Boy and Girl Scouts?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby George T. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:13 am

Greetings from Colorado!

Cub Scout and Boy Scout. As with Mad Jack, girls, cars and "other" things lured me away...

Several years ago I went to a Cub Scout Meeting with my grandson after he complained about the leader. We never went back. I found another local Cub Scout pack where he was welcomed with open arms. Being his adult partner, I stayed with him through Tigers.

From there, it was on to Wolves, Bears and now Webelos with yours truly serving as Den Leader at each level. I currently have 18 boys in my den.

It's all about giving back. Giving our kids a chance at a better future. I feel that we have an obligation to teach these young folks moral and social values. Unfortunately, life moves at such a rapid pace, that the parents and the schools cannot keep up.

For all you that volunteer your time, hurrah!

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

I recently had a "Follow me boys!" experience. I had a sullen young gentleman join our pack. He would not participate, communicate or become involved. Talking with the boys as a group, I found out that his family is having a very rough time. Finding out that the family could not afford a uniform, book, etc., the pack quietly outfitted him. You should have seen the look on his face at the next meeting. It melted my heart. He has started to come out of his shell and actively involves himself...

Follow Me Boys!

George T.
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby RICHARD FURROW » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:43 am

MOKI SEAKER wrote:Do they still have scouting in Great Britian, and on the continent. Seems to me scouting started in England. 8) Jim G

You are correct. Scouting did originate in England. Chicago publisher, William D. Boyce, was visiting London in 1909. He became lost in the fog when a boy helped him find his way. When offered some money for his help, the boy refused, saying that he was a Scout and the deed was his good turn. Impressed, Mr. Boyce looked into the young man's organization. It seemed the boys had formed a club that followed a book written by Robert Baden Powell. Upon his return to the United States, he along with a couple friends, incorporated the Boy Scouts of America on February 8, 1909. We will celebrating our 100th anniversity in 2010.
Boy Scouts of America is a member of the "World Organization of the Scout Movement". The "World Organization of the Scout Movement" has a membership of over 28 million people from, as of this year, 150 countries! So yes, Scouting is still in England!
RICHARD FURROW
Teardrop Master

Postby planovet » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 am

George T. wrote:I recently had a "Follow me boys!" experience. I had a sullen young gentleman join our pack. He would not participate, communicate or become involved. Talking with the boys as a group, I found out that his family is having a very rough time. Finding out that the family could not afford a uniform, book, etc., the pack quietly outfitted him. You should have seen the look on his face at the next meeting. It melted my heart. He has started to come out of his shell and actively involves himself...

That's is what Scouting is all about. Good for you George. :applause:

ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby clkelley564 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:17 am

I was a Girl Scout growing up and earned my First Class award (now called Gold Award)

My brothers were Boy Scouts and our Girl Scout Troop did a lot of things as a joint with my brother's Boy Scout Troop. (Try that now!!) (Hah!!)

Then my boys joined Cubs and I did it all - Tiger Cub Coach, Pack Committee Chairman, Troop Committe Chairman, now just on the Troop Committee, BSA Lifeguard, etc., etc. My oldest earned his Eagle, and my youngest decided he was done at 17 3/4 with only his project and part of one merit badge left.

Both boys went to a National Jamboree. I went to to the 2005 National Jamboree on the Boating Staff.

I still serve on Committee in a limited role (it's nice to be able to say NO!!). I help the boys about to be Eagle fill out their applications and doublecheck their application to make sure it jives with council records and with Troopmaster. I also help the moms plan the Eagle Court of Honor. I also go on an occasional camping trip that appeals to me.

I'm still thinking about going to 2010 National Jamboree on staff again, but now that I've got my T@B, using 3 precious weeks of vacation where I'm sleeping in a circus tent with 7 other women and no AC just doesn't sound appealing any more :?
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby vrooom3440 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:13 pm

clkelley564 wrote:...My brothers were Boy Scouts and our Girl Scout Troop did a lot of things as a joint with my brother's Boy Scout Troop. (Try that now!!) (Hah!!)

Actually it still happens, perhaps with varying degrees of "joint"ness. We have had a few campouts where Girl Scouts with family connections and their troop were also camping at the same location.

It is interesting to see the difference in Girl Scout troop personalities. My daughter is in high school and on her fourth troop. This troop is made up of girls from all over with the main common thread being that they come from scouting families with at least 3 Boy Scout troops connected. With that common thread, this is the most active Girl Scout troop we have been with, does the most camping, and the one that operates most "girl led".

And George you gotta be a saint to stay sane with 18 boys :shock: in your den! I am going to guess there is a lack of committed volunteers in the pack to support splitting into a more normal sized two dens :roll:
vrooom3440
Teardrop Builder

WHY KNOT!!!

Postby Harold Sultzbaugh » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:51 pm

I was a Scout in the fifties, and then a leader in all roles umtil I retired at age 50+/- As you all know it can be a full time job--but very enjoyable.

We leaders used to say " it's an organization that lets boys be men, and of course lets men be boys! "The kids will never know how much we enjoyed it!

I can still tie a bowline behind my back and still have first aid skills.
Obviously it was a very important part of my life for a long time.

Happy trails!!

Harold

Rember--Eagles do not flock.. They fly alone!
CMTears
Harold Sultzbaugh
Silver Donating Member

Postby clkelley564 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:26 pm

vrooom3440 wrote:
clkelley564 wrote:...My brothers were Boy Scouts and our Girl Scout Troop did a lot of things as a joint with my brother's Boy Scout Troop. (Try that now!!) (Hah!!)

Actually it still happens, perhaps with varying degrees of "joint"ness. We have had a few campouts where Girl Scouts with family connections and their troop were also camping at the same location.

It is interesting to see the difference in Girl Scout troop personalities. My daughter is in high school and on her fourth troop. This troop is made up of girls from all over with the main common thread being that they come from scouting families with at least 3 Boy Scout troops connected. With that common thread, this is the most active Girl Scout troop we have been with, does the most camping, and the one that operates most "girl led".

That is great to hear!! I have just read where dads are banished to the "South 40" when camping with Girl Scouts and so I was just imagining how the USGSA powers that be would react if the girls were camping in the same county as a Boy Scout Troop. When I was at BSA National Jamboree the female youth staff was tenting near our area, and I heard SO many storys of how they just couldn't find good Girl Scout Troops that would do the things they wanted to do, so that's why they joined Venture Crews. Lots of them gave up their quest for Gold Award to do so.
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby mandy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:37 pm

clkelley564 wrote:
vrooom3440 wrote:

That is great to hear!! I have just read where dads are banished to the "South 40" when camping with Girl Scouts and so I was just imagining how the USGSA powers that be would react if the girls were camping in the same county as a Boy Scout Troop. When I was at BSA National Jamboree the female youth staff was tenting near our area, and I heard SO many storys of how they just couldn't find good Girl Scout Troops that would do the things they wanted to do, so that's why they joined Venture Crews. Lots of them gave up their quest for Gold Award to do so.

Given that I wasn't a Girl Scout but a Missionette at Church we had the same problem. Too much in class studys and not enough outdoorsy stuff.
We lost lots of girls in Mid-school cause it was "Boring". When I became a leader of the Mid-school aged girls we did a lot of camping, fishing, Hiking, and slumber partys. The catch was they had to earn the activitys by doing the class work. So I had a very active bunch of girls.

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby bg » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Never really did any scouting, I did teach Discovery Rangers for about a year.

I have to agree with Mandy - too much busy work inside, not enough outdoor activities.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby vrooom3440 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:14 pm

clkelley564 wrote:
vrooom3440 wrote:

Yep I would have probably encouraged my daughter more towards a Venture Crew if it were not for that one pesky detail of the lack of Gold Award. The BSA might really have something if there was something equivalent to Eagle/Gold that could be earned *in* the Venture Crew. And no the dual registration for boys so then can be in a Venture Crew *and* a Boy Scout Troop so as to earn their Eagle does NOT count.

It really is too bad more outdoor activities are not offerred and encouraged for girls. They need them and can enjoy them just as much as the boys. The girls had a GREAT time learning practical camping knots when I taught at their Camporee this fall :)
vrooom3440
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rigsby » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:58 pm

I started in the cub scouts, then on to the scouts and then onto venture scouts. Dad was the scout leader, and mum was the girl guide leader. Some of my school mates would take the p155 out of me bacause of the uniform, but i found it a brilliant way to learn things in my formative years, a lot of which get me out troubles daily. I still use my knotting skills in my every day life, and on a corporate team bonding day, I headed the only group whose raft didnt fall apart, because i could tie knots that didnt come undone
And what joys were found in the arms of a randy welsh girl guide during summer camp night time wide games That night will be engrained in my head untill the day i die!
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Re: Boy and Girl Scouts?

Postby kinto » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Cub Scout, Boy Scout, OA... Almost made Eagle, but met a girl & my service project fell by the wayside...

kent
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby VijayGupta » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Boy Scout. My scout leaders were all WWII vets, so I always considered it para-military.

Only had girls, but wife was a Brownie leader.

Son-in-law is an Eagle Scout, so he's now my grandsons' Cub Scout Packmaster.
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 pm

all my family camping was remembered for the disaster stories...
only got involved with the scouts when I joined a teenage rowing club that was afiliated with the sea scouts. Never learned any of the scouting stuff, but spent many hours rowing, exploring, and learned that camping can be fun. I still don't think it is camping if a boat isn't involved.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Proof some are reading way back, So glad you bumped this thread.
In 1950 I made it to a Scout camp out with my mother and father and two older brothers. , I was barely 5 months old. my mother was a cub leader and daddy was the Scout Master, I hung out till I was 5 years old. Then we made a family move to Atlanta to take care of my grandmother. Scouts ended. When my sons were cub age they were in cub scouts then started Boy Scouts. I owned a 13 passenger van. So I quickly was made advancement chairman and had to attend all meetings and had to be there for any group badge earning , at the lake, the assistant Scout Master and I did the swim a mile with the boys...........he got the boat and I got to swim. The camp outs were fun, I enjoyed them I didn't know to say no and became a commissioner, Then I was asked as the third woman in Ga, to attend Wood Badge. What an honor. I had a blast, we camped for 7 days in March the blue ridge mountains. I have lots of great memories. Although we all got out of scouting at the same time, my sons didn't get their Eagles they did learn some very useful things for life and survival skills.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic