) would be 84" long by again 6" wide. Then I would put of a flat wall dividing the cabin from the galley. On the back wall about half way up the height of the ceiling 5', would be the foldable 40 inch wide shelf folding towards the front of the trailer (when not in use it is used for storage of our stuff). The galley wall to the rear of the galley would be 37" deep. I would put a 15" x 15" sink in on the left side of the galley, with a 7 Gal. blue water container with drop in 12v pump directly underneath the counter. Next to the water jug with 3/4" ply wood divider I would put in my 1000 Yamaha generator lengthwise, another plywood divider, then my coleman steel 54 quart cooler - sitting sideways in a slide out (but lockable draw).

These were beginning plans and the width of the trailer is now 6 foot 3 inches wide (Tires outside of that - with fenders). The very nose to the curved rear (Galley area) will be 12 foot long. I think I've thought this through so far...but might have missed something.

Gnaatz
Attachments
My TD Plans.JPG
Rough sketch...
My TD Plans.JPG (92.45 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
Gnaatz1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 am

So, what you going to pull this with??? and what you going to side it with? Be looking for a smaller sink, they are out there, 15 X 15 is way bigger than you need.
Why do you want it so large? I have a 12 footer and I have a couch to sit on inside. You have a lot of space that your aren't really utilizing. Have you considered just adding a foot in height and making a standy?

So, you are basically building a 6 X 12, with a 5 foot ceiling height. How about considering making a shelf on that 22 inch nose for your friend to sleep on and build in that closet on the galley wall, You will have enough height to build it and still have clearance for your feet.

Don't forget to go lite on the construction, It will be strong enough Please give us MORE behind the REASONS so we can begin to see your vision better. You've come up with a trailer that will give you lots of confort and storage. Tell us why you need or want it. WE ARE INTERESTED!!!

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Gnaatz1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 am

I researched Camping Cots and most are 40 inches wide, and also saw some older campers with a similar setup for a bunk in them, so I figured I'd put in my Teardrop, so if I needed the extra bunk I'd have it and still have that space available for storage.

As for sinks...Where can you find smaller sinks - that are really functional to wash dishes in? Smallest ones I see have been around 15" square to my recollection. I am interested in finding something smaller though.

I was thinking of putting one of those drop in two burner stoves in it, but I think I'll save money and maybe a bit of counter space by going with a portable two burner with the fold out wind protectors either a Stansport or Camp Chef...that have gotten good reviews and they are cheaper.

As for pulling it...I have a Ford Taurus V-6, or a big GMC Yukon V-8 to tow it with at this time.

As for siding it - Early planning has it either being sealed and painted, or case in aluminum (if I can find a supplier here in Alaska that won't break my bank).

I really am thinking of putting a canoe on top - traveling and I am pretty short 5'6" so I want to be able to get it on the roof / rack fairly easily.

In trying to go lite...I totally agree...Right now I am thinking of using 3/4" exterior Plywood for the sides skeletonized so I can put in foam insulation, then putting exterior grade 1/4" Plywood on the outside and 1/8 on the inside cabin section. I would put two thicknesses on the roof for added strength and support for the canoe.

Anyways...This is early in planning, but I will listen to any ideas or thoughts you have on this subject.

Gnaatz1
Gnaatz1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby myoung » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 am

Although my TTT is not strictly a teardrop, it has approximately the overall dimensions you are looking at with all the bells and whistles of equipment. If you are interested in my experience, have a look at the build journal. For comparison purposes, my 11 x 6 TTT weighs 1,400 pounds.

Also, take a look at the compilation of pop-up trailer plans and builds as your intended design fits within most of those shapes and dimensions.

Better to plan, plan, and plan before building. The time is well-spent and the dimensions of all the major components have to be resolved at the planning stage. If you are unsure whether things will fit, consider building mock-ups of cardboard.

Enjoy the journey!
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 am

Hey, that is great construction, easier, faster and strong,
Take a trip to some sports place that has a display of cots. 40 inches is middle of the road, but there are some less than that. 31 inches or so. Yep, its small, but you're building a small light weight trailer, sometimes smaller works just fine.
ust
I can't say I've found you a smaller sink, but I know there are smaller ones, We'll find them.
The canoe, maybe a shorter roof might be good,

You really have something going there, I can see you now, sleep is getting harder to come by, your mind is just pumping out the ideas.

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Gnaatz1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:39 am

Yeah, not getting as much sleep...Always seem to be thinking about this teardrop...Guess I've got the bug.

I just hope that I can see this project to completion in the not too distant future...

I keep looking for small sinks, but am not having much luck.

As for smaller cots...I checked out Cabela's site last and you are right, some cots are only about 31-32" wide...I think I will downsize that to a fold- down canvas cot taking it out to 33" wide, which I believe is the width of a normal size sleeping bag.
Plus a canvas cot will save some weight - Great Idea! The extra sleeping area will still be there if needed for an extra person as long as they aren't too tall. Now I need to find Chrome Closet rod holders, they will look the part.

I think I found them on Amazon...Now just thinking how much they would support - weight wise over a 6 foot length, but the back part would be support by the back wall of the main cabin and sides. I am wondering for safety of the person who might use the bunk...Would it support up to 200 pounds?

I am enjoying the dialog on this...Thank you.

gnaatz1
Attachments
41QZzR9FviL.jpg
41QZzR9FviL.jpg (17.75 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
Gnaatz1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Gnaatz,

I'm hoping you will share a first name and let all of us know where you are located in AK. There are a couple really good teardrop builders up there.

That suggestion to do some mock-ups is a good one. Don't forget to include the ceiling, You will be surprised at just how much space you are suggesting.

Keep planning, Keep drawing and Keep searching for new ideas. IF YOU ASK, SUGGESTIONS WILL RETURN

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby Gnaatz1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:39 pm

My name is Greg, small city outside of Anchorage... Called Chugiak.

I will have to see about that mockup thing...

Builders here in AK...Very cool.

I would like to see their builds and get information from them on where to have a frame made, wood suppliers, and Aluminum suppliers, etc..

gnaatz1
Gnaatz1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 pm

myoung wrote: If you are unsure whether things will fit, consider building mock-ups of cardboard.

REDNECK CAD'S

( CARDBOARD AIDED DESIGN )

:laughter:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Forrest747 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:38 pm

doing the math for those supports that i found on amazon
at 6 feet supported at the ends you need a 1.25 inch round dowel at a minum of poplar or stronger
the issue i have using that as a bunk for an adult is that i would not want to sleep under it.
I did see one built that had bunks for kids under 100 pounds and i would be ok with that.
200 is pushing it, for me.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Next

Return to Member Designs