Anybody on here play the violin?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Anybody on here play the violin?

Postby beverlyt » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:00 pm

My newest project.
Violin...such as in "fiddle" or "bluegrass".
I'm just learning... stay away from my house right now. It sounds like a pen of screeching pigs in here!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:49 pm

Newp,
That's great, just stick with it... in no time, you'll be able to rip off a good rendition of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown!"
I've been a drummer most of my life, but all other instruments... I play by ear and left handed dumb. :lol:

Postby Arne » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:23 pm

Bev, I want to be at the gatherings you go to..... great evening entertainment...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:24 am

I totally understand I studied violin for one summer in high school.
It was so bad that when we played America the buetiful for our parents they never asked us to take a second class. :NC
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:34 pm

My wife took up the bagpipes a few years back. I wish she had stuck with it long enough to become good. Maybe she will pick it up again sometime. I buy earplugs by the gross.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:23 pm

here try these sites for the future

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bluegras ... &hl=en&lr=
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:20 pm

D. Tillery wrote:My wife took up the bagpipes a few years back. I wish she had stuck with it long enough to become good. Maybe she will pick it up again sometime. I buy earplugs by the gross.

D. Tillery

D,
I did a glass job about 4-5 months back in a house up in the mountains, no one home and nobody around for miles around this place.
In the room that I replaced a picture window in, there were a set of bag pipes just setting there.
Given the set circumstances, I just couldn't resist giving them a try. :twisted:
Well... To my amazement about the best I could get them things to do... sounded like a dying moose! :lol:

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:24 pm

Dean, The pipes are not as easy as one might think. Kind of like a flute/accordian. But when played well they are pretty cool. Hard to play quietly.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:51 pm

Well,
It's obvious that I don't know how to play them.
I just figured that you had to fill up the main air bag and go for it.
Problem was I didn't know where the release valve was or something, because when I squeeaed the bag it just made a grunting sound like something was just getting ready to die.
That was the only time I've ever played with a customer's toy without asking. (I don't make a habit of that, by no means)
It was just like... How often do you get a chance to play bag pipes?
(It was a temptation I just couldn't overcome)
Just be sure to hide your bag pipes if you ever have me do any glass work for you.

Postby robfisher » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:00 pm

I can really relate to the bagpipe fascination. I would have tried them too. In fact, what I did was saw a cheep set of pipes on ebay and bid on them. Low and behold, they are about impossible to play. Your description sounds just like my success or lack thereof.

I have them in storage if anyone else feels the need.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sftiggee » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:01 pm

I played violin from 5th grade through a bit of college. But that was classical violin, not "fiddle". i always wanted to try the fiddlin and bluegrass type stuff, irish jigs,k etc. never got aroudn to it. still ahve my violins though.
Jolene, Luke, Jackson, Lilianne, and Bandit
2006 Camp-Inn Raindrop Ultra
2007 Dodge Magnum RT
sftiggee
Platinum Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:53 am

Rob, Thanks a lot! My wife was enjoying this thread with me and I was enjoying it too but I think this one's gonna cost me. How much do you want for that set of pipes? :cry:

Dean, At lease he did not come home and find you in the hot tub sucking down his beer with a couple of friends.....Or did he?

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Re: Anybody on here play the violin?

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:30 am

beverlyt wrote:My newest project.
Violin...such as in "fiddle" or "bluegrass".
I'm just learning... stay away from my house right now. It sounds like a pen of screeching pigs in here!

Bev

Guilty here too. I bought one off of ebay and and am sloooowly tryng to figure out how to make it sound like something other than a dieing cat. Always wanted to try it and for the price I paid I figured it was worth a shot. I'm pretty sure I'll never be really good but what the hay. Definitely a great way to get things moving in a campground at nite.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:58 am

D. Tillery wrote:Dean, At lease he did not come home and find you in the hot tub sucking down his beer with a couple of friends.....Or did he?

D. Tillery

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope,
That was the only time I gave into temptation and touch something without asking.
I have taken hot tubs at customers homes upon finishing a job, but only by invitation. (Only non alcohic beverages for me)

music

Postby Boodro » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi Bev, keep playing what ya like & know. Thats how I learned guitar 25 years ago. I hope to get together with ya & do some pickin & grinnin! :beer: Of course a little liquid refreshment makes things sound good too! :tipsy:
I met Mike & Chelly(spelling?) today. They stopped by on their way down the road to see my Tear I'm building.They are very gracious & freindly! See ya soon!
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic