The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby toypusher » Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 pm

OK, just not feeling that great lately. Not sleeping well at all. Keep waking up too much and too early a few mornings. :(

Just upgraded both desktop PCs to Windows 10. Mine works great, but my wife's does not seem to be 100% for now at least. :x

Mid 80's here today and going to be that warm or warmer and more humid the next couple days. Oh joy! :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 am

I had a Dr. appointment yesterday.. which cut into work time. I ended up doing errands while "out". I went to pick up 2x4's incase my roofing came in for this weekend. When I got there they told me my roofing just came in. They delivered it late yesterday. I did some work on the gabions and then when Laurie got home we did some mowing while waiting for the delivery truck.

We each have a 4 day weekend coming up. :D I hope to get the next roof put on. I probably won't do this one in a day. I think it will be in the shade, which would help, but it is harder to get materials to it, it's also up higher… and I might have some branches in the way.

We have more mowing to do, other flashing to put up.. A new window to install in the barn.. the retaining wall to work on…. trail work.. so we shouldn't run out of stuff to do. ;)
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Fri May 27, 2016 2:47 pm

We had coolish cloudy and showery this morning, although nothing heavy here. We worked on the roof. This one is a little tougher to work on. It's higher up.. which is a little problem on one side. We also have to carry everything up and across a lower roof, to get at this one. It also had a LOT of pine needles on it. We got a bit done, but then we had a heavier shower….. so we moved on to framing up that new barn window. Then after lunch the weather looked to be better.. so back up to the roof. We have about 1/3 of it down… although that is more than 1/3 of the work done. We have the needles off all of it, and most of the nails out of the old roofing.

Back out for another 3rd I guess. take off the old roof.. install new strapping then more roofing.. Once the strapping is down.. the roofing goes pretty quick.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat May 28, 2016 11:41 am

Only a 3 day weekend for me. But, really glad to have it after this last week. It turned very hot and humid the last 3 days and I have not been ready for it. Just totally wiped out by the end of the day lately. Pretty warm and humid today too. Have been doing some outside stuff here this morning. Dug out some small bushes that we don't want and took down an overhead pipe that the previous guy used to lift his mower up for blade changes, etc. It is 2.5 inch black iron pipe and about 15 feet long. Had my 4 wheeler out today too and ran it up and down the road in front of the house (about a 1/4 mile stretch and it felt good to have the wind in my hair (at least on my head - no hair to speak of these days) :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat May 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Hot humid weather was forecasted for today.. so we wanted an early start on the roof.. got out by 7:00.. and got to work.. and about 8:30 the power went out. :x :x A car accident some where. Soooo we headed for the woods to do trail work. Maybe a couple of hours worth. Then back to work on the roof.

This roof feels sooo much worse than the last one… Yet I don't think it is anything one should be nervous on.. which makes it frustrating. I am having a harder time today that yesterday.. working on the same roof. :thinking:

I work a bit.. then take a break.. work then break.. just so I can relax and take a few deep breathes. :oops: The outer rake on this roof.. on the far end has some rot. It seems to be just the 1" board strapping.. and an board that runs underneath.. connecting them all. Hopefully I have some of this full 1" boarding left. Otherwise I am not sure what I will do. :thinking:

I have some old 1" board. Rough all sides.. so it is thicker. [sometimes It pays to keep stuff around] :D

The rot is limited to the 1" strapping and the connecting board underneath the end. The rafters are good. I am adding a piece to the side of the next to last rafters… to give me more room to fasten the replacement board. [and to make cutting the old strapping out easier]. So I am getting there. I needed to come down to rip more board down to size.. and to get something else to drink.

I am guessing I won't get it all done today.. but most of it maybe.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sun May 29, 2016 10:23 am

I did not get it finished yesterday. I am still working on it now. It was rather unpleasant up there today. There is a partial loft inside that end.. so I have been able to go down in there to do some of the work.. but then I get to play with another phobia.. claustrophobia :lol: :NC Of course all this kneeling and my knees are killing me… and my feet have been going to sleep.. which doesn't make moving around on a roof all that fun. I do, now have all the strapping put on, and just have to go out and put one more piece of roofing on.

