It's sure hot here in Australia

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

It's sure hot here in Australia

Postby Kody » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:41 am

The heat here in the southern areas of Australia have broken all records. The temperature has been 43 to 44 and 45 C which is stinking hot for over a week. The heat has created a weather pattern that has produced hundreds of lightning strikes, many of which have started bush fires. At least one person is dead and four more are missing. To make it worse, the police have arrested three teenagers about 17 to 18 for lighting at least one of the bush fires. There have been hundreds of homes lost and lots of pets as well. The survivors of the burnt homes only have the clothes they are wearing. There is so much trauma and sadness here that it is indescribable. The people are in a dazed state of traumatic shock having lost everything they treasured as keepsakes. The heat and the wind is continuing unabated.

Some good news but it pales beside the news from the south. The heat here on the Central Coast has subsided a lot and we have had some wonderful rain. A total of more than 6 inches has brought wonderful relief. It has washed the air clean and the forest smells so good once more. Th grass started growing the day after the first rain and now, after eight days, we have to begin mowing with the ride on. Before we can commence mowing, I have to pick up about half a ton of fallen branches and cart them to the dump.
The TD is progressing well now that it's beautifully cool. I will write up a post for you all later.

Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Re: It's sure hot here in Australia

Postby Mary C » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Thanks for the weather update, I have been praying for a weather change there and here. We had the coldest days we have had in 20 years and the cold is not letting up. It is not as cold but still cold. we should be at 55 average but it has been 38 to 45 F and we need some warmer days, Georgia had the wettest summer we have had in 25 years. The most humidity in consecutive days in 25 years and wouldn't' you know it, this was the summer I picked out to make a foamie using lots and lots of glue. It took forever to dry. It seems that the whole world is having extremes in temp, rain, snow and crazy weather. Good luck,

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:01 am

Wish I could trade you about 20 degrees of colder weather for some of the heat.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kody » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:15 am

The weather has been so horrific in the State of Victoria that there are now 95 bush-fires burning in Victoria alone. These are all created from dry (no rain) lightning strikes. About half of them are under control but the others are burning in areas that cannot be reached. The fires are worse than those of 2 years ago. Living with bush-fires certainly destroys your morale. There is so much sadness everywhere you go. The areas that are burning are the same areas that we hoped to visit when the TD is finished. The country will never look the same for some years to come. It's just the way it is.

Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:46 pm

When do they expect that the fires will burn out? Or, will they continue to burn into your winter?

I'm glad to hear that things are better in your area. But, still sad about the bush.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Off Topic