New Computer

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby BufordT » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:40 am

subtearanean wrote:Apple monitors are very nice, welll built. But you can get near the same quality by going with another vendor ie Sony, Samsung, Viewsonic, etc.

Try to find a Macworld issue that has comparisons / ratings of 3rd party displays.

I'm a little interested in the "half of VGA monitors don't work on a mini". Could we get further rundown on this?

Mike would have to ask his wife about it. I didn't know about the monitor issue when I bought it. I just took them at there word that it would work with the vga monitor I had.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:46 am

Michelle doesn't have any monitor specific information, but she says it's an ongoing problem with Apple and the MiniMac. She seems to think that if you have a newer monitor there's a better chance it'll work with the MiniMac. Newer, meaning less than 2 years old. But really the only way to know is to try it.

I did a quick search and came up with this...
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21629

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:02 am

Well that answers the questions about the monitors. Would like to get this one one day but it's 3000.00 Could build several tears for that price.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:06 am

BufordT wrote:Would like to get this one one day but it's 3000.00 Image

But how would you ever get that monitor into your tear? And more importantly, where would YOU sit with that huge monitor in your tear?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:03 am

PHOTOS:..... Was talking to someone yesterday, they said new DVD players can show jpg pics on TV from a homemade CD....

How long has this tech been available?... I have a DVD player about 2 years old... showing them on tv would be nice.. don't like boring friends with 4x6's when I can bore them with large screen images......
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:17 am

arnereil wrote:PHOTOS:..... Was talking to someone yesterday, they said new DVD players can show jpg pics on TV from a homemade CD....

How long has this tech been available?... I have a DVD player about 2 years old... showing them on tv would be nice.. don't like boring friends with 4x6's when I can bore them with large screen images......

Welllll, years actually, but don't tell anyone. lol
As long as you have a CD burner and the proper program it is simple. But not all DVD players will play the CD's and not all CD burners will burn CD's that will play on DVD players. You gotta experiment a little to see what works.
There are several ways it can be done, so if one doesn't work just try something else.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:33 am

Well, my I backup my jpg files onto a cd... so I'll stick it in and hope I don't hear a lot of scratching noises....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:03 pm

arnereil wrote:Well, my I backup my jpg files onto a cd... so I'll stick it in and hope I don't hear a lot of scratching noises....

Nope, won't work. You need to make a VCD for them to work in your DVD player. If you have Roxio Easy CD or Nero (not my favorite) you can make them from there. It's really pretty simple, most any burning program can do it now.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:26 pm

Got roxio v.5... says it does photo albums, videos, etc.. will investigate.... thank you for the information....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:18 pm

BufordT wrote:Well that answers the questions about the monitors. Would like to get this one one day but it's 3000.00 Could build several tears for that price.

Just got a new monitor at work... It's a 23" flat panel... wow, photos never looked so good. Makes my CRT at home look pretty shabby. Kinda like the "Diderot Effect" all over again!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:35 pm

Mike, poor you... I bought a Dell that came with a 15" flat panel, so stored my 17" crt.... I look at a 17 or 19, but all the good prices have the magic 'rebate' word included.. I'm waiting for a good price without the potential of a disappearing rebate......
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby shil » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:24 am

My DVD player shows JPGs and plays MP3s from CDs or straight from my computer. It's got a built in Ethernet port, I can bore my pals for HOURS without loading any disks at all.

Very cool.
shil
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:06 am

So much for my roxio v.5.... it is a stripped version....

Is there a downloadable piece of software to put the pics on a cd from my computer to use it in my dvd player... free or otherwise...?

Or maybe compusa has something... My roxio has the headings, but they stay grayed-out when I try to click on them....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Norm » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Well Buford, how is the new MiniMac working out? I'm really considering getting one. Did you get the wireless card for it?
Inquiring mind(s) wants to know... :roll:

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby BufordT » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:51 am

Norm wrote:Well Buford, how is the new MiniMac working out? I'm really considering getting one. Did you get the wireless card for it?
Inquiring mind(s) wants to know... :roll:

Norm

Norm,

This thing is working out great. I didn't get the wireless card as I didn't think I'd use it. I did get the upgraded version with the bigger hard drive and the faster cpu. With a little more learning of the software I'll enjoy it a lot better.
For anyone wishing to change from windows I'd highly recommend it.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic