Any Tips on Building a Powder Coating Oven?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Arne » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:35 pm

I have not read all the notes.. but my brother does a ton of powder coating of smaller pieces and uses an old regular household stove oven... a few homemade racks and he does doorknobs, car parts, hinges, etc... whatever will fit.

He got an old stove and put it in his garage and it has worked out fine.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby asianflava » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:31 am

With so many people making homemade BBQ pits around here, you should be able to find parts easily. My dad had a smoker that a buddy made. It used propane to start the coals. I think he made the burners out of pipe but I'm not sure.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:30 am

A traditional deck type pizza oven operates about 500-600 degrees. I have been in the pizza business for over 25 years, and have worked on several types of pizza ovens, and they are all very simple (even the new conveyor ovens).

Basically the box is made of steel angle iron or square tubing, with sheet metal inside and out, with some good insulation in between. If you were closer to me, I could give you some insulation, as I have to scrap out 2 electric ovens right now (although it probably wouldn't be enough to build an oven of the size you need).

The gas pizza ovens use a basic gas valve, a safety valve, pilot assembly, and a temperature control. The burner is basically steel pipe, the only odd part is the casting that holds the orfice, and air adjustment.

If I remember right, a Bakers Pride Y-600 oven produces about 180,000 BTU's. Old bakers Prides can be found at reasonable prices from time to time, but usually bring higher prices because they are such great ovens. They have a "stone" floor in them that is about 1" thick, and transfers the heat to the pizza very rapidly, causing it to rise quickly, and giving the pizza a great taste. Other brands such as Blodgett usually sell for little at auctions, as they don't make as good of a pizza (I don't think they have the same "stone" type floor), and could be a cheap source of a burner assembly.

I have also seen large rotary ovens and bakery ovens sell cheaply at auction, and they would probably be large enough for what you want to do. The rotary oven would need some modificatuion, but the the bakery oven would probably work as is. Some are large enough to wheel in several racks of bread or rolls at the same time.

Watch for bakery or grocery store auctions (many have bakerys). I don't know of any companies that sell that type of stuff in your area.

Here is a company, that sells a lot of WalMarts and Sams clubs around the country:
http://www.mjauctions.com/
Here is one that works mostly in the mid-west, but also does auctions in other parts of the country:
http://www.grafeauction.com/

I have seen some of these large ovens sell for scrap prices because they are too much trouble to take apart, move, and store, for the average equipment buyer to mess with them. Unless they have a buyer lined up, they would rather buy smaller equipment that they can turn over quickly. Large bakery ovens usually aren't in large demand.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:12 pm

Steve, The powder is flamable and explosive when airborn and during application which is done away from the oven flames. Once cured it will burn but takes alot of help, like direct flames from a rosebud torch.

Old propane burners will work but I need to know how to control them to constant temperatures. The cureing process is pretty sensitive to temperature fluctuations and hot spots. "Store bought" ovens I have seen have a fire box and fan on one end that provides the heat and circulation, another set of fans changes the air in the oven to control moisture. The design of the oven is pretty basic but temperature control I have no experience with... Help!

Arne, Old stoves work great but I need more space, about 4'x5'x8'. HF even sells a small powder application gun. It is a pretty easy process but do not try it in your wife's kitchen oven. It stinks!

Jeff, A powdercoating oven is basically the same as a food oven, typical convection. I'd love to find one already made. I will check out the auctions but I've been looking around for awhile and still think I can build one from scratch if I can figure out how to regulate the temperature. Reading about pizza has made me hungry!

Thanks for all your help,
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:42 am

I work with a guy who is building a small curing oven for coating his gun parts. He's making it out of plywood (which makes me think of a wooden woodburning stove!!!)

But he says the temp only goes up to 300* for 1 hour, and that he also owns a fire extinguisher!!! Geesh!!! :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby D. Tillery » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:09 pm

I don't know what the combustion temperature of wood is but a wooden oven does not sound too smart. I'm thinking double wall 18GA steel with refinery insulation in between.

And I dont think 300 degrees will get it done. Most of the powders I have worked with require 350 deg to cure. I'd like to know what he's useing because if I could save 50 degrees it would save fuel $$$$. I've known a few guys coating gun parts. It requires a lot of masking and can't be done on anything that will rub or get too hot. But man it looks cool.

Powder coating has many drawbacks but it is a fairly easy process that looks great. Once I get the temperature controls figured out I can knock out this oven and start on my tear.

Thanks for everyone's help, D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:16 pm

D. Tillery wrote:Most of the powders I have worked with require 350 deg to cure.

I guess it's true, everything cooks at 350. :)
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:17 am

:o Don't tell my BBQ smoker that. The briskets might find out! :(
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:45 am

Okay, I found out a little more. My work associate is not power coating, he is using gun kote, which comes in myriad colors, and cures at 300*.

When asked if I could gun kote a teardrop, he laughed and said if you have enough money!!! I guess it goes for something like $26 a pint?

But for durability, I don't think it can be beat. The spec is 500 hours corrosion protection, but in fact it gives you more like 7 year corrosion protection.

I figured I'd let you read about it for yourself, here:
http://www.kgcoatings.com/gunkote.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:42 am

Mike, That looks like great stuff. But $44 a quart is still cheaper than automotive paint. Tough stuff. I will probably try some when I get my oven done. D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:55 am

Just an oven thought. Metal inside and out with fiberglas (6" bats) in between. Probably bulky and expensive, but assume it would be fire proof to oven temps. Probably hard to move around.... and heat. What type of elements would be needed.... a bunch of household oven elements? Interesting project, though.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby MarksMG » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:42 pm

D.

Check out this site. I do some powder coating on the side for now I have an old kitchen oven in the garage, but I think this is the one I am going to build. http://powdercoatoven.4t.com/Index.html
"Can we build it? Yes we can!" Bob The Builder
MarksMG
Teardrop Master

Postby andysbunny » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:13 am

When I was working on my Associate's degree (in furniture design) we watched a film on wood construction. It was old (maybe 40's or 50's) and showed how if you build the box thick enough out of wood, it can be fireproof up to a certain temperature. In particular it showed an example of a metal safe and a similar size wooden safe. both were exposed to a torch (wish I could remember where my textbooks are from 15 years ago) and the wood won out.

If I can't find the info to post here, try the internet. It can be done with wood, but it has to be SUPER thick and NOT plywood ( the glue makes it flammble and could let off fumes.

Dawn
andysbunny
Teardrop Builder

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:46 am

Thanks Mark and Dawn,
I've been away for about a week and could not respond sooner.

I need a bigger oven than I can heat with electricity. I really need to use propane. I'm having trouble finding info on wiring the controls. I plan on thin metal walls with refinery insulation in between. I have heard about using wood but that scares me.

Mark, What are you coating? What type of gun are you using? How about circulation to prevent hot spots?

Dawn, Are you still designing furniture? Making any or having it made?

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:21 pm

D.

Glad to see you made the trip back safely. :thumbsup:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic