♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:22 pm

queeniejeanne wrote:
Cliffmeister2000 wrote:

That didn’t stop him from marrying seven more times before he gave up.

DJAYH's grandfather, having been married 4 times, thought the last at 93 was a problem.........so he got a circumcision. :R :R :R :R
Do I have something to look forward to ????

Queenie Jeanne

In my humble estimation, a person's past will always affect them, but how much it affects them, and in which direction, is a choice. My father chose to blame everyone and everything for the problems in his life. I choose to accept the responsibility for my own mistakes, try to improve, and let the good Lord keep working on me. :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:24 pm

YUM, HAM... NOT!

In high school, I was fortunate enough to land a job as a stockboy in a drug store, along with another boy. We shared the time, so one week I would work nine hours (3:00 to 6:00, MWF) and the next I would work 14 hours (Tuesday, Thursday, and eight on Saturday). Even by 1969 standards, at $1.65 per hour, the nine hour weeks didn’t net much of a paycheck. Still I worked there until I moved about halfway through my senior year. In that same period of time, Papa had at least six jobs that I can remember, plus a long period of sitting at home with nothing to do. It was during that period he became an accomplished dumpster diver. He even taught me how to do it.

Once, Papa pulled an unopened canned ham out of a dumpster behind a restaurant. Back in those days, canned goods didn’t have expiration dates on them, so he proudly brought it home. Mama looked at him like he had suddenly turned green and grown horns.

“I’m not eating that thing!â€
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:35 pm

A DUMPSTER DIVER'S DREAM JOB

I came home one day to visit the folks. It was mid week, and unexpected, so Mama asked what prompted me to drive the thirty or so miles on a Wednesday evening.

“Well, I was coming home from workâ€
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Hmm... I must have put you all to sleep... :NC
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:45 am

No way!!! Luv them all!!

w00h00!

I've been looking at a blank screen waiting for inspiration mahself :)

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:35 pm

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL LEASH LAW

I grew up before leash laws became popular. We always had a dog. The first one I remember was Cindy. Cindy was a typical tan terrier mix with a white half collar. About all I remember was, she ran away and dug a hole in a hillside and had pups one day. She would come home for food, and my older brother tailed her and found the pups. He collected them all up and brought them home.

I have no recollection of what happened to Cindy or to the other pups, but one of those pups was to become Sport. Sport was the best dog a kid could have. In first grade, sport followed me to school every day. This was no great feat, because our house was second from the end of the houses on our street. After the houses was a field of weeds. A dirt road separated our tract from the field, and if you were to take a right on the dirt road, shortly you would get to the school on the left. Funny thing about that school; it had a fence that seemed ten feet tall to me at the time. I wasn’t so tall, so my perspective was probably a mite off. The school was fenced along the road, and along the other, paved road, that made up the corner the school was situated on. The back lot, which was the playground, was not fenced. That made for an easy walk through the playground, onto the dirt road, and to my house. I never took the dirt road clear to our street, however; I hung a left at the street behind us, and through the neighbor’s yard and down the slope to my backyard.

Sport became the First Grade mascot, but we didn’t call him that. He just came to school, curled up in a corner or under my desk, and slept until recess or when school was out. Sport was a good dog, and my teacher knew it and let him have his space. In second grade, Sport was not allowed in the classroom, so he just curled up outside and waited patiently. By third grade, he was becoming an issue with the school, and one day the custodian tied him up to the incinerator. That was it; I had to teach Sport to stay home.

One day I came home to find Sport all chewed up. I don’t know if he left the yard and got in a dog fight, or, more likely, dogs came into our backyard and picked a fight with him, but he looked the worse for it. I was so upset, and for years I blamed the custodian. Papa came home and looked disgustedly at the dog, and said something to the effect that he would either make it or not. There was no trip to the vet in Sport’s future.

I had three more dogs while I lived at home, and we never had a fence or a chain for the dogs, and the dogs were never allowed in the house. Looking back, I see how cruel that is. Good fences build good neighbors, and good fences make for good, long lived dogs.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Anybody out there? The silence is deafening...
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:08 pm

I believe we are greedily waiting for more!

Meanwhile, I think I have another story in me.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:09 pm

MORE DOGS AND OTHER CRITTERS

Speaking of dogs.... There seems to be lots of different type of dogs: good ones, bad ones, timid ones. When it comes down to it, dogs are just dogs. They are pack animals with a hierarchy.

I'm an avid cyclist, and found unleashed dogs will pack together and have a great time chasing bicycles. Most cyclists aren't afraid of being bit so much as doing an endo when a dog gets in front of a moving bicycle (an endo is going end-over-end over the front of the handle bars). A squirt of water or Gatorade usually made the timid ones back up. Others took a spray of doggie "mace" to dissuade them.

As a graduate student, one of my de-stressors was to take a ride around the country roads of Clemson, SC. Around where I rode, most of the dogs weren't aggressive and out to bite a cyclist's legs, but a few had the potential. There was one I wasn't too sure of on my route. He lived to the right of the road at the top of a big hill. That hill was so much fun to ride down. I could get up to 28 mph before I'd have to turn. I would try to ride as quietly as I could to the top. That meant trying not to breathe and wheeze as I made it up the top. He'd be sitting on the porch, usually asleep with one eye open. As soon as I started to gain speed down the hill, there would be a brown blur to my right as the dog went from zero to sixty in an instant. He never barked the entire time. I'd pedal as fast as possible until I was too far for him to catch up. The lack of barking made me unsure of his motives. It's the quiet ones you have to watch. By the way, he never caught up to me. I considered him one of my personal trainers at the time.

Another dog, this one a rottie, always barked from behind his fence at me. One day, he had gotten out! I immediately began to slow down to a near stop when I felt a tug from my back wheel. He had grabbed onto my back wheel! He let out a little yelp and then his human called him back to the house. I think the spokes bit him back. I didn't get knocked of the bike, fortunately. Another close call.

Dogs weren't the only beasts that were a nuisance while cycling. When wearing zippered shirts open and riding a bicycle with dropped handle bars, sometimes bugs could hitch a ride in the, um, exposed crevices. On a lonely road, a big old bumblebee stumbled into my shirt in the above indicated area. I stopped that bicycle and ripped off my shirt and bra faster than a 15 yr old in heat. The good news was that I didn't get stung and the bee flew off unharmed, although it's flight path seemed a little more drunken than normal bumblebee's. I think we were both shocked at the turn of events. Another good thing was the road was one less traveled and there were no witnesses to the "Bee Strip Dance".

I continued cycling as a stress reliever after graduate school during a post-doc in the Texas Hill Country. I was shocked I didn't see any dogs while cycling. I was told that loose dogs didn't live very long there because they'd pack up and chase livestock. Not that cycling in Texas wasn't exciting without dogs. The first time I saw a cattle guard at the bottom of a hill made me about wet myself. Cattle guards are usually perpendicular pipes across roads spaced at 6 inches or so. Ranged cattle won't walk on the pipes. Makes a great way to keep cattle from escaping a field without having to put a gate in the middle of a road. Also made an East coast southern girl have a near heart attack when barreling down the road at 20+ mph during her first encounter with one of those guards.

Most the critters I encounter these days in the 'burbs of DC are of the two-legged variety. Those can be as nerve-racking as bees, cattle and dogs and as a result I am back to carrying doggie "mace".
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:17 pm

Great story, Ratkity!

My beloved and I are also avid cyclists, and I have a few stories I'll have to put to paper some day!

For those reading these little stories, if you like em, say so! We need to know we aren't wasting ether ink here! :)

Tex, you've been kinda quiet lately. I's about time for another installment from the master!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Definitley :thumbsup: thumbs up from me!!

I love everyone's different writing styles here too. I know there are stories in other people. They just haven't written them down yet!

Get crackin' folks.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:24 pm

I know for me, I've been told all my life I should write, and never did. Now I am, thanks to Tex. I have no idea if the stories are any good, but I know I really enjoy writing them! :thumbsup:

The rest of you, tell us a yarn or two! Please! It is unbelievably fun!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:02 pm

The stories are amazing and I just can't bring myself to interrupt. My goodness! :applause:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:04 am

I'm wondering if the fact that this thread is now a "sticky" is slowing down folks from finding it. I was looking for it the other day, finally had to do a Google search to find it, because I don't normally spend much time watching the stickies. :thinking: Or, it could be just me... :oops:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.

Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic