Compressor question...

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Compressor question...

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:59 pm

Ok this is a tool question for all you long time builders, mechanics, etc.
I have a decent sized compressor from Sears. It is pretty darn noisy, especially echoing in my garage.
I was wondering if it would be safe to put it in some sort of insulated, sound proof box outside.
I do not want to disturb the neighbors but I do not want the thing to overheat either.
Is it safe? Would it work well that was? It is an electric compressor, not gas.

I was also wodering about the best way to get the air in to the garage. Should I use some kind of valve system? How about filters and stuff that I have heard people mention.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby anonymous2 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Hi Shrug,

I work as a assistant facilities maintenance manager. We have several of our compressors in small buildings outside. Our compressors run constantly,and generate enough heat to keep from freezing. They are in a well insulated out buildings{sound mostly} ,however we have a grill vent that operates when the compressor is running,by way of louvers driven by electric motors. I realize your compressor is smaller,but still needs ventilation. I suggest 2 grills placed in the outside walls,one near the bottom,and one near the top. This will allow a natural chimney effect of letting the hot air out the top,and pulling cooler air in the bottom. Compressors do get water condensating inside the tank,and will freeze . You can put a heat lamp,or small electric heater near the tank,with a timer to come on a few times a day to keep from freezing. Make sure the lamp/heater is mounted safely as not to contact any flammable materials. If you plan to put compressor in a soundproof box inside a building you may want to rig a vent fan when compressor is running,and you will still need a small grill to allow air to circulate. I am guessing your compressor is 5HP or smaller,so the grill size should be roughly 8" X 10" or 10" X 10" for both inside,and out. A simple 100cfm bathroom vent fan would be enough for an inside application to vent the compressor. Flat grill can be had at any Home depot,Lowes,etc for around 8-10 dollars. Put screen mesh on the inside to keep out bugs,and bees if using an outside building.Personally,foam type ear plugs are cheap,and you can buy them in bulk.

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby JunkMan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:53 pm

As for bringing the air into the garage, I know several guys that used 1/2 copper water line. Could also use 1/2 galvanized pipe, but the copper would be easier. I would put a water seperator inline where it comes into the garage so you can check it and drain it easily. If you are in an area where it might freeze, you might also put grain valves at any low spot, so you can drain the condensation. Might use a short rubber line between the compressor and the start of the copper to cushion it from the vibrations.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:42 pm

pateardropper & Shrug53 have got it right, and you really don't need it insulated unless you are concerned with noise. Ventilation is a neccesity tho. If it gets too hot you will ruin the motor and compressor head. You can also use PVC water line for your inside lines, believe it or not the burst strength on it is rather high, I know quite a few people that use it and never had any problems.
I know mine is going outside as soon as the weather breaks around here, as much for space as for noise. Mine is rather large as I do a lot of body and mechanical work so I have a lot of air tools.
One thing I am going to do is mount the high pressure guage from the tank inside so I can keep an eye on the tank pressure from inside the garage.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:45 pm

...compressor is in another building next to shop(still noisy), I have air run all over shop so that air is handy with nothing but a coiled pigtail everywhere I might(or might not) need it. It is plumbed with sch 40 PVC water pipe...been that way for over 10yrs with no problems
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:07 am

I worked at a place that did mil-spec painting. The shop was setup with PVC for the air lines. We also had 3 drops with petcocks on them for drains. One right after the compressor, one before the paint booth and one inside the booth. We drained them and the compressor every day, there must have been at least a quart or 2 by the end of the day. Of course with 80%-90% humidity in FL, that's not too far fetched.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:43 am

I bought one of those harbor freight 4 h.p. compressors. The new, noisy type. When I'm in the garage, I turn it off when not using it.... I wish I had the room for the better belt driven type... of course, I also wanted something cheaper....

But, it startles me when it starts up.... I tried making an insulating cover for it with little improvement.... now I just turn it on when I need it...... I like the CFM, but really dislike the noise...

Can't really move it outside, too much humidity in the summer.....

Keep thinking of getting a pancake compressor, but don't think it would supply enough air........
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Doug » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:42 am

Shrug, I bet I have the same one from Sears. It's a 33 gallon upright and, MAN is it loud. I understand your concern about your neighbors but if they are inside, I bet the can't hear it if your garage doors are shut.

If you are on good terms with them, I would just turn on the compressor, close the garage door and ask them to go inside their home and see if 1) they can hear it or 2) if it would bother them at night.

If it doesn't use the foam plugs for yourself and you are done. If it does bother them, give them the foam plugs.

:lol:
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Off Topic