The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:25 pm

I got a bit done early.. the old glazing stripped.. and then the wall strapped.

I then went to the lumber yard.. to get my glazing and accessories. I got my window area semi framed, and got the new glazing installed. I got quite a few wall boards up. I do have 6 more boards.. cut and the ends and edges stained. I actually might get most of it finished tomorrow.

It was pretty hot out there today.. although maybe a little better than yesterday. I am not sure about tomorrow, but the weekend is supposed to be better.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby Fenlason » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:47 am

We got the rest of the boards up on the wall. I still have the fascia to do.. and some more window trim. I got most of it stained. It is supposed to be a little less humid today. I don't recall the humidity but we still had temps in the low 90's. Mid day working in front of a south facing wall.. it's a little tough.

Unless we run into something for a problem, we should finish this wall today. The perhaps the small section over the new addition. We do have stuff on / around the porch yet to do. I have some soffit areas to stain, and trim to install. I need to replace the driveway side fascia.. but I also need to take the gutter down first. I am not sure if I will get to that before surgery.

Of course I still haven't plastered the backside of the parapet.. and built those gabions.. I am not sure we we will get to any of that. I can't really do any plastering without some lifting... or heavier lifting than I am supposed to be.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:42 pm

We got the rest of the wall stained.. put the fascia.. staining it before installation. I also had to relocate the power line into the barn. I got a piece installed up over the window. I have yet to install trim under the window sill.. and the lip over the "window". I thought I was going to have to pick up some lumber for that. but I did find a board that will work. In-between staining each fascia board.. we brought in some firewood.. bouncing back and forth between the tasks. We also had to take the big 3 pt hitch mower, and install our carry all box. We used the box vs the tractor bucket to haul wood. [much fewer trips] We did start working on the little wall above the dog house. The start of that was slow..

After supper.. I decided to head back out. I wanted to bring the excavator back to the house.. but although thought it might be dry enough to finish the work I had started with it.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:25 am

Had to work Saturday and Sunday had to do a bunch of errands. Yesterday i had a dentist appt, took wife's car to shop, and we had to go get my wife a new Military retired dependent card. Then I trimmed and mowed the lawn. It was still a bit warm yesterday, but less humid. Today it is in the low 60's and a lot less humid. Should be a nice day to work for a change.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:51 am

Sunday we got some work done on the barn... then went for a trail ride with Angela.. then did some trail work. Monday I did some errands.. some work on the barn.. and some trail work.. It was an easier day.. and we did have some rain.

Today was supposed to be rainy.. but it has cleared nicely. I did a little bike work and have been puttering on the barn... caulking here and there.. and putting some trim up.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice.. and Thursday rainy again. I think Laurie is taking tomorrow afternoon off.

I alternate from being anxious to get this surgery done.. to not wanting to be out of commission for the recovery.. to want to keep going on these projects... although there are some days it's pretty painful.. and it would be nice to have that gone.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:32 am

Yeah, I know what you mean about the surgery. I am kinda in that boat with my knee now. Of course i will wait until the mowing season is over, but wish I could have it done now to get rid of the pain and be able to do more.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 am

Yeah.. I was thinking a knee replacement would be my next surgery. It sort of entered my mind [and Laurie mentioned it also] wouldn't be nice to get the knee and neck done at the same time? Although I am not sure I would want to deal with the pain of both at the same time. The knee might take a bit longer to recuperate from.. I am hoping to have some fall left once I can start doing things.

I am heading out shortly to do some more work on the barn.. and Laurie has the afternoon off. I hope to finish the little wall above the doghouse this morning. Then Laurie and I will start on the south end of the 2nd story wall. That will leave the 50 foot west wall.. and the north end. The north end I am hoping for some small additions... and they will be more work than I can do before the surgery.. and I don't want them half finished.. so they will wait.

Tomorrow sounds showery.. but today.. and through the weekend sounds good. I am hoping to get this next south wall done before surgery.. but it might be a slow one. I will be up working from the roof.. so a lot of up and down the ladder.. also a lot of cutting and measuring.

We do have a couple of people coming to ride with us here on the trails.. first timers.. or first timers here.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:41 am

We had some new people coming over for a ride last night.. so we did some trail work. Just before lunch.. I did some mowing [with the Cub Cadet]. When Laurie got home the sun was strong right where we were to work.. and it was quite hot.. soooo we went out for trail work. We had 4 holes to fill.[undermined culvert areas]. We fixed those.. did some pruning.. string trimming.. and cut a few small trees. We were improving opening up some lines on some fast sections of trail.

We did get up on the roof for a little work waiting for our riders to show up. We had 3 ladies join us.. 2 were new here... one had ridden here a few years back.

So are it is been fairly wet today.. and I have mostly been working on trail tools.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:15 am

We probably have between 4 and 5 hours of mowing for today and it is to rain later today. Not sure we will get done or not and may have to finish tomorrow afternoon. :thinking:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm

We have pretty decent weather today. It is warmish.. although not brutally hot.. humidity is good. It has been slow going on the roof.. not bad.. just time consuming stuff... doing some custom flashing work. I have started on the boards.. the first one had a few cuts. I got side tracked with some cow rassling. Lee's cows and horse were out.

I had someone ask for a ride tomorrow morning.. and sort of wanted me to put it out to others.. so I posted.. and then he cancelled... :roll: Angela is going to come and ride anyways.. it might have not been the time of her choosing.. but it will work for her. I don't know if we will have others or not. :roll:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:47 am

Well, ended up only working a couple hours on Friday due to Truck problems. The lower radiator hose started leaking and we did not want to push our luck and have it break, so we had to just do a few lawns close to where we park and let the rest go. Will finish tomorrow most likely. And then it rained late Friday into the mid morning on Saturday. It did clear off yesterday afternoon and was nice. It is sunny and bright this morning with low humidity - should be a beautiful day today. Might get the lawn mowed here today.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:55 am

We have another gorgeous day. The forecast looks good through until my surgery. We got a bit done on the wall yesterday.. without killing ourselves. Out semi early..and got more boards up. [that were prepped late yesterday]. We have 8 more prepped now. Jon is coming over for a ride in just under an hour. He never got the email I sent Friday about yesterdays ride. Angela was the only one with us yesterday. While it's nice to have others join us. It is often easier with just the 3 of us. I know what Angela can and can't ride.. and while they are a little slower than I.. or I CAN be faster... often their speed is just fine. We cranked pretty well yesterday.. didn't stop much.. and rode an interesting combo of trails.

hmm I forgot we are going out to dinner tonight.. my Brothers anniversary.. We went to Jon and Hillary's last night. We had asked them to go out to dinner.. and they said they would rather we go over there for dinner.

I will have some trim to do around these new walls... that would be nice to get to, but not a problem if we don't. I do have some staining to do, again nice, but not a big deal. I have Monday and Tuesday.. to do this so that shouldn't be a problem.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 pm

I got these next 2 walls stained today... excepting for the fascia above one. I got much of that done, but not all of it. I got 8 other small boards up. I also did some mowing. We then had a great mountain bike ride tonight. It was just Angela, Laurie and I. This will be my last mountain bike ride before surgery.. we have our road ride tomorrow night.. then Wednesday night off.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:41 am

When is the surgery?
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:14 am

toypusher wrote:When is the surgery?

Some time Thursday.

I had a bit of pain last night.. and slept poorly because of it... still pretty painful right now.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic