Propane Heat Exchanger Design/PC Oven

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Propane Heat Exchanger Design/PC Oven

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:37 am

Thanks for everyones advice on the powder coating oven. The plans are going well. I have the info I need on controls. Just a few more wrinkles to iron out.

Does anyone have a design to build a forced flame heat exchanger? I've Googled and gotten some good ideas but nothing with a good balance of efficiency and simplicity. Any advice/ideas would help.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

I am trying

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:20 pm

Dear D.,
I have been trying to design an instant demand hot water system which will both provide radiant infloor heating and hot water. If it could be combined with a heat exchanger it would be great and save a lot of weight. Will you post your info Please.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:12 pm

I found a lot of info on this Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=heat%2Bexchangers%2Bair%2Bpropane%2Boven&hl=en&lr=&rls=RNWF,RNWF:2004-32,RNWF:en&start=0&sa=N

There is also an HVAC forum you can try: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/index.php

I noticed considerable talk about heating water. You can basically blow flame through tubing snaked through a box. Then move air or water across the tubing. In one side of the box, out the other. There are plenty for sale (big$$$) but they are simple enough to make. You would need to take much more care building one to use in a home than a walk-in oven. Especially heating water. Fire, water, steam BOOM! Somewhere in the Google is a Homesteader site with furnaces to do what you are wanting.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:28 am

PC Oven?

I thought my PC came fully cooked and ready-to-eat. Is this not true? What temperature do you recommend and for how long? Is basting required and, if so, what with? Should I take the tinfoil out of my hat and put it around the PC to stop it drying out too much? Is the silica gel sachet a condiment or should that get cooked too?
Andrew, having a crisis :NC
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:34 am

Here ya go Andrew...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:21 am

We did put a troublemaking monitor in my friends walk-in oven once. It melted into a pretty cool looking pile of goo. It was kinda satisfying. But not as satisfying as when we took a couple of them out to the gun range! Not a very PC way to treat a PC. :lol: :twisted:

Guy, Have you thought about a patent search to get some ideas of what's out there. I have not had time to search the PTO files yet but I intend to.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Re: Propane Heat Exchanger Design/PC Oven

Postby JunkMan » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:54 am

D. Tillery wrote:Does anyone have a design to build a forced flame heat exchanger? I've Googled and gotten some good ideas but nothing with a good balance of efficiency and simplicity. Any advice/ideas would help.
D. Tillery

Not sure exactly what you are refering to, but my pizza ovens have a burner blower on them. I'll try to find a drawing or picture.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:33 pm

Jeff,
By simple I mean able to make myself. By efficient I mean that I want it to transfer plenty of heat and not let too much be wasted out the exhaust. I also do not want any of the combustion byproducts, mainly moisture, to get into the oven.

I would appreciate any drawings you have.

Thanks, D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby JunkMan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:43 pm

I'm still looking for those drawings, will try to find them this afternoon.

Too bad you aren't closer to Virginia, checkout this ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=95073&item=3870809282&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:32 pm

Yep, That's what I'm looking for. I added it to my watch list. I'm sure Furnacebrokers or some other reseller yeahoo will snatch it up. I'll get this heat exchanger made or hopefully another deal will turn up soon.
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Return to Off Topic