My first wagon

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

My first wagon

Postby JanxAngel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello all!

I've got some preliminary designs worked up and wanted to get some feedback started. I am trying to learn some SketchUp but it is a bit slow going since the controls are a touch different than Photoshop or GIMP. I also don't want to spend too much time with the first draft, when I'd rather invest it in the fine tuning.

So for right now, I have this idea I've been working up in Excel on some downtime at work. The curve tool works, but that's about all I can say for it. I have one drawing I did in pencil real fast to get the idea of the front across (I hope).

I'm going for a vardo-style wagon, with some creative design elements. I want a pop-up too for easier towing. My car (2015 Jeep Renegade w/ 2.4L engine) is manufacturer rated for 2000 lbs of towing, but I'm not sure if that's the real top end. That's the number I have though, so I'm trying to cut weight wherever I can and bring it in under that number with room for gear and supplies.

I'm planning on using the wagon for small camping outings, long weekends with the occasional week long trip, so I'm not setting up for long term off grid life. At least not now.

The pop-up I figured on facilitating using some gas springs in the corners that will support just under the weight of the upper section, so I just have to give it a little lift and peg it up with some grade 8 bolts on arrival.

I also am working with the idea of a pvc and canvas/tarp cover on the back wall (facing the car) to round that face during travel, but I haven't done any drawings yet.

The size of the wagon in these plans is nominally 5'x10'. Please click for bigger pictures.

I should clarify that when I say "front" I mean the entrance area, which would be on the back of the trailer in relation to the car. I certainly would not want to have that large overhang facing into the wind.

I'll appreciate any help I can get on this, so thanks in advance! :)

This is the top down view of the floor. On the left the bed is extended, on the right, folded into sofa mode. Below the bed will be the galley area and storage or utility area. Haven't planned much detail on that portion yet, so the boxes are mostly placeholders right now.

This is the side view with the bed extended as well as an Excel attempt at the profile of the top curve.

This is the side with the sofa folded. Underneath will be a set of built in drawers. The rail is the double line at 15" height and the lines behind the cushions are the folded up portion of the bed frame.

This is the front head on. The door will be split in the middle, so please ignore the curve below the straight line in the middle of the door. The awning over the side window will either fold up or be removable for travel, and I have some ideas on that front, but I'm not ready to share just yet. To keep both weight and cost down, I was planning on probably using Lexan or similar instead of glass on my windows. The blue lines on the sides are the side windows. Oh and the pink is to mark the "danger zone" since this is a pop-up build idea.

This is the back from inside, so you not only see the back window, but the drawers under the sofa.

And finally, this is my front perspective drawing. Forgive the crudeness as I did this in two minutes at my desk with a pencil that is too soft for technical drawing.

Thanks again!
Last edited by JanxAngel on Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanxAngel
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My first wagon

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:36 pm

In many cases it isn't the weight so much as the size that will matter when towing. Having a flat front, even on a very small trailer, can put a substantial strain on the tow vehicle with a small drive train combo. In addition, if you have a large overhang on the front, it can create a massive air dam. Kind of like towing a parachute.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: My first wagon

Postby JanxAngel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:45 pm

daveesl77 wrote:In many cases it isn't the weight so much as the size that will matter when towing. Having a flat front, even on a very small trailer, can put a substantial strain on the tow vehicle with a small drive train combo. In addition, if you have a large overhang on the front, it can create a massive air dam. Kind of like towing a parachute.

dave

I should clarify that when I say "front" I mean the entrance area, which would be on the back of the trailer in relation to the car. I certainly would not want to have that large overhang facing into the wind.

JanxAngel
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs