Twin Bed Based Teardrop

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Twin Bed Based Teardrop

Postby kayakbuilder » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:51 pm

I have a Harbor Freight 40-1/2 in x 48 in Utility Trailer that was for a project that I decided not to do. Image https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62665.html I already have one Teardrop that I refurbished and am renting out, and want to build a second. I am considering building a single person twin bed based teardrop using this trailer. I would have to lengthen the frame, but that would be minor. I've made several kayaks and canoes (some of my own design), and feel comfortable with the build process. The body would roughly be 6.5 ft long, 4 ft tall and 40.5 inches wide. The galley would not have under-counter cabinets, but just have some simple over-counter cabinets. It would be set up for a single person, or a smaller adult with a child. I am thinking of building it very lightweight using similar construction to my stitch and glue kayaks. I did a quick sketch of what I have in my head.
Kayakbuilder (aka Mike)
'04 Freedom High Desert Designs Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation Special Edition
kayakbuilder
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Twin Bed Based Teardrop

Postby working on it » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:47 pm

• That trailer as a base isn't much different than my TTT, which started out at 50" x 60", with 8" tires. In the following picture you'll see a twin-bed fspring set laid over the trailer, just to get an idea of how much I would have to extend the frame, to fit it in. The original width wasn't changed, but 36" was added to the length (12" front, 24" rear).
  • before, and after, frame enlargement.jpg
    before, and after, frame enlargement.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
    twin-bed springs to show how much to add; after it grew
  • If I were to use your HF trailer, I'd build a 2x4 frame above the metal one, up just high enough to clear the tops of the existing fenders, as the basis of a floor. Then, use a 3/4" plywood 4x8 sheet over and extending past that frame (in all directions). You could seal in that unused space, or insulate it, or use it to store extra gear. But, with the 4x8 sheet set properly, you'd have the base of a 4x8 TTT or teardrop to build upon.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kayakbuilder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 am

working on it wrote:
  • I'd build a 2x4 frame above the metal one, up just high enough to clear the tops of the existing fenders, as the basis of a floor. Then, use a 3/4" plywood 4x8 sheet over and extending past that frame (in all directions). You could seal in that unused space, or insulate it, or use it to store extra gear. But, with the 4x8 sheet set properly, you'd have the base of a 4x8 TTT or teardrop to build upon.

I had thought about doing exactly that, my concern about it is the width of the cabin and the stability. I will be renting it out, and wan't a very stable platform for towing novices. If I build a 4x8 cabin, I'd probably just pick up a real 4x8 trailer. I probably willl build a 4x8 later.
Kayakbuilder (aka Mike)
kayakbuilder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:48 am

kayakbuilder wrote:
working on it wrote:
  • I'd build a 2x4 frame above the metal one, up just high enough to clear the tops of the existing fenders, as the basis of a floor. Then, use a 3/4" plywood 4x8 sheet over and extending past that frame (in all directions). You could seal in that unused space, or insulate it, or use it to store extra gear. But, with the 4x8 sheet set properly, you'd have the base of a 4x8 TTT or teardrop to build upon.

I had thought about doing exactly that, my concern about it is the width of the cabin and the stability. I will be renting it out, and wan't a very stable platform for towing novices. If I build a 4x8 cabin, I'd probably just pick up a real 4x8 trailer. I probably willl build a 4x8 later.
I have thought about renting out teardrops as well.what has been your your experience? How often And much do they rent for? Thanks

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:30 pm

kayakbuilder wrote:
working on it wrote:

I had thought about doing exactly that, my concern about it is the width of the cabin and the stability. I will be renting it out, and wan't a very stable platform for towing novices. If I build a 4x8 cabin, I'd probably just pick up a real 4x8 trailer. I probably will build a 4x8 later.
  • It wouldn't be top heavy if you...dare I say it?...built it with layered, sandwiched ply on foam, or just foam with PMF? That's certainly not going to be as heavy topside as my 3/4" plywood "tank", which still has a reasonably low center of gravity.
  • center of gravity changed over the years.png
    center of gravity changed over the years.png (586.91 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
    until recently, I kept the center of gravity comparatively low
  • I recently added a front rack to my trailer, to which I strapped 100 lbs of canopies and folding chair. I may also attach my "pantry box" just above my tongue box, for an additional raised load of 65 lbs.
  • 148333 added a front rack; raised my center of gravity, I'm sure
  • Still, with 2020 lbs overall, and a 66" track (not to mention a firm suspension), I don't think my trailer's stability will be adversely affected. If you build with an eye to keeping a low COG, then all will work out well for this little trailer.
Last edited by working on it on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kayakbuilder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:07 pm

Graniterich wrote:I have thought about renting out teardrops as well.what has been your your experience? How often And much do they rent for? Thanks

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk

We just started renting the teardrop at the beginning of summer. It has been out almost all summer with just a day or two between rentals. It is just finally starting to slow down now.
We rent it for $60/night (2 night minimum), $400/week, or $1500/month. My daughter is in charge of the cleaning, and she gets the cleaning fees, so it provides a job for one of our teenagers.
It is a 13-year-old trailer with no plumbing or gas. We supply an AC/DC fridge, Coleman camp stove, 7 gallon water jug, and utensils and dishes. The galley could stand to be redone, but has fresh paint, so it looks okay. We enjoy meeting the renters, everyone has been great. Renting the teardrop has been much easier than our 23 footer, as there is so much less to break, no awning, water or gas is a good thing. :thumbsup:

It has been a good enough thing that we are planning on expanding our fleet.

Here is the link for the rental so you can see what we offer. I am not trying to drum up more business as this isn't the place for if, and were are already plenty busy.
https://rvshare.com/rvs/details/1004952
Kayakbuilder (aka Mike)
kayakbuilder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kayakbuilder » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:44 pm

working on it wrote:
  • It wouldn't be top heavy if you...dare I say it?...built it with layered, sandwiched ply on foam, or just foam with PMF? That's certainly not going to be as heavy topside as my 3/4" plywood "tank", which still has a reasonably low center of gravity.
  • I recently added a front rack to my trailer, to which I strapped 100 lbs of canopies and folding chair. I may also attach my "pantry box" just above my tongue box, for an additional raised load of 65 lbs.
  • Still, with 2020 lbs overall, and a 66" track (not to mention a firm suspension), I don't think my trailer's stability will be adversely affected. If you build with an eye to keeping a low COG, then all will work out well for this little trailer.

I do plan on keeping it light with 3mm okoume covered with 6oz glass for the roof, and 6mm okoume, covered with 6oz glass for the sides. I may even switch to 4oz satin-weave s-glass for more strength with less weight. I am very used to working with both wood and fiberglass.
This is a kayak that I build for rock gardening. It is 18' long and made with 4mm okoume with 2 layers of 4oz satin-weave s-glass. It weighs 42 lbs, and survived being drug on the highway at 50 mph, with only a minor patch needed to seal the wood. It is right around the designer's expected weight, but the strength is around 3 times as strong.

The track on this trailer is 48" and the height (vent excluded) will be 66", so it is quite narrow for it's height. Adding width (and possibly height) to the cabin and extra weight on the narrow trailer may still be acceptable, but I would rather be extra safe on my first build. Also, a single person (or 1-1/2 person) ultralight trailer may fill a niche that a bigger and slightly heavier trailer might not.
Kayakbuilder (aka Mike)
kayakbuilder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kayakbuilder » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 pm

working on it wrote:
working on it wrote:

Are there examples of other 4x8 teardrops built on trailers with a 48" track?
Kayakbuilder (aka Mike)
kayakbuilder
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cheri832 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Kayakbuilder,
I built a twin bed sized teardrop. You can see a few pictures in my album. I used the same trailer, cantilevered the front 1 ft and back 2, so I had 7 ft. Managed a workable galley, a little bit of storage, and it tracks behind my Miata like it's not there. I used 1x3 poplar with Okoume 1/4 ply walls, screen and vinyl "convertible" top...ended up weighing 500 lbs fully loaded. It's perfect for those solo trips. Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your build. :thumbsup:
Cheri
cheri832
Donating Member

Postby kayakbuilder » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 pm

cheri832 wrote:Kayakbuilder,
I built a twin bed sized teardrop. You can see a few pictures in my album. I used the same trailer, cantilevered the front 1 ft and back 2, so I had 7 ft. Managed a workable galley, a little bit of storage, and it tracks behind my Miata like it's not there. I used 1x3 poplar with Okoume 1/4 ply walls, screen and vinyl "convertible" top...ended up weighing 500 lbs fully loaded. It's perfect for those solo trips. Good luck. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your build. :thumbsup:

I like it, It is very similar to what I have in mind. I'll have to look closely at your album before I start. BTW, I was just down in Clearwater last month. We did a trip out to the gulf coast while we were down in Clermont for the Sprint Canoe and Kayak National Championships. My daughter was racing her canoe down there.

Kayakbuilder (aka Mike)
kayakbuilder
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Member Designs