New Computer

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:13 pm

if you just make a kodak photo cd with your burner, most newer DVD players will play it.

and as for mini-macs..i hate spending money, so I just load old PC's with linux and play with them..i think linux will rule the world one day.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:34 am

So which distro are you using? and do you run win4lin or something similar?

Mike...

Jiminsav wrote:if you just make a kodak photo cd with your burner, most newer DVD players will play it.

and as for mini-macs..i hate spending money, so I just load old PC's with linux and play with them..i think linux will rule the world one day.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:45 pm

I know you didn't ask me, Mike, but I use SuSE Linux 9.2 Professional on all four of my home computers. I am updating my mom's machine and right now I have loaded the latest version of Mepis Linux on it.

I use Knoppix when I need to repair systems - either Windows or Linux.

Mike B.
Hayden Lake, ID
http://teardrop.blogicalthoughts.com/
http://www.nilug.org/ - Our local Linux User Group
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:57 pm

Mike B wrote:I know you didn't ask me, Mike, but I use SuSE Linux 9.2 Professional on all four of my home computers. I am updating my mom's machine and right now I have loaded the latest version of Mepis Linux on it.

Oh good, a real Linux user. I heard there was a mass exodus from Suse when Novell bought it. But you're still hanging in there eh? A couple quick questions for you...

Do you use a windows emulator?

What do you use in place of the following?
PaintShopPro
WSFTP
HotMetalPro
IronCAD

I currently have Xandros loaded on one of my laptops to play with it... but it doesn't seem to support my wifi card, or my GPRS card. :cry:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:13 pm

Mike, I've been playing with Mandrake linux for awhile..I've tried to help out a guy running novell Linux, and i've been know to spend 39 bucks on a redhat distro a few years ago..but i've noticed that mandrake is getting too easy for itself and might try a slackware version just so i can pull my hair out somemore.. :roll:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rjhager » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:40 pm

What do you use in place of the following?
PaintShopPro
WSFTP
HotMetalPro
IronCAD

There's *tons* of software available for Linux. Try GIMP (www.gimp.org) for photo work -- pretty much a PhotoShop workalike, and gFTP (for an FTP client), and for something like HotMetalPro you can try NVu (www.nvu.com), and for CAD work try QCAD (www.ribbonsoft.com) that has DXF as its native format). Try it! You'll like it! 8)
Working on a KuffelCreek Comet.
rjhager
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Off Topic