Roll up drop

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Roll up drop

Postby backstrap bandit » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:00 am

I m not even finished with my first tear drop and already got an idea for a tear with a roll up galley door that will hide in the roof when open .wondering if anyone has built one yet and what do you think. You could use garage door track or route a recess in side wall like the roll top desk
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Re: Roll up drop

Postby KennethW » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:50 am

Not to discourage you.
It is always fun to be a little different.
But you would have no sun-rain shelter under the hatch. It would hard to seal and most likely and weight.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RLG-GSG » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:04 pm

I too have thought about using a tambour roll up for my TD build. However remembering how old desks often went a skew and got stuck made me think twice. Old style tambours were made with fabric between laminated wood slats. Thus they rolled easily. Not very water proof though. In todays world, some are probably made with some kind of water tight flexible inerards. However, the track remains the water leakage area. Not sure that can be easily over come.

My two cents worth.

George
RLG-GSG
Teardrop Inspector

Postby backstrap bandit » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:23 pm

On the contrary the tamboura can made the same way a garage doo is made with a lip on opposing sides that fit together making them waterproof and the sides will not bind if it is done right I have made many desks bread boxes and cabinets used to build custom cabinets for a living and also instead of using fabric to join them u can use hi she's similar to garage door but smaller weight shouldn't be any more than a conventional door if you build lightweight boxes similar again to a garage door and cover with metal
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:13 pm

But my garage door, made of four metal "boxes" leaks when the wind blows the rain against it. There are no seals between the individual door panels.

Remember that towing the trailer in a rain storm will produce the equivalent of high winds and heavy rain.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby backstrap bandit » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:08 am

Your door panels may be installed incorrectly because the way mine is built there is no way it can leak except on sides but there is weather stripping there so no way to leak unless weather stripping fails I put it up 15 years ago and no problems I'll have to take some pics later
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby backstrap bandit » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:13 am

I really appreciate everyone's input and ideas I'm going to try a model first to test my idea I know I can make it work and going to have my sister draw up some plans on cad she does mechanical and architectural drafting
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby jeffmika » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 am

I saw a nice trailer the other day with two swingout to the side doors..nice design..I am in a build now and have decided to use this idea instead of a single door..:-)
jeffmika
Teardrop Inspector

Postby backstrap bandit » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:45 am

That does sound neat idea you may be able to utilize a swing out counter top to rest on doors that would bee cool make them split doors an upper and lower half on each so the bottom could support counter top when opened just a thought
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby glenpinpat » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:19 am

many of the roll up doors on trucks are made of plastic and not wood. Postal vehicles have them on their small vans no bigger than a td hatch. Some commercial garage doors use panels of insulation sandwiched between aluminum to reduce weight and every one uses tongue and groove to keep it water tight. I had considered this idea when I was designing my present build but decided to remove the hatch all together.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:53 am

How about a folding automotive sunroof?

Here is a company that makes them in a variety of sizes: http://www.slidingragtops.com/
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:49 pm

backstrap bandit

Anything can be done if you willing to do it or pay someone to do it. In Germany we had Rolladens windows covers mounted to the houses. The covers rolled up into a box that is mounted in the wall and stick out a bit above the windows. http://rolladenlv.com/

I'm sure you can make a roll up hatch with a heavy felt seal and then a rain channel to catch any water.

The Air going over the back of the TD while driving might try to bow the middle of the door if it is not stiff from side to side. :)

Another thing to look at is the hatch gives a little shelter while cooking :). Keeps bird poop out of the bacon and eggs. :lol:

Keep us posted
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Member Designs