worlds largest grizzley

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

worlds largest grizzley

Postby Chip » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:44 pm

hope this comes thru,,, for those who camp in Grizzley country,, yall have fun,, for us down south the racoon is just fine thankya

The beauties of nature

The following (first two) pictures are of a guy who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head. The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds.

It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world.

Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to remind tourist's of the risks involved when in the wild). Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture.

The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots they ultimately found four 38 calibre slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) it only wounded the bear and probably angered it. The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker. Think about this - I f you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours. To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom window…..

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TomS » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:24 pm

Hey Chip,

The pics didn't come through.

Somethings dosn't sound right about this story. For one thing, a deer hunter shot the bear last week? Isn't it a little early in the year for deer season. Now, I realize deer season comes around earlier in the Northern states. But, mid-March is really pushing it.

I did bicycle tour in Waterton and Glacier National parks in Alberta and Montana a few years ago. That's grizzley country. The hiker / biker campsite at Glacier had a bear-proof box made out of 3/8 thiick welded plate steel. Thing looked like it came off an M1 tank. It's use was very manditory. There were signs everywhere threatening fines for leaving food out. After seeing that box, I don't think I'd want to tangle with a grizz.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Betsey » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:58 pm

I would have to agree with Tom. Check out this link

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/b ... lybear.htm

Apparently, this story/tale/urban legend has been around since 2001 and has some truth to it. The link has what I assume are the 3 pictures Chip tried to post. The first two are legitimate photos of a big grizzly, but not as big as in the story. The third one comes with a warning that the picture is very graphic. I don't know if it is or not, I'm not a fan of gruesome/graphic photos, so I didn't open it. However, the analysis at the end of the article says that the third picture is "bogus."

That said, grizzlies are still nothing to mess with, no matter what their size. Especially if you're camping in a tent!

Betsey
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:38 pm

Betsey ,, looks like the same story,,,I am just passing on a big tale or bear as the case may be,,, all I know is NO I havent been drinking and yes this sucker is big and no I aint going camping in Alaska,,,, I didnt shoot it so I can not say if true or not,,

two men in the forrest heard a bear tearing thru the brush,, one man started lacing up his tennis shoes real tight ,, the other said you cant out run a bear,, first man said I dont have to outrun bear just you!!!!!!!!!!!

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:13 am

Uh, Chip... Do grizzlies like pickles ??? :roll:
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:01 am

That bear at the airport has been there for ever. Saw it when plane stopped on the way to Vietnam in 69. BIG BEAST.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:12 am

Dave if they do like pickles I gonna change my ways,,, clean living,, etc etc etc :thumbsup: :lol:

yea right!!!!!!!

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woody » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:31 am

Watch out for the attack of the killer flamingos, rumor has it they are drawn to their prey by the scent of pickles in the lingering in the air. Many people put pink plastic decoy flamingos, which attracts them, around white trailers camping at campgrounds. When you least expect it they pounce on there unsuspecting pickled human prey , due to the scent of pickles, which is like a mating scent to them, and they try to inpregnate anything they come across while in this frenzied state. So be careful Chip and let this be a warning about the dangers of tacky lawn ornaments and the reaction wildlife has to them. I saw it on the Discovery Channel show "When Animals Attacks" so it has to be true
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:57 am

Urban Legend or not I have two words for that hiker (deceased) with the pea shooter : "Desert Eagle"

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:00 am

Desert Eagle would do it. My brother has one and it is quite the hand cannon to fire. Took me by surprise first time I fired it WOW
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:42 pm

Another danger of pink flamingo lawn decor to be aware of - may cause some people to wear plaid shorts with flowered shirts, black knee socks with brown wingtips, and a straw hat... For some reason if a person lives in a mobile home with a plastic banana tree by the front deck the odds of catching this disease increase dramatically... Don't know if pickle juice is an effective antidote Chip, so be careful....... :D
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:44 pm

Soooooooo what yall is saying is my plaid pants and flowered shirt are sure signs I got a bad case of flamingaitus,, but they followed me home and I didnt have anybody to tell me I couldnt keep them,,,, ITS all Pete's fault,, He is the one to blame,, gonna have to have a heart to heart wid him next week,, I just bet he is gonna bring some of his tacky plastic birds to the lake in april,, some may follow me but I not gonna tell them I am going,,,

breeding frenzy huh,,,

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PETED » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:41 am

Chip, i think you meant to say you were goin to have a pickled gizzard to heart talk with me :lol: pete
PETED
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dennis T » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:41 am

They are loose. Chip, round em up & get em home

Dennis [/img]
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby Chip » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:49 pm

ROLLING AL OVER THE FLOOR LAUGHING,, Dennis now that is funny,,,,

You and Darla have a great one,,, and thanks,,,lmao

chip