I have yet to do one roof higher.. :frightened: The weird thing is I built the barn to start with.. and put that original roof up there. :thinking: Anyways.. One more piece.. then I can more slowly work on getting the rest of the screws installed.. flashing and trim.. that window.. and them much of the upper walls will receive metal also. I will putter away at this in-between working on the retaining walls.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 am

We did a bunch of work outside yesterday again and I am pretty sore (did not sleep very well either). We have to go shopping today and go to the wife's office to put A/Cs in.

I mowed again yesterday and then decided to try my mew lift and discovered the mower blades are pretty dull. Will try to get them off today and take them into work tomorrow to sharpen them. Should make a huge difference in how the grass looks. :D

Hope you got the roof all done and don't have to get up there any more for a long, long time. 8)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 30, 2016 6:07 am

I should sharpen some blades also. :thinking:
We have a cold.. and rainy today.. or a bit of showers anyways. It's not raining yet though. I am not sure what we will do today.

Maybe just putter around… house work.. and take it easy. Although I am sure Laurie would not mind heading to the woods for some work also.

I did get that last bit of roofing up, but unfortunately I am not done up there. I have a lot of flashings and such to put up. Although a bit of it is in places where I was ok. I figure maybe with more work in the not so scary places.. I can get a little more comfortable to the harder places won't be so bad. Some of the work I need to do on that last roof.. might be better off a ladder. [putting screws in that outer edge for example] Also perhaps tying myself off. There is the upper most roof to do.. and I am not even going to think about that one yet. I have a lot of other work to do on the barn first,as well as the retaining walls, and porch.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon May 30, 2016 6:37 pm

I was pretty tired today.. and ended up migrainey. I did get some little projects done. We had put up some string lights on the porch.. they were temporaily put up with push pins, well I put them up better with cup hooks. I did some work on a couple of bikes… and mounted cleats on my new shoes. I started working on a small wood box that will set under the bench on the porch by our fireplace… and maybe some other things... :thinking:

We then joined in on a different group ride tonight. It was a slower ride.. but it was nice to just follow a wheel and not worry about where to go.. or what pace.. etc.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 pm

Today was a messed up day. First.. I didn't sleep well. It took a while to fall asleep.. and then I woke a LOT. I woke at 4:00ish.. and feel back asleep at around 5:00… and then didn't wake until 8:00.. and felt really really foggy. :? I was doing some work here.. but also talking to Laurie some on e-mail.. and our cable went out… tv and internet. I came back in to check on it.. and got a phone call.. from a "co-worker" from our Other store. Paul had a service call and the truck wouldn't start.. could I go in and jump start it. :thinking: :NC

The bosses brother had just had a heart attack.. so he was out at the hospital.. the guys had ridden their bikes to work. Although Paul lived close enough he could have bike home and got his truck and be back quicker than I could get there. [picking up my tools etc.]

So I figure while I am out I can take care of some other stuff. { for one I needed blood drawn for lab work for an appointment next week.] \

The work truck is messed up.. I brought and used my jump pack.. or what ever you call them. It would not start with that.. and I wasn't going to hook my van up to it.

I got asked if I could work friday.. I at first said no… Paul has that service call .. and they have a 2 pieces of fitness equipment for delivery. For some reason.. we get to deliver that... :roll:

I get to the hospital for blood work.. and they asks if I have been fasting?!!!! No one said anything about that!!!! well they did it anyways.. but said my cholesterol reading would be high.. and tell the Dr.

I got a little work done today.. but not what I had planned.

I was going to have to work Friday.. but it sounds like I will drive down to our other store tomorrow.. and one of their guys and I will do the delivery.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:09 pm

So… so far anyways… :roll: I don't have to work tomorrow. Today.. a regular work day.. I drove the shop truck down to our other store.. picked up one of their employees.. and the 2 pieces of fitness gear..and delivered them.

