Modified 5x10 Benroy

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Modified 5x10 Benroy

Postby wyrdone » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Based off a combination of AlgoDan's design and Alaska Teardrop's construction techniques. (with under-storage)

I really liked AlgoDan's flat back setup. I also like a lot of _Ryan_'s interior and cabinet layout.

Side Profile View

Side Framing View

Top Framing View

Rear View

Notes:
Using a 5'x10 utility trailer frame w/ 15" wheels on 2000-3000 lb axle
Was thinking of making this using 1"x1"x18 gauge box steel frame (maybe using 16ga tubing for lower area since it'll be taking the weight). mainly to save on weight and for added strength. (also trying to find someone who might fabricate the frame from Aluminum box as well)
Exterior skinned with 1/2" ply w/ aluminum. (trying to find a source for 70" aluminum is hard. Might have to go with 60" and cover the lower section separately.)
Interior skinned with 1/4" ply.
Lower storage will house a 20ga water tank (situated over axle) and 1-2 AGM batteries.
Lower storage will have big full extension slide drawers at rear for kitchen storage. (We cook for larger groups so having extra space for stuff would be nice)
Lower storage will have side to side storage at front for things like popup canopy and chairs.
and some side hatch doors for "misc"
Roof will carry 1-2 Solar panels to feed AGM.
Target weight 1000-1200lbs dry. (prolly won't hit that but it's good to have a target)

So what am I missing?
Last edited by wyrdone on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

Re: Modified 5x10 Benroy

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:29 pm

Your Fenders and wheel will interfere with that back “ Under floor storage area” if that is an external door. If that back storage area is accessible from inside ( like under your mattress ) , it will be hard to get stuff in and out of it because your door is too far forward to make it convenient. With this TD being taller because of the under the floor storage, leaning in to access under the mattress storage is going to be hard.

For getting in and out of bed the door placement should be centered your body on the mattress, maybe just a few inches above your hips. Too far forward or backward makes it awkward to get in and out.

It look like the sink and cook countertop might be a bit high after you get your axle and tires drawn in.

The wheels I modeled are 13 inch rims @ 21 inch tall. just to give you an idea of the scale. Bottom section is 18" top is 48 " to your drawing. 5' w 10 Long. The Man is 6' foot tall, Woman is 5'6"

Other then that she look doable. I dont like the flat back but they do offer a lot of room. There is one on youtube that has a set down toilet inside using half the back galley area. ( I looked but could not find it. )
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wyrdone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:50 am

Hmmm good point about external access. Might have to re-design that access to be pull up floor inside to access that area.

The trailer I'm looking at will have 15" wheels and sit a bit higher off the ground. so I think the person height should be ok for access to the galley. Might look at doing sideway swing instead of lift up. Would give me a good support for a second work surface (making the galley into an L shape). and lower the cabinet. (Have to figure out how to do the Cooler storage though.)
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

Postby FIREBALL05 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:08 am

Good point about the doors by the poster above. Am I correct in reiterating that you want the center of the door roughly in the center of the bed for easiest access? I am designing my teardrop now so don't have any real world experience but would also imagine a side benefit of that is that you could access the Orange cabinets at the foot of the bed without climbing the whole way into the cabin.

Are you sure you want the sink and the stove permanently mounted? With a 5 foot wide counter, that doesn't leave you with much usable counterspace.
FIREBALL05
Teardrop Builder

Postby wyrdone » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 pm

The door above will be adjusted to be close to hip position. and yes under storage idea there is to be able to access it without leaving the trailer. (Open the door, drop down the access panel, slide out the drawer.)

Sink: Yes. with grey water drain to a bucket to dump.

Stove: I'm kind of back and forth with myself over that. I have a Coleman Dual-Fuel stove, but also a stove out of a pop-up camper that my neighbor was converting into a tailgater.

Hey Junkboy, what cad program is that you used? Sketchup? Can you send me the files? (wyrdone at gmail)
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 pm

The Cad program I use is called Wings3D. It is a free program. It is easy to use ( once you get use to the short cut keys ). It does not do much rendering. I’ll see if I can export that to SK-Up.

Edit ok I sent you a 3ds and a skp file.. The trailer is just a box not hollow or anything. The Frame and people are ones out of my “Maximum Headroom Pop up Teardrop” - “Max Headroom” ..
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wyrdone » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:30 pm

Update: 5'x10' utility trailer with 15" tires on 3500lb Dexter EZ-Lube axle purchased. Dry weight is right at 650lbs before I remove the lift gate and heavy duty board decking and replace with 3/4" Ply (covered in some aluminum skin or truck bed liner (haven't decided yet)). Should be around 500-550lbs after that.

The angle iron sides are approx 14" from decking and should make a good bolt down point for the cabin.

Ebrakes and break away kit are on order.
Tekonsha P3 is installed and ready.
Tranny oil cooler installed.
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

Postby wyrdone » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:35 pm

Update: It's been a few months (and cold ones). I spent a bit revisiting and refining my design and then transitioned into the build.

Did some white boarding:

========================

Build pictures moved to build thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63112
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebapuck » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:56 pm

I, personally , like the idea of the flat back. In pictures, it looks like you can get right up to the counter. I find that, at home, when I'm at the counter or sink, I tend to lean into it. The traditional teardrop, though a looker, leaves a lot of gap between rear edge and counter. Doesn't look comfortable.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby wyrdone » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:24 pm

Rebapuck,

That was my thinking as well. Here's my build thread btw. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63112
wyrdone
Teardrop Builder

Return to Member Designs