NFL Game of the "Weak"

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

NFL Game of the "Weak"

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:37 pm

Well,
It's official... my 49ers are the worst of the worst.
Miami (prev. 1-9) beat the Niners (prev.1-9) 24-17.
My team is now 1-10. When I was a kid, they used to go 2-12, then the NFL switched to a 16 game schedule, which produced 2-14 seasons for my team. Then came the golden years of Joe Montana & Co.
(Sure wish those golden times would return) :worship:

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:28 pm

Every team goes in cycles of stellar to cellar. Remember, the 49ers and Phins were in the Super Bowl together 20 years ago.

The Niners are my team as well, but it's hard to pay any attention when they're so bad they can't get any face time on TV. Fortunately for me, the Eagles have always been my #2 favorite in the NFC, so at least I've got something to cheer about. And, hey, T.O. does too, he could be 1-10 right now instead of 10-1.

My prediction: Eagles over the Pats in the Super Bowl (but just barely). (I'm going out on a limb, aren't I?)
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:14 pm

When I pick up the paper and there's a headline about T.O. ... That's my signal to turn the page.
Predictions? I predict Tony Stewart will win the Super Bowl. (Of Stock Car Racing... The Daytona 500)

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:49 pm

Now you're just being plain mean. I have this unsolvable dilemma whenever there is a Nascar race and a football game on at the same time. It's sorta like choosing the box with a $100 bill or choosing the box with 2 $50 bills.

Hey, there's a small bus in Eureka for sale on ebay (item #4507708756) that goes off today. Might make a good rv conversion.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby PUPTENT » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:10 am

Well Dean, and others - never thought the 49ers would pop up on a teardrop forum - I've been a 49er fan since 1954, when I went to my first game at Kezar Stadium as a wide-eyed 12 year old. I got season tickets in 1961 when my fraternity bought a bunch - by 1970 our seats had improved from the southwest corner above the tunnel to the 39 yard line, 25 rows up in the south-facing sun! Why? At times during the 1960s they were 2-12 and played worse. Not many fans. The last game I could have attended was vs. Oakland in 1970 and it put the 9ers into the playoffs. I couldn't attend - I was on my honeymoon. The next year they moved to Candlestick and I didn't renew. I've been a diehard now for 50 years. This year is pathetic - infighting, finger pointing, lack of talent, no qb, no leadership from the head coach, general manager, or owner. But, they did one thing right: they got rid of T.O. I don't care how many superbowls he wins - just glad he and his act are out of town. Philly won't make it to the Super Bowl - just my gut feeling - watchout for Atlanta and their great head coach, another 49er. This is Jim Mora's year.
In the reverent words of John Brodie: "Wait till next year!"
PUPTENT - Barry and wife - Class B RV
Novato, California
"Hey, while you're up, mind throwin' another log on the fire?"
PUPTENT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:49 am

Hey Puptent,
I really enjoyed reading your post and I share a lot of your thoughts.
I'm just curious how long Philly puts up with his act. Maybe he'll grow up, but I doubt it. (Ego Run Riot) The guy has the potential to become the greatest, but I think his ego is going to get the best of him.
I'll share with you how I became a 49er Fan.
When I was just a pup, watching football games on TV, only meant that my cartoons weren't going to be on that morning, so I didn't care for it much.
One day my Dad came home with a ton of 49er memorabilia. Turns out, John Brodie was passing through our little town on his way to go hunting.
He approached my Dad and asked for some tips on local hunting spots. My Dad spent a few hours talking with him in his motor home. In return for my Dad's advice, Mr. Brodie gave him all this memorabilia and told my Dad to share it with his kids.
Well... When my Father got home, he was pretty excited about his unexpected run in with the quarterback. That made me take note of what football was all about and I've been a Niner's Fan since.
Let's see... Ken Willard #40 was the running back at the time and he sure didn't have very many moves except North and South. I never did make it down to Kezar, but have been to quite a few games at the Stick. It's been quite a while since I've been to a game though, the last game I attended was a Monday night game and they beat the Bears 41-3. It was the game when Mike Ditka threw a big wad of gum at the taunting fans as he exited the field.
I wonder if Eddie D will ever get his hands back on the team?
Whoops, I take that back. The last game I went to was another Monday nighter against the NY Giants. Montana and Co. won but I can't remember the exact score. Phil Simms was the Giants QB at the time and Lawrence Taylor was still playing for them too. I was just awestruck by how big that guy was.

Postby PUPTENT » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Dean:

I'll send you a private e-mail re: the 49ers. Wouldn't want the forum getting tied up with our rantings :lol:
PUPTENT - Barry and wife - Class B RV
Novato, California
"Hey, while you're up, mind throwin' another log on the fire?"
PUPTENT
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tdhombre » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:11 pm

Don't feel like you have to go away regarding 49er talk. Both of you are just a reflection of who LOTS of folks feel about the disappointing (which is an understatement) season. I suspect that they will also trade the #1 draft choice away when they get it. After all, they are certainly more than 1 player short of a good team. :cry:

I hope John York has trouble sleeping at night (and Terry Donahue, too.) My sympathies go out to Dennis Ericson but I don't think he should stick around either. Who will be the next Bill Walsh??????? (and when will he get here!)

Hang tough - just remember there is always next year! :twisted:
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Off Topic