Luxeon Star LED

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Luxeon Star LED

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:49 pm

I just bought a Luxeon Star 3 watt LED flashlight for $7.00 on ebay.

More are for sale http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5172959002&ssPageName=ADME:B:RECO:US:2

These are incredible bright. A great safety light and super bright camping light.

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:51 pm

I've been known to say someone was about as bright as a two watt bulb. I guess if they are as bright as a three watt bulb, they must be pretty bright, eh?

$7.00 ain't bad, but the $10 shipping seems like a gouge.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Tactical Light

Postby Dee Bee » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:29 am

Yeah the shipping was a bit much. but it is still under the retail prices I could find. 3 watts doesn't sound like much, but the real issue is the lumens they produce. These are called tactical lights because in military and police applications they are sometimes used to "Blind" a perpetrator through disorientation due to the brightness of the light.

A small bright light might be useful when camping, I would never camp with a gun in a public area, but I have been in situations where tacticle light might have helped...

Well I can let you know when I get the product if it was all hype or if it was worth it.

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby anonymous2 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:07 pm

Hello all,

I just looked at one of those lights last weekend. They sell for $29.95 at Lowe's. They had a sample on display,and they are extremely bright. I have a 4 LED 3 cell Maglite,and can switch between 2 and 4 LED's. My wife uses it for her security job,so she can blind them and bust them over the head with the solid aluminum case{if needed}. Now you know why they are called tactical lights. Led's can burn three times longer,and consume 1/2 the energy.I have a LED headlight that I use for camping ,and have it now for 3 years ,and still on original batteries. They cost more,but the bulb and battery savings more then make up for the cost of the light.

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

LED Flashlight

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:21 am

Well my LED Flashlight flinally arrived. Shipping was slow from Hong Kong but it did arrive OK.

Ever since I was a kid I have loved flashlights. I'll let those in the "Counsleing" forum figure out what that means.... Anyway, it sure is a fun toy. The Luxeon Star bulbis incredible. This tiny flashlight is super bright. The info said, warning this is not a toy. No kidding! It would certainly do some damage to the eyes if you looked into the direct beam. I guess that is my they call it a tactical light.

I took a walk with it two nights ago along a road. By just shinning the beam straight down at the ground, it shone a wonderful halo of bright light all around me feet and gave me great visibility to cars along the highway.

If I am ever hasseled by unwanted "guests" or creatures at night I think this Luzeon Star will be useful and at least give me a few more options of how I can choose to respond in a situation.

I am very pleased with this...

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:33 pm

I think flashlights are a "guy thing". I know too many guys who have "this thing" for flashlights. They have to buy the brightest, coolest, smallest, biggest ones for their collection.

I have to carry a flashlight on my smock at work. We typically use the 2 AA minimaglight. I found one that was printed with red and blue stars and stripes on a silver body. Mainly so that when see a bunch of flashlights, I which is mine (or if somebody else stole it). I get more comments and compliments on that flashlight than I would have ever thought.

I went to Costco with my cousins, I had to use the bathroom so we were seperated. When I found them I said, "hey did you see that 10million candle power flashlight?" They said, " yeah, I was looking for you, I'm thinking about getting it."
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mike B » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:01 pm

Surplus Computers always has good deals. Here is an 8 LED flashlight which is about the same as the one you got. One dollar more than yours, but free shipping.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CES10613.html

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Geron » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:09 pm

Mike B wrote: Here is an 8 LED flashlight which is about the same as the one you got.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CES10613.html

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/

I just ordered that dude -- couldn't resist! I have a box full of flashlights. Yes, I'm a victim of the obsession as well. :lol:

BTW Dee Bee - Another UM Pastor here -

TD Pics at http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php? ... 17&cat=500

Grace and Peace
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sarge » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:45 pm

I bought the same flashlight as Dee Bee from the same vendor on Ebay and I also paid $7 plus $10 shipping and I think it was worth it!

I've owned LEDs for about 8 years now and in the beginning I paid big bucks for a lousy light. This 3 watt bulb is definitely the brightest LED I have. Most lights with a 3 watt bulb take special lithium batteries, but this light just uses 3 AAA batteries, which is a very attractive alternative.

The build looks ok. The only thing that is kind of flimsy is the rack that holds the batteries. With a little care, I think it'll be fine.

Thanks for informing me Dee Bee.

-Sarge
-Sarge

Don't "should" on yourself, there are plenty of others who will "should" on you for no reason. Accept what you did and move on. Life is too short.

2011 Three Feathers, Pinecone
2005 Hunter HU-4, Fat Shadow - SOLD
1961 Body
Sarge
Teardrop Master

Postby lmh222 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:42 pm

I run a small eBay business and we sell Inova LED flashlights. They are pricey but their battery consumption is very low for their power output (and when you use a flashlight often batteries are the REAL expense). They also have a full lifetime warranty.

We also sell the Lithium CR123A batteries that many LED lights use.

Here's the link: www.GreenMountainElectronics.com

I'd be happy to offer free shipping for any T&TTT board members. Just drop me an e-mail through the checkout page and I'll send you a custom invoice.

Lindsey :)
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Off Topic