Of course I wasn't able to repair bikes while gone… but otherwise that was it.

and it would not have been a good day to get a lot of repairs done.. I slept HORRIBLE last night. I could not fall asleep.. and did not stay asleep. I saw every hour last night. :o :(
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:14 pm

You are a busy guy! I am just a tired guy most days. Got rained out of mowing lawns this afternoon and now have to work at the GC at 5AM tomorrow and then mow lawns for 3 or 4 hours.

It stopped raining so we are going to go buy some plants that the wife wants tonight when she gets home. Most likely will be planting them tomorrow sometime.

I can not get my trimmer to run (or at least stay running), so I give up and am going to buy an new Husqvarna 128LD. That will hopefully last a good many years and be reliable too! :)

Sorry about your sleep, I have not been sleeping too good lately either! :(
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:48 pm

I found out my recent sleep problems. Laurie had some drinks in the pantry.. what I thought was juice drink.. was an "energy drink" They were diluted juice.. they didn't seem overly sweet.. so being in need of fluids I drank a few each evening. Well it seems they had green tea extract.. so therefor a bit of caffeine :o :? #dumbass

I sleep pretty good last night, although after a couple of nights on not.. I am still foggy and tired today.

We are cloudy and cool today. We had a chance of showers.. but nothing really happened here. Walking outside with short sleeves.. you could feel some stuff on your arms… a real fine mist.. yet the ground is still dry and dusty.

I did get some stuff done today. I finished the little wood box for the porch fireplace. [I just made a little box that fits under the bench… open on the side so the wood is accessible]. I boarded up the framed in window in the barn. Then Laurie came home early and she helped me install the window. We mowed a bit.. and I got a bit more "tying" on the gabion. I have just a little more to do on that before I can dig it's spot and place it.

We are heading to Dave and Angela's now, have a bike event tomorrow, and dinner out tomorrow night.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:46 am

Yeah, drinking energy drinks at night might be a problem for sleeping well! Glad you figured that out.

Not much new here. Working and then still doing cleanup stuff around here - outside that is. Getting rid of some stuff and killing weeds mostly. We did some flowers around the place this weekend.

I did get a new trimmer - Husqvarna 128L and I love it so far. We have husqvarna trimmers at both of my jobs and they are great. Not working the GC today, but will be doing a mulch job a little later this morning .
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:53 am

toypusher wrote:Yeah, drinking energy drinks at night might be a problem for sleeping well! Glad you figured that out.

Not much new here. Working and then still doing cleanup stuff around here - outside that is. Getting rid of some stuff and killing weeds mostly. We did some flowers around the place this weekend.

I did get a new trimmer - Husqvarna 128L and I love it so far. We have husqvarna trimmers at both of my jobs and they are great. Not working the GC today, but will be doing a mulch job a little later this morning .

Congrats on the trimmer. :D

We had a good day Saturday. We had the club event.. a family fun day. It was basically different group rides and a BBQ. We stayed behind to do another group kids ride. It's great seeing 7- 10 year olds that were out riding some of the adults. :o

On the way home we picked up cushions for our porch rocking chairs. The ones we had clashed bad.. but I hated to take the time to drive down and purchase new ones.. the ride wasn't that far from the store so.... :D

Dinner was awesome. I think this is my favorite place.. at least of all the places the Munchies group goes. It is a summer camp. A place where families rent cabins, but they have communal meals. The meals are in a big old farmhouse… maybe it was originally build as a summer camp. Outside it looks and feels like a farmhouse. It has a big common room, and a big screen porch. They open up for some outside people to join… with seperate seating out on the porch. It just has a great feel..atmosphere.. and really good food.

We then came home and had a fire on our porch. :)

Yesterday we mostly did trail work. Mentally it is a much needed break.. although not so much a rest physically.

We had a bit of rain last night… although we needed it. We may have more showers today.. actually this week sounds rather unsettled.

I have a Doctors appointment today.. in the middle of the day so it sort of messes things up. Although I might need an easier day to regroup. Do some laundry.. and get biking stuff together for the week. I do have more tying to do on the gabion, which is easy enough to do around showers.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic