30 ft. Tear

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

30 ft. Tear

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:06 pm

I know where there's a 1954? 30' (maybe shorter) Traveleze trailer. It's been sitting under a cover for at least 20 years that I know of. It's in fairly good condition, but would need lots of superficial work.

It's a classic teardrop shape, and would make a good travel trailer once it is roadworthy. (I've got a 3/4 ton Suburban, so towing it wouldn't be a problem.)

Does anyone have the slightest clue what something like that would be worth? My wife say 'free' would be too much...
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby Gage » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:56 pm

30 ft Tear?????????? you have to be kidding. Or are you like so many on ebay and else where. ' We want everybody to look, so we'll call it a tear.' :? Tear shape doesn't count. "What's it worth?" Maybe a couple hundred if unrestored. Then who knows after you restore it. The best place to find out that information is to go to the Vintage Vacations group in MSN ( http://groups.msn.com/VintageVacationsantiquetraveltrailertalk ) They talk larger trailers over there and some in that group will know.

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby gardenwood » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:42 am

We knew we were addicted to teardropping when we saw a semi car hauler (low rider) and immediately planned 3 options:

1. The biggest teardrop shaped trailer ever (until we read this thread)
2. A tear on the trailer back with dog pen on the front. Chain link sides and gate, Awning to shade pets who ride in the tow vehicle but won't fit inside the tear at night.
3. A tear on the trailer front with a nice big area for hauling "toys" on the back.

Then there was the SUV body (body only, no hood) that looked like a TTT with lots of windows and even a hatch in the back... just needed a little body work.

;)

Roger and Lois
gardenwood
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:04 am

How bout a tear like this:
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Gage » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:39 am

asianflava wrote:How bout a tear like this:

That's no tear. That's one of those new Crank-up, stretched-out Race Car haulers :lol:

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:18 am

Oops I forgot the quote, "3. A tear on the trailer front with a nice big area for hauling "toys" on the back. "
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:08 am

Karl,
Sounds like maybe a large "canned ham" trailer, like we have?

Anyway, ours is a 15', 1950's something and has seen it's better days.
The men still tow it up to deer country ever year.
In the shape it's in, I still think we could get about $1000 here in Michigan for it. Older canned hams are pretty popular around this area and getting harder and harder to find.
I'm beginning to think a future build isn't in our future (at least in the "near" future:( and we need to work on getting this trailer "roadworthy" for future trips to Tennessee. And from what I hear...certain campgrounds would frown on the poor ole guy in the shape he's in right now.

Hope that helps!
Bev

beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:53 am

Gage wrote:30 ft Tear?????????? you have to be kidding. Or are you like so many on ebay and else where. ' We want everybody to look, so we'll call it a tear.'

Your tolerance is exceeded only by your charm.

I am refering to a 30' Traveleze travel trailer. Yes, I realize it is not a teardrop. I was attempting to be humorous.

The trailer looks like this one at vintage vacations, only about 30' long

I posted on the Off Topic thread, but perhaps I should have posted in another discussion board.

Postby beverlyt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:09 pm

Karl,
That's a pretty cool trailer pictured. Is the one you're thinking about in about the same condition?

Bev

P.S. And I got your joke.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Bev:

There are not many photos of the condition of the above trailer, so I can't compare them. The 30 footer (it might only be 24 feet; I'm guessing) has been parked under an awning, on blocks, wheels off, for at least 20 years. It's located in a cabin area in the mountains near my home. It's been plumbed and such to be a summer cabin, apparently to never be towed again. The exterior is a bit rough, the tail end has a crinkle where it was backed into something. The interior is in pretty good shape, from what I can see peeking through the windows. It has a large full-width bedroom in the rear, a small but complete bathroom, kitchen area, and a full-width living area in front with sofa and dining. It would need a few windows replaced, all new running lights, and general repairs throughout. Because it's a vintage trailer, I would say it's worth the work, but I wouldn't want to pay much for it.

I know who owns the lot, and left a voice mail once, and didn't hear back. Anyway, it would be an awesome trailer if fixed up.

As I mentioned in my first post, it would be a challenge convincing my wife that we should give it a new home. If I could get it for little or nothing, it might be an easier sale. I know it has sat unused for 20 years, so maybe the owner would part with it cheap.

Postby Gage » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Karl Stevens wrote:
Gage wrote:30 ft Tear?????????? you have to be kidding. Or are you like so many on ebay and else where. ' We want everybody to look, so we'll call it a tear.'

Your tolerance is exceeded only by your charm.
I am refering to a 30' Traveleze travel trailer. Yes, I realize it is not a teardrop. I was attempting to be humorous.
The trailer looks like this one at vintage vacations, only about 30' long
I posted on the Off Topic thread, but perhaps I should have posted in another discussion board.

I keep forgetting, that some can only give it out and can't take it. I was having a little fun and at the same time giving you a good direction for information. Next time, I'll just keep my mouth shut.

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Lizbeth » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:23 pm

Hi Karl, I'm new here but I'll jump right in. I've been doing vintage trailers for a few years.

The vintage vacations board mentioned is a great forum.

The value of the trailer depends greatly on several things. First off do you love it? How much do you want to pay?

Then it gets down to the serious stuff. How much time and money will it take to get it on the road? Does it have water damage on the inside? How much? How bad? Frame? Floor? Tires? Axle? Wiring? Plumbing? Appliances? It's just a TD on steriods, both in size and money.

Once you have the above questions answered you can get an idea of value. It may be worth a couple of hundred bucks or a couple thousand depending on condition and your desire to have it.

Lizbeth
Lizbeth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beverlyt » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:45 pm

Karl:
As I mentioned in my first post, it would be a challenge convincing my wife that we should give it a new home

Hmmm...I can sorta relate. I'm having a very hard time convincing Bob that we need a THIRD trailer.... (Now I ask you? Why wouldn't one need at least three trailers??? What's the big deal???? :O

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:59 pm

Let's see... it would be my third trailer as well. I don't see anything wrong with having the back property lined with trailers. It eliminates the need for a fence.

Anyway, I didn't really expect anyone to give me an estimate. I just thought there might be someone who had a general idea of its value.
Last edited by Big Guy with a Little Guy on Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lizbeth » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:00 pm

Bev, if I bring that little trailer home I just ran across that will be #4 for us. We officially run out of room two trailers ago. :thinking:

We need to move.
Lizbeth
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Off Topic