Train wreck in the south

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Train wreck in the south

Postby Frank » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:00 am

Hello All,
In case you haven't heard there was two trains going different ways on the same track. They met in a little town near here Graniteville about 2:30 Wed morning. One of the trains was hauling liquid clorine, we don't know how many are dead, they are really keeping that part quite, don't really know why. There are rumers that they have found people still in their homes in bed, but not breathing. We had 4 guys come thru there before all the road blocks and two are in the hospital, two were released and went home. Yesterday the hasmat people had not even stopped the leakage of the tanker yet. They have a two mile raditus around the town off limits, will let you know more as we do.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:00 am

Frank,
that is sad news. We had the same thing happen here in San Antonio a few months ago. The clorine gas killed 3. we have had 8 derailments in the last six months.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Re: Train wreck in the south

Postby Joseph » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:26 pm

Frank wrote:In case you haven't heard there was two trains going different ways on the same track.

Actually, one was parked (and thankfully empty), but the end result is the same.

One of the trains was hauling liquid clorine, we don't know how many are dead, they are really keeping that part quite, don't really know why.

Probably because at the time they just didn't know. I just read 8 dead & about 240 injured.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Ross Wade » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:13 pm

Frank,

Just glad you and Linda are alright.

Ross and Carla
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Frank » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:41 pm

Yes, we are, I do not go that way to work, however some of the guys do and it was very foggy that day so they did not notice the clorine cloud and drove through it not knowing about the wreck or the gas, 2 of which is still in the hospital. They drove across a crossing just about 100 yards from the wreck but did not see it due to the fog and clorine cloud. Thankfully the cloud did not move much and stayed close to the site, however it happened inside a small town and the parked train was at a small mill that was working.
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:52 pm

Yes, chlorine gas is bad because when mixed with water (which is also in your lungs) becomes hydorchloric acid. Acid fog is a bad thing to deal with! Hope all that survived near there are alright.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:05 pm

Frank wrote:clorine cloud

So Frank,

What you are telling me, is if I retire to your neck of the woods, I have to watch out for clorine clouds? :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:04 pm

You know how it is, we're a little slower down here, thought it was a goood thing. Trying to clean the air with clorine. :oops: :?
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:09 pm

Frank wrote:You know how it is, we're a little slower down here, thought it was a goood thing. Trying to clean the air with clorine. :oops: :?

Hmmmm at least we won't have to worry about bacteria in the air!!! :rofl:

BTW, Steve is thinking the twins might be done in time for Mystic. Wanna come up to CT?

With a little bit of luck we can make it to SC too. You guys are 1st on the list of priorities. We'll keep you posted... But first, please get rid of that chlorine... I hate the smell of that stuff...!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:21 pm

Linda said by the time you got down here the air would be clear! Not sure what she ment by that, they just got a temp. patch on the tanker today, thinking will be, say Wed before moving it. She must not be expecting you too soon. 8)
We'll look into Mystic, can't say right now. But don't think the "sister" will be ready by then. Having knee injections for the next 4 weeks, 1st one was last Fri. So still not making much progress on the garage(shop) ceiling and walls. They have to be completed before tear building.
Still hoping though.

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:31 pm

Frank wrote: She must not be expecting you too soon. 8)
Frank

Aw, you make me feel so bad... not expecting me too soon eh? Hey, I'd hop in the Baja Benroy and pay you guys a visit, but you'd have to give me one of your tow vehicles... we don't have anything that will tow it!!!

So Frank, what do I do? Is there a way to modify the Baja Benroy so that I can tow it with the Passat, or do I have to sell it, and build a new one from scratch?

Mike..
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic