Family teardrop ideals?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Re: Family teardrop ideals?

Postby KennethW » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:21 pm

scottychop wrote:I have been pondering the young family route myself. We just sold our Westfalia and are thinking popup or teardrop. I like teardrops for the simple camp setup factor alone. I LOVE the terradrop trailers and am modeling one on sketchup now, but with a twist. I'd like to put a small pop-out tent on the hitch side for my son. It could even fold laterally for a larger person.

Roof top tents (RTT) are way to damn expensive. With load bars and proper weather coverage you're looking at $2K. And they leak. And they mold.

Like that ideal. Only without the canvas. I would make fold in walls and roof. Made it hard side. I hate wet canvas that needs it dry in the morning.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:48 pm

Our kids grew up in tents when we camped and my daughter and her husband and children have used her old tent to accompany us. The twins with our tear.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:43 am

Resurrecting an old thread here, but you could easily eliminate the canvas and make that a hard-sided tip out. Just make the walls a quarter circle radius and close the top over with kerfed foam or lightweight 1/8" ply. I'd do two layers of ply if you go that route glued on one at a time.

The problem with canvas is it isn't as durable, it smells if you don't care for it just right, and it does nothing to block campground noise.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Previous

Return to Member Designs