Boy and Girl Scouts?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Boy and Girl Scouts?

Postby RICHARD FURROW » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:59 am

During my observances of this forum, and after visiting the North Meets South Gathering, I have noticed many Teardropers have/were involved in Boy and Girl Scouting. Lets hear from you. Who out there were, or are, a scout, leader, or scout parent? What are some of your expierences? I must say there are many similarities between the two. The gatherings seem to be just a scout camporee with little trailers for tents, and the youth are now, well, "older youth". Anyway, lets see how many of you are out there.

Ricky
RICHARD FURROW
Teardrop Master

Re: Boy and Girl Scouts?

Postby grant whipp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:48 am

RICHARD FURROW wrote:... The gatherings seem to be just a scout camporee with little trailers for tents ...

Well, that's a pretty interesting comparison, Ricky ...

... but I wouldn't know for sure ... never been to a scout camporee. I made it all the way through Cub Scouts, though, but then I was old enough to help my father in his shop, building boats (that was also about the time I started building skateboards for all the neighborhood kids ...). I did, however, attend a couple of meetings with some buddies of mine ... it's where I learned to swim ... :thumbsup:

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby BILLYL » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:56 am

We are very proud Scout parents (my youngest is a Eagle Scout and we are planning his ceremony). My wife and I like what they Scouts represent and help out as volunteers and merit badge counselors.

Although are boys are no longer in Scouts they still participate in helping out there troop when they can.

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:48 am

sYes, I was in scouting, first cubs, then boys scouts, then Sea Scouts. We had an Air Force drop boat. It was 42' long open deck, double masted, all mahogany Sail Boat, at one meet that we had to sail around 100 mile to get to, I won a knot tying contest and got to ride in a converted PT boat (diesels and no guns)belonging to one of the other ships (ships were like scout troops.) never forget that ride..Jim G. :D
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby cherokeegeorge » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:54 am

Yup, I was a scout. Best adventure,We built kayaks and kayaked the colorado river from Blyth to Yuma. I did the trip 3 times. :thumbsup: I loved the scouts, still do. :applause:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby sid » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 am

Hey there Ricky,

I have 3 Eagle Scouts. I was Assistant Scoutmaster for 10 years. We did Philmont 3 times and the Boundary Waters twice. Too many backpacking trips to mention. The oldest Shane, worked for the Scouts as a canoe guide in Ely, MN for two summers and worked their winter camping program one winter. He also worked at Philmont for one summer in the back country. The middle one, Craig, also worked at Philmont for a summer.

Scouting has definitely helped shape and round out a lot of lives, young and old. We always tried to have one outing a month, whether it was canoeing, backpacking, bicycling or maybe just a service project.

Pat and I are planning a trip to the Boundary Waters (Quetico) for next August. Canoeing just don't get any better than that.

I think Scouting is an excellent organization. Thanks for bringing it up!

Mark
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby annalbs » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 am

Girl Scout here! I made it to Junior Scout before I had to drop out due to activity overload. My mom was my scout leader and my dad was the Boy Scout leader for my brothers and is still the head scout leader with my middle brother being his assistant scout leader. All three of my brothers are Eagle Scouts. We were just a scouty family and grew up camping with the scouts. I guess that's where my love of camping came from, although I still can't build a fire. :oops: thank goodness for vaseline and cottonballs and a husband... :R :D
annalbs
Teardrop Master

Postby Siobhra » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:45 am

Father was a Boy Scout Leader
Mother was a Girl Scout Leader
I got to do a lot of both.

I joined a co-ed Explorer scout unit sponsored by the Air Force.
As a child I was my own imaginary friend.
Siobhra
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Eunice » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:16 pm

I am the Troop Committee Chair for our boy scouts. Kenny is a member of the committee.
Kenny is the Cubmaster for our pack. I am a member of that committee.

Kenny was a boy scout. I was in campfire girls.
I think this is an amazing program and I love being part of it.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby planovet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:47 pm

I was a Boy Scout way back when. Got all the way to Life and was working on Eagle when high school football got in the way. I regret to this day that I did not go ahead and finish my Eagle. Same thing for piano lessions. The coach told me one day "Boy, you need to choose between football and everthing else". Well, I chose football. In west Texas high school football is king. Boy Scouts and piano fell to the wayside. I don't regret choosing football but I do wish I could have had been an Eagle scout and know how to play the piano.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby madjack » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:48 pm

...cub scouts, boy scouts, order of the arrow, life scout...then I discovered girls and gasoline about the same time and scouting fell by the wayside...it has all been downhill from there...I shoulda just stayed a scout :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby vrooom3440 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:03 pm

No teardrop... but a scouter indeed.

Went through the Cub Scout program as a boy but never made the jump to Boy Scouts.

Got back in when my boy came of Cub Scout age and went through the whole Tiger/Wolf/Bear/Webelos program. Sometimes as a den leader, sometimes as Cubmaster, and always as the parent who would not go away.

Now after a couple years of Boy Scouts with my son I find myself wearing many hats... Assistant Scoutmaster, District Round Table Commissioner, District Training Team, and Troop Guide for the upcoming Woodbadge course.

Last weekend at the Area III Trainers Conference, a couple of us were having a laugh that the ONE training class we have NEVER seen in scouting is the class on 'how to say no' :lol:
vrooom3440
Teardrop Builder

Postby sid » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:02 pm

madjack wrote:...cub scouts, boy scouts, order of the arrow, life scout...then I discovered girls and gasoline about the same time and scouting fell by the wayside...it has all been downhill from there...I shoulda just stayed a scout :D ;)
madjack 8)

Those two aromas..... perfume and gasoline..... get a lot of em Madjack :lol: :lol:
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby jplock » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Once a scout always a scout! Scouting was one of the biggest things in life utill I got too old at 18. Some of the highlights was getting Eagle Scout in 1970. We were quarantined at Philmont in 1970, went to the 7th National Jamboree in Idaho in 1969, and two trips to sommers canoe base North of Ely Minnesota, and many many days and nights of camping. There was Friendships and memories that were made to last a lifetime.
:D :D :D
jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby martha24 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:49 pm

I was in girl scouts through elementary school and my mother was my scout leader for part of the time. I was my daughter's girl scout leader starting with brownies in 1st grade through cadettes in 9th grade and most of the girls earned their silver award.
My son was a cub scout & boy scout and earned his eagle scout just before his 18th birthday. With his boy scout troop I was involved in the troop committee.
My husband, David, never was a scout growing up and never got very involved in the children's scouts either. But he was always willing to help with projects if asked. Scouts are usually involved with lots of projects. :lol:
Scouts can do a lot of good for young people growing up. :thumbsup:
I always enjoyed the camping part of scouting and no doubt reflects partly in my enjoying teardrops.
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic