camping wid kids

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

camping wid kids

Postby Chip » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:40 am

Well, let me set the senerio for ya,,
Girlfriend and I decided to take her 5 yearold grandaughter camping this past weekend, you know the therory, get them use to the great outdoors, enjoy nature, experience something new and different, quality time with the old folks, etc, etc etc, on and on,, Well I came to the fast realization that the big man upstairs really knew what he was doing when he gave kids to young people,, How you can pack so much energy into a 40 pound child is now beyond me,, I feel like I have been trying to keep up with a spider monkey on speed all weekend,,, we went on a canoe ride, climed up and over and into and around streams, rocks and boulders,, spent hours on the playground, fed ducks, went for seemingly endless walks, heard the infamous I'm hungry and then the even more famous,, I dont like that or I'm full only to hear it again 20 minutes later,, throw in a few I gotta go potty and I'm thirsty's and can we go back to the top of the mountain one more time and ya have a brief idea of how it went.
So if ya want an interesting weekend, packed full of activities, find a energetic 5 year old and take them camping,, I am wore slap out but had a ball,,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:55 am

Chip,
I can relate...
It's easy for me to start feeling like all I do is prep, cook and do most of the clean up when camping, but I know my kids are greatful and that's the pay off. I don't see myself handing over the cooking duties anytime soon, but they are starting to take an interest.

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:50 am

I've got 4 & 7 year old daughters. I have to go back to work after camping to rest. :SH
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby s4son » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:16 pm

Chip,

You know you're old when you have to start mixing Geritol with your pickle juice! :tipsy:

Scott F.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 am

Oy--you got that right, Chip.

(The "I don't like that" food part was particularly poignant for me.)

My 9-year-old is non-stop. (My 14-year-old has his own thing going.)

Whenever I talk to a "young" person (I'm 48...), I always tell them to have children when they're YOUNG. Get it OVER with!

I got married when I was 33. Do you have any idea what it's like playing soccer with your kid when you're 48--in August...in South Florida?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:55 pm

Enjoy those kids while they're little. They grow up so damn fast. Once they get into their teens, they really don't want to hang with Mom and Dad anymore.

My daughter is 22. This year she got engaged and graduated college.

My son is 17. He just started his senior year of high school.

I'm 44 and my wife is 42. Obviously, we started very young. It seems like yesterday when they were babies.

I'm looking forward to many years of spoiling the grand kids rotten then handing them back to their parents to deal with. Ahhh... revenge!
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:41 pm

Heck I have a 30 year old son, a 22 year old daughter and a 20 year old son,,, I sure wish one of them would grow up,, I am still waiting on that day,, just kidding,, they are a good lot but they had a rough life having me as a role model,, not a single one of them likes pickles though so I must have done something right,,,,,

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TomS » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:01 pm

Chip wrote:Heck I have a 30 year old son, a 22 year old daughter and a 20 year old son,,, I sure wish one of them would grow up ...

My wife wishes I would grow up. I refuse. I'm having too much fun :lol:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Joanne » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:49 pm

IraRat wrote:Oy--you got that right, Chip.

(The "I don't like that" food part was particularly poignant for me.)

My 9-year-old is non-stop. (My 14-year-old has his own thing going.)

Whenever I talk to a "young" person (I'm 48...), I always tell them to have children when they're YOUNG. Get it OVER with!

I got married when I was 33. Do you have any idea what it's like playing soccer with your kid when you're 48--in August...in South Florida?

Can you imagine what it would be like for them if you didn't? It makes me happy to hear you are out there playing with them regardless of your age. You are giving them memories that they will have for the rest of their lives. (Or will they haunt them the rest of their lives?) Anyway, my hat's off to you!

Middle of next month puts me at 48 years myself.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Sarge » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:46 pm

No one on this thread should be complaining....I'm 44 with a 4 year old and a 4 month old! Little Sarge and Tiny Sarge.

What was I thinking?!?!?!?!? :?

Heck, I'll be 60 yrs old when Tiny Sarge graduates from high school! :cry:

Truth is, I don't know what I did before them.

-Sarge
-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

2011 Three Feathers, Pinecone
2005 Hunter HU-4, Fat Shadow - SOLD
1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby Marck » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:12 am

So if ya want an interesting weekend, packed full of activities, find a energetic 5 year old and take them camping,

lol only ONE child????

Ask Len or Jan or Todd or anyone who was at Promised Land this year... You want to see worn out? Take all SIX of your kids camping with you.

You don't know worn out yet hehehehehehhe :shock: :lol: :D
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:56 am

Sarge wrote:No one on this thread should be complaining....I'm 44 with a 4 year old and a 4 month old! Little Sarge and Tiny Sarge.

What was I thinking?!?!?!?!? :?

Heck, I'll be 60 yrs old when Tiny Sarge graduates from high school! :cry:

Truth is, I don't know what I did before them.

-Sarge

I'm 41 with a 4 and 7 year olds. Both girls. :?
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby stjohn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:40 pm

Me and my wife are both 41 thisyear with 17 yr old boy and 18 yr old girl
both graduate this year thats what building our teardrop is all about we need a little rest before the grandkids come.

Mike

Lake Fork Tx. :thumbsup:
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby s4son » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:27 pm

stjohn wrote:Me and my wife are both 41 thisyear with 17 yr old boy and 18 yr old girl
both graduate this year thats what building our teardrop is all about we need a little rest before the grandkids come.

Mike

Lake Fork Tx. :thumbsup:

My kids are 24 and 20 and my idea of building the tear was the same as yours. A little quality alone time with my wife of 27 years. When she mentioned to the kids that we really want to go to the Redwoods gathering in Pamplin Grove next year, they both chimed in, "we want to go." They even agreed to sleep in a tent. I guess I should be happy they are both willing to still spend time with us but I'm beginning to think we'll never be alone again.

Scott F. :lol:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby kajamelu4 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:21 am

I have to ask, How many people take kids with them to gatherings? I've never attended any, but my 12 year son wanted to go to the one in Kansas last weekend. Prior plans wouldn't let us. I travel with 12 year old son, 14 year old daughter, and 20 year old daughter. Hubby and 19 year old son stay at home. They are happier that way, and so are we. Anyway, are there any kids at the gatherings??
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic