Mike what is the deal with the time.

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Mike what is the deal with the time.

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:33 pm

I thought GMT was Mountain but even Dean who lives in my time zone say's 1:20 am and he understandes computers better then I. it is 8:30 pm .

I had to reset mine -3 now I will have to go -6 is this out of england?
Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:47 pm

GMT is Greenwich Mean time, Zero time, or Zulu time. It is the designated place where one day ends and the next begins. 0deg 0min 0sec Longitude.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Mike what is the deal with the time.

Postby Larry Messaros » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:53 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:I thought GMT was Mountain but even Dean who lives in my time zone say's 1:20 am and he understandes computers better then I. it is 8:30 pm .

I had to reset mine -3 now I will have to go -6 is this out of england?
Ron D.

Ron,

For you and Dean you should have it set for GMT - 8 hours. That should correct the time difference. :applause:
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:03 am

asianflava wrote:GMT is Greenwich Mean time, Zero time, or Zulu time. It is the designated place where one day ends and the next begins. 0deg 0min 0sec Longitude.

Here is today's history lesson.

Greenwich Mean Time was 'created' when the advent of railways in Britain highlighted that different cities were using different times and matching the train timetables to a variable local time was proving impossible. So a standardised time for Britain was created and the Royal Observatory at Greenwich defined it. The full story is here.

You might find the GMT web site useful - I find it a reasonably accurate way of setting my PC clock.

A separate issue is the Prime (or Greenwich) Meridian which defines where east and west start. This was the subject of much discussion that was eventually settled between the European countries when Britian indicated that it would consider recognising the metric system if everyone agreed to use Greenwich as the prime meridian*. As Britain was the dominant world power at the time, a lot of the world was using British nautical charts which put 0 deg at Greenwich, so it was the easiest way to go.

And here's a Dave from Penn State Uni doing the right thing on a visit to Greenwich by standing astride the Prime Meridian, with one foot in the western hemisphere and the other in the east:

(Brnnnnnng!) That's the end of class for today.

Andrew

* I believe the alternative was that the British delegation to the conference were going to gather up all their toys and not let the other children play with them, so everyone quickly agreed.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:41 am

Thanks thanks I really really really love learning new stuff, :lol: , I love it almost as much as sex :oops: well almost as much.

thanks for the picture. :thumbsup:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Ron D. ;)
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:52 am

Hey It worked :o at -8 I am right on time!! :lol:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Off Topic