Runaway Campers

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Runaway Campers

Postby powelly78 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi,

I was thinking of building something like this company has as a first build, but with a galley and hatch out the back. It's not really a teardrop but it is tiny! (Not advertising for them, I just don't know how to add photos yet.

Only thing I don't like about there designs is I think the extrusion that joins the roof to the front and rear panels is raised and might trap water on the roof? Any ideas?

http://www.runawaycampers.com

Cheers.

Craig
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Re: Runaway Campers

Postby danlott » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Is it just me or do all the post that refer to the Runaway trailers all sound the same? Always someone looking for a simple trailer. Always claims to not be affiliated with or advertising for the company, yet always makes sure to spell the name correctly, including a link and most of the time a current price.

Sorry, maybe I am just having one of those days. There is a lot of smoke in my area from the wild fires in California, so not getting much work done outside.

Personally I would not build a trailer like these, not my style. I think you should always build with resale in mind and build something that people will want to buy. Maybe you do not think you will ever sell it, but there will be a time and day when you will. I have seen several box style trailers either not sell or not sell for very much. Just my opinion.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby powelly78 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Dan,

Sorry for giving a false impression, I actually live in NSW,
Australia, where Trailers/Caravans are horrendously overpriced. In the US-North American market there are lots more Teardrops and Small trailers available for more affordable prices.

If I lived in the US I would buy one of the Teardrop Kits or a readily made trailer from the many companies. But unfortunately I do not, and even if I chose to import one, there is a good chance I would still save money, but I then run the risk of the trailer itself not meeting the ADR (Australian design Rules) and it being a total loss. In Australia only one company sells kits, and another two manufacture.

I did consider when I posted that it might be considered an advertisement, but it was 3am and I was posting from bed and to be honest I couldn't be bothered looking up how to post pictures.

In future any posts concerning pictures for other companies products, I will post the photo with no link or reference to the company in question.

Thank you

Craig.
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby powelly78 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:47 pm

Oh and BTW Dan.

I was interested in the box (Benroy) style due to the high roofline throughout the design, as I have a young child and wished to put a small bunk in it side to side. Until the young bloke was big enough to fit a rooftop tent.

The curve of a teardrop is very nice, but though it might be a bit claustrophobic with the cabinets and bunk.

I hadn't even considered resale. So far I've priced it up to about $1700-1800 for me to build a benroy style trailer. Not including the cost of my time.

I guess if I built one and used it for 3 or 4 years, and sold it for $1500-1700 I'd be pretty happy.

It's too bad you can't get 6x10 trailer kits off the shelf.

Cheers.

Craig.
powelly78
Teardrop Builder

Postby Junkboy999 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:42 am

Powelly78

Hey welcome to the forums

There are a few people here that built campers this style or just a bit similar. Do a search for Rockhopper, weekenders, The more square boxy trailer do allow for a bit more space, and a roof top tent, later would be easier to mount.

So is Powelly a family name? or is it Powell Y.

Enjoy your stay in the forums and also search for Bunks, for ideas.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PaulC » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 am

powelly78 wrote:Oh and BTW Dan.

I was interested in the box (Benroy) style due to the high roofline throughout the design, as I have a young child and wished to put a small bunk in it side to side. Until the young bloke was big enough to fit a rooftop tent.

The curve of a teardrop is very nice, but though it might be a bit claustrophobic with the cabinets and bunk.

I hadn't even considered resale. So far I've priced it up to about $1700-1800 for me to build a benroy style trailer. Not including the cost of my time.

I guess if I built one and used it for 3 or 4 years, and sold it for $1500-1700 I'd be pretty happy.

It's too bad you can't get 6x10 trailer kits off the shelf.

Cheers.

Craig.

Hi Craig, I'm in Oz as well. Having built five TD's, from the Benroy shape through to a sportsman style, I can state that your pricing estimate is a tad on the short side. Budget for around 5k for a finished product and you will be close. Have you had a look at the free Benroy plans available on this site? Have fun with whatever you decide Mate.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:52 am

Welcome!

I actually like the overall design and simplicity of the runaway camper. I am contemplating a scaled-up version for my second build.

I agree that the trim at the roof to front and rear wall seems like it would trap moisture. I think it would be better to have a sheet metal shop "brake" the metal at the junctions even if it meant that you would have a seam on the roof. (I'd probably place it at the peak of the roof using a lap joint in the metal.)

The other detail on the runaway that I'm not crazy about is the front mounted AC unit. That seems to be asking for trouble for moisture intrusion. It is a convenient and efficient location though, so perhaps a removable sealed box would work.

For a similar design but with a back galley that you're wanting to do, check out Fred's Northern Lite Traveler:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991&p=956704#p956704
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Member Designs