Boy and Girl Scouts?

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Boy and Girl Scouts?

Postby celticquetzel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:27 pm

I was a Girl Scout and 4Her, my daughter a Girl Scout and son a Boy Scout (Eagle), so I was a leader for both. Lots of really great times and memories. Biggest difference... boys want sausage, ham, and bacon for breakfast. Girls want donut holes cooked on a stick with chocolate, powdered sugar and candy sprinkles. I kid you not! But both were happy little junior arsonists. And I`m a guaranteed mark for cookies and popcorn! ;)
celticquetzel
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes I was a scout but the camping came long before that. Last year on of our camp spots was in Big Basin Redwoods State Park and my sister tells me I had camped there 60 years before at age 3.

Our kids grew up camping using the same 1930's era Coleman lantern and three burner Preway stove that I grew up with. We most often would go to Lake Superior Provincial Park. This year We returned for the first time in 13 years and our daughter and her husband joined us for two days.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Todah Tear » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:35 am

My mom was a Den Mother for my brothers' Boyscout Troops. My sister was a Campfire Girl, and I was Girl Scout. ...oh and my dad earned his "patches" in the navy. :D

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mrsanderson » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm a life time Girl Scout and did my share of camping and road trips...including lots of dutch oven cooking.
5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics
mrsanderson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wagondude » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:26 am

My father was in Cubs and started in Boy Scouts but quit over a disagreement with the Scoutmaster. I was never presented with the opportunity to join as a boy. My son wanted to join cub Scouts, so my wife signed him up. Some how I ended up being the one to attend most of the meetings. I am registered as an Assistant Scoutmaster with our troop and have learned a great deal as a result. We have