Teardrop Fiction

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Ratkity » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:45 am

Yay, another writer! Welcome Thomas.

Where's our other writers?

I'm on pins and needles wanting to know about what happens when Tex shows up for Thanksgiving dinner.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby queeniejeanne » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:16 pm

Alright Thomas..........QJ
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby 2bits » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Well, it said Teardrop Fiction, so why not... Thanks :)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Dusty82 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Sam - The Imported Schmuck

Sam was our English Springer Spaniel. We got Sam when a friend of ours decided that he couldn’t keep him. Now, I’ve never paid for a dog in my life because I’ve always thought there were just too many “throw-awayâ€
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby steve smoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:46 am

I like Sam already. Of course, I like most any dog that doesn't bite me.. :lol:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Ficton

Postby queeniejeanne » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:40 am

Hey great little story Dusty82, we are loving this thread. Glad to see another fine writer. Queenie Jeanne

PS Ratkity I am worried about him getting across the intersection, cause his mind is in the clouds....he must be careful.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby Ratkity » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:20 am

:applause: :applause:

I luv Sam already now!

Jeanne, I'm thinking the same. Tex has gotta be careful!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:06 am

I just filled the printer with paper, almost a ream. It looks like I've got a lot of good reading to catch up on.

Keep it up friends... :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby queeniejeanne » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:47 am

Hey glad you've come over to read.......Possibly write????Queenie Jeanne
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:10 am

Definitely read! But my son makes poetry when the pen hits the paper. At least in his mama's eyes... :)

Please don't stop writing - y'all are great!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for the positive replies, folks! I really do appreciate it!

Sam - The Schmuck Goes Mainland

My wife left active duty with the army in March of 1998. We left Hawaii on March 4th of that year, which was, coincidentally, our 10th anniversary. We flew to Southern California, where my wife and Sam stayed with her sister while I went up to Northern Nevada to find work and a place for us to live.

I found a job with a small countertop shop, and found a small single-wide trailer for us to live in. It wasn’t much, but it was a place to sleep that had a fenced yard and would allow dogs – even big brown and white schmucky ones. I then drove back down to So-Cal to retrieve my wife and schmuck.

If any of you have ever made an overseas military move, you know what’s involved. For those of you who haven’t, it goes something like this. About a month before you fly out, you ship your car to the nearest port in the continental US. For us, that happened to be Long Beach. About 2 weeks before you fly out, the movers show up and pack everything you can’t pry out of their hands into huge plywood shipping crates. They get sent to a storage facility near where you’re going. The storage facility then waits for you to get to wherever you’re going and get your act together so they can deliver your possessions. Our move from Hawaii (and yes, the army considers Hawaii to be an overseas move) was no different.

Once the three of us were in our new home, we tried to settle in as best we could. That took all of about 20 minutes. It’s easy to settle in when you have only a suitcase apiece. Since our furniture, along with everything else we owned, was in storage, we sat on the floor, we ate on the floor, and we slept on the floor. Actually, we borrowed the cushions from an old sofa that was stored in my parents’ garage and arranged them into a bed. On one hand it was actually pretty comfy. On the other hand, it put us at Sam level – not a good start in a new house.

Oh he didn’t try to climb into bed with us more than about a thousand times per night – no real biggie. The biggie was that when he wanted outside in the wee hours of the morning, he’d just trot on up and stick his fat schmucky nose in my face and breathe on me with a look that said, “Dude – you awake? I gotta go…â€

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby godskid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:04 pm

ROFL!! :D :applause:
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby steve smoot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Yep, Sam is a cool dude, I mean dog.. :applause:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby Dusty82 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks again for the positive comments!

Sam – Schmuckiness Meets Its Match

Once the novelty of having cows in a pasture next to our house wore off, and he found a few lumps of bravery, Sam discovered a new game to play. Whenever he had to go outside, he’d launch himself out the door, totally clearing the steps, and run as fast as he could toward the pasture fence. Any cows that happened to be anywhere near that fence were naturally startled and would run away from said fence. You could almost see Sam’s chest puff out as he turned to walk back toward the middle of the yard, and he added just a hint of swagger to his step over chasing off those huge, evil looking dogs that dared get near his turf. That game changed within a month.

A double-wide opened up in the trailer park within the same month we moved in (Woohoo! Movin’ on up!) and we dove on the chance to get out of the 14 X 60 we were existing in – hey, it looked good to us! I had to put up a hog wire fence to keep Sam in the yard, but other than that, we figured that the newer place was better than the old one. Sam took to the new place right away. The front and back doors in this new place opened to different yards (both now fenced,) so he was in heaven. The new yard also bordered a pasture, but we didn’t see any animals for about a month.

One morning I let Sam out into the yard, and low and behold, there were animals in the pasture! Instead of those big black evil looking dogs, there were these big white rather fluffy looking dogs this time. Sam spotted them at the same moment I did, and, true to form, he launched himself off the front step, and ran as hard as he could toward the pasture fence. Then something happened that his little brain couldn’t wrap itself around. The sheep didn’t run away. He let out a single WOOF! One sheep casually looked up in his general direction, and just stood there. Then another did the same thing – then another, and another.

By this time we’d had Sam for close to 2 years, so I was getting pretty good at reading our dog. He looked back at me with an expression that reflected total confusion. “What’s going on, Dude? Why aren’t they running away?â€

Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby godskid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Aw, darn it .... you know I cain't cry at work! Surreptitiously wiping my eyes.

I'm in love with Sam already!
godskid
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic