Design feedback

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Design feedback

Postby philpom » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Hi!

I started a build journal to chronicle my build and was hoping for some feedback there but perhaps it was the wrong place? I am very early in the build, actually inside cooling off right now, I have been out bolting the floor to the trailer but it is 100f outside right now.

I have spent a lot of time sketching and throwing away and sketching again. I want a design that is pleasing but also not overly ambitious. Here is a list of characteristics I have planned for:

1. Large purchased hatch for the rear trunk
2. Air conditioning mounted high in the rear bulkhead
3. HF Super Duty trailer
4. Large shallow radius on the leading edge
5. Square Back
6. 3/4" walls w/no insulation
7. 3/4" floor with 5/8" rubber mat on the inside as insulation
8. 2x2 ceiling spars with full insulation
9. Reverse sleeping accommodations, head towards the rear
10. Convertible queen sleeper/sofa
11. AC/DC power options, batteries w/solar

I have purchased windows, door and hatch already. I actually hope to start cutting the walls out for them shortly. I do not want to make any glaring life changing errors during this project and am hoping to rely on the folks here that have demonstrated some amazing builds.

The basic dimensions will be: 9' long, 64" wide and 4' high plus the height of the roof vent. The floor is sitting roughly 20" from the ground. Here are some pictures of what I have so far for the floor and the design sketches I put together as a general guide.

Glued, primed, caulked and painted with exterior acrylic. Bolted down using 3/8" carriage bolts, silicone squirt down each hole, nylon nuts.

I am probably going to use bed liner for the outside and a light stain for the inside. I am using maple 3/4" grade A plywood for the walls. The floor is BCX. I am thinking FRP for the roof however I could be talked in to something else if it isn't extremely hard to do. $$ isn't a huge factor, this is for fun!

The walls will sit on the floor, a 2x2 will run the inside and act as the attachment point. I will use construction adhesive everywhere.

Thank you very much for sharing the wisdom you have all gained over time.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Re: Design feedback

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:35 pm

The basic dimensions will be: 9' long, 64" wide and 4' high

Why 64? Or 5' 4"?

I can hardly imagine building a teardrop without using Baltic birch, which of course comes in 5' x 5' sheets. It makes for a sweet 60" wide 'drop with minimal waste. :thinking:

Perhaps you need that 4" to squirt over your tires?

Tony

p.s. Your 32" door might be a head knocker. Why not 36"?
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby philpom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:34 am

tony.latham wrote:
The basic dimensions will be: 9' long, 64" wide and 4' high

Why 64? Or 5' 4"?

I can hardly imagine building a teardrop without using Baltic birch, which of course comes in 5' x 5' sheets. It makes for a sweet 60" wide 'drop with minimal waste. :thinking:

Perhaps you need that 4" to squirt over your tires?

Tony

p.s. Your 32" door might be a head knocker. Why not 36"?

The door is what I could get my hands on, if it is an issue I'll hunt down a 36" door down the road.

5' 4" gets me just past the wheels so I can have concealed wheel wells. It also give allowance for wall thickness giving me a full 60" width inside. The walls will sit on the floor instead of hanging on the side. I believe this will give me better strength and full interior height.

Any waste will be repurposed for shelves etc.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:24 am

5' 4" gets me just past the wheels so I can have concealed wheel wells.

Just make sure you will be able to change a tire. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby philpom » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:
5' 4" gets me just past the wheels so I can have concealed wheel wells.

Just make sure you will be able to change a tire. :thumbsup:

Tony

No worries there, the wells are very shallow and I should even be able to upsize the tires in the future. I plan on a pretty aggressive trim on the bottom edge but it will be flexible. Here are a few shots to illustrate the clearance. I expect a well at or near 1.5".

I am using the potential travel distance from the top of the axle to the bottom of the leaf mount as a guide.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby philpom » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:30 pm

This is my first attempt at building a camper. For those those that have offered the tip/trick and advice, thank you.

I well in to this build now and it is my hope that the experts here would have chimed in if I had a glaring flaw in my plan. This camper will spend its idle time in a garage. I might toss it out back from time to time to make room for another project. I hope this will increase its life.

Thanks!
philpom
Teardrop Master

Return to Member Designs