cycling and TD's

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

cycling and TD's

Postby tjdale » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:02 pm

Anyone built a TD that can be used to haul bikes as well as sleep in? I am interested in a design that will carry one or two bikes (recumbents). Thanks for your time. TD
tjdale
Teardrop Builder

Re: cycling and TD's

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:47 pm

tjdale wrote:Anyone built a TD that can be used to haul bikes as well as sleep in? I am interested in a design that will carry one or two bikes (recumbents). Thanks for your time. TD

Hi TJ, welcome to T&TTT. Check out the hall of fame. I believe Dan Jones built his cargo pod for that very reason.

Also look at this picture... It shows how I could design a squared teardrop to hold 2 bikes!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:06 pm

I didn't build a bike hauler..per-say..I added a reciever to the frame so that I can use a hitch type bike rack. Right now the reciever fly's Olde Glory, but this summer, I'll add that rack! ;)
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby DANL » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:54 pm

Hi there,

Dan here. Yes, I did build my trailer to haul recumbents. You can follow the link in my signature panel to visit my site.

My intent was to have a trailer that would do three main things and a couple of extra things when needed:

1. Hauling recumbents
2. Open air galley
3. Occasional solo camping

The extras are:

4. Hauling building materials
5. Taking my leaves to the recycling center

So far it has worked out fine. I did have visions of having the pod removable for greater use of the trailer for utility purposes but have since decided that it is really too much hassle to take it off and put it back on just to take the yard tractor for a tune up or to haul one of my small boats. In the Spring I will simply buy a Harbor Freight trailer for those rare hauling jobs.

The trailer is usable and has been on several trips. It is not "finished" and will probably be undergoing changes for quite a while. Wood is easy to work with and the finish is latex paint so I don't really mind chopping away at it and slapping on some more paint. I did just add a 750/1500 watt heater that will operate in fanless mode for a good night's sleep. One of the next projects will be insulating the sidewalls. I have decided that I do want to do some winter camping after all.

BTW and back to the main question... we have two EasyRacer EZ-1 Lite recumbents and they fit just fine. Anything larger would require a longer main cabin. We also throw lots of gear in the trailer along with the bikes. It's comforting to know that we can leave the car and trailer parked while we visit an attraction or a restaurant and not have to worry about our bikes.

If you plan to load the bikes through the side door, you will need to make it wide enough for the bikes to negotiate the bend. Once you have one bike in place, the interior space will be half as wide while you jockey the second one into place.

We have used bike tites mounted to a board this past year but next year the bike tites will be mounted on drop down panels at the front of the cabin.

My first suggestion would be to figure out how much folding or knock-down of your bike you are willing to deal with. I was only willing to remove the front wheels to secure the bikes in the bike tites. The mesh seat and rear carrier stay in place. Unless you fold your seat down or forward, you may need an interior height of 4'-8" or slightly more.

Measure, measure, measure. Next, build a cheap mock-up to the dimensions of the INTERIOR of the cabin space out of cheap 1x2 firring strips and cardboard. If you can fit the bikes in without destroying the mockup, you may be on the right track.

Remember that cabinets and shelves added after the fact may need to fold up to accommodate the bike. Also consider that you may need to get into the cabin along with the bikes to get at that very important item that you forgot to remove before you put both of the bikes in. And plan for something to secure the rear wheel in place so the bikes won't move from side to side and bash holes in your beautiful birch ply paneling. We use Velcro strips screwed to the floor.

Now for the kicker. Where are you going to put your mattress? Whenever we take both of the bikes and cargo inside the trailer, we sleep in our tent. We both still really prefer the tent with comfortable cots and pads--call us strange. When I solo trip there is room for both my single width bed and wonderful memory foam mattress along with one recumbent while traveling. At night the bike comes out and is chained to the tongue. This leave me lots of room to move around in the trailer.

So anyway, its doable. Just plan it all out and test before you spend lots of time and money.

Have fun and a Great New Teardrop Year!

Dan Jones :P
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Montana Kev » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:44 pm

I have seen several tears that can haul bikes and gear then convert for sleeping. Keep looking around on the web. Here is one concept I located at the below link that may give you some ideas.
http://www.eastcoast-teardrop.com/449281.html

K
Montana Kev
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:45 am

I have 2 recumbents. My van can accept both. I'll put one pic I have of my rans vivo in my album (arnereil, I think).. the Gold Rush Replica folder fits the same way (but very tight). I There is a pad on the home made mount that accomodates a 26" or 20" rear wheel....

The home made mount attaches to the floor with tee nuts... and the floor is actually covered with a sheet of removable 1/4" ply with rug glued on it... so all is removable....

The thing on the left/forward is a homemade seat for the dog, under which I can slide one of those plastic storage containers with the split top... carries jumper cables, air compressor, etd...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Off Topic