Boy and Girl Scouts?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 pm

I wasn't a Scout but was a Pathfinder, a similar co-ed group that did crafts and camped in the Borrego desert :sweaty: , Idlewild, CA etc. They transported us in large open steak trucks, it wasn't that fun, cough, cough. Teardrop gatherings are much more fun :thumbsup: . I too built skateboards that looked like surfboards for the neighborhood kids. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:22 pm

Gave it a good try to make Eagle, but didn't get into scouting until I was 14 1/2.
Was a Star Scout and was waiting for my Life Board of Review, but time ran out.
Made to the second level of OA... Brotherhood (Moatoc Lodge)
Stayed on as an Assitant Scoutmaster for a few years, did some mountaineering with the Explorer Post in our troop.
Years later, spent several years as a Royal Ranger Commander.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Steve E » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:23 pm

i was a BLUEBIRD.....then a BROWNIE........then onto 4-H
didn't have girl scouts or boy scouts in rural area i grew up in. hadn't thought about any of this in long time. guess HAVE been around for many moons.. :) sure good memories of long ago
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 pm

Made it as far as Webelos and other interests took over. 8) Not all of them necessarily good either. :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby GregB » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:46 pm

Cub Scout, Webelos, Eagle Scout, War Chief at Camp Winton, Assistant Scoutmaster, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Varsity Team Leader. Lotsa' fun.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby mandy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:04 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Gave it a good try to make Eagle, but didn't get into scouting until I was 14 1/2.
Was a Star Scout and was waiting for my Life Board of Review, but time ran out.
Made to the second level of OA... Brotherhood (Moatoc Lodge)
Stayed on as an Assitant Scoutmaster for a few years, did some mountaineering with the Explorer Post in our troop.
Years later, spent several years as a Royal Ranger Commander.

No Way Dean, I was a Royal Ranger Comander too. I got the Stright Arrows, and now they call them the Ranger Kids.(K-2 grades)

I also was in Missionettes (like Girl Scouts but church oriented) as a girl and became a coordinator to the Friends group (6-7 grades). Thats where I got to go camping. I loved it, I still do love it.

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby stbuch » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 pm

I was a Girl Scout and a Girl Scout leader. My first camping trip was to Camp Winatoska, a scout camp! :campfire:

Sherrie
Good grief, isn�t it the weekend yet?
Maybe if I sleep in the camper the week
will pass faster�
stbuch
The 300 Club

Postby Gary and Cheri » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:35 pm

I was an Indian Guide, which for those of you who have never heard of them, it was the YMCAs version of Boy Scouts. Indian Guide meetings involved every boy attending with his Dad. Went to camp in the summer and had many simularites to Scouts.

Oldest daughter earned her Gold award through Girl Scouts.

Gary
" I started out with nothing and I have most of it left." Groucho Marx

With each grey hair I'm another step closer to becoming a wizard!
Gary and Cheri
500 Club

Postby alffink » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Great Thread

Was only a Cub for a couple of years, before we moved to a new area and never got back into Scouting until my sons dragged me along (kicking and sreaming) ....assistant Scout Master, Webelos got into assisting with a group of scouts that wanted to do some Bicycle Touring.
Years later got into our churches Royal Ranger program ended up Commander for a couple of years.
Now I assist Scouts - Boys and Girls, Royal Rangers, Missionettes with astronomy projects. Host many astronomy weekend camping trips to our dark-sky site in the desert.
alffink
Donating Member

scouts

Postby doitright » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:07 pm

I went all the way to eagle. My children did not want to do scouts. I did get my grandson who lives with me in scouts. He just finished his eagle scout project and has two merit badges to get. He will have his eagle by spring if it kills me. I started in scouts for the seconded time 7 years ago at 46 and I also found there is not a word in scouting such as no. Grandson started as a tiger cub and I started as a cubmaster. When we got to boy scouts I am now a Ast. Scoutmaster. Boy I am glade I got demoted. My main job is cooking for the adults at the campouts. Just this past weekend we---I cooked stew, donuts, apple crisp, peach cobbler, deer sausage, mt.man breakfast, chillie, pineapple upside down cake, bacon, dirty eggs (just eggs scrambled and everything left over in the ice box) Between cooking and cleaning my black pots I never got to sit down. Next time I think I will just leave my chair at home and bring a stool.
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby tinksdad » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 am

I got involved in Cub Scouts the year that Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the Union. I vividly remember the cover of Boy's Life commemorating the events.

Started Boy Scouts during the Mercury Space Launches. Anybody else remember the plastic space capsules BSA was giving out at the time as a remembrance??

Never made it past 1st Class!! Morse code was a requirement at that time, and I could never get the hang of it. That was the only thing that kept me from advancing.

College years were a blur.... mainly for two reasons.... recreational pharmeseucitcals (sp?) and VietNam.

Marriage and children changed my perspective. I got involved again with both organizations. I was a District Commissioner with the BSA, and the very first ever 01 male leader of a Girl Scout troop. GSA and I had a unique arrangement that worked, although they sometimes questioned my methods. I wouldn't break their precious rules; but I sure would bend them until they screamed...... and the girls loved it!!! They experienced more things than any other troop in our district.

I have to admit, my fondness for camping comes from my early AND adult experiences with both organizations.

BTW..... my daughter made Gold Girl Scout and my son was just lacking his Eagle Project before his Navy enlistment took him away from us.
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:58 am

When I was a wee lad a neighbour kid invited me to a scout meeting. My Dad, being the devout Canadian Reformed, wouldn't let me go, because the scout group was from a Baptist church. That's the closest I come to scouts. If he had let me go.... I might be a different person than I am now..... :thinking:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:36 am

Do they still have scouting in Great Britian, and on the continent. Seems to me scouting started in England. 8) Jim G
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:19 am

I made it up to the boy scout and my first camp out. When I whipped out my pocket knife to cut something the scout master freeked out because I had a knife and I knew that the scouts was not the place for me.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:52 pm

Lets see, I am an asst Scoutmaster working on my wood badge beads, I was the cub master till my son crossed over to scouts, and, for historical purposes, i'll mention that myself and a fellow named Jamie Anderson resurrected the troop from certain death by chartering the troop with ghosts for a year till our boys crossed over. Troop 88 has been continuously chartered for 50 years., and out of the original 5 boys that were the core of the pack and then troop, 4 made Eagle, and my son dropped out as Star...go figger.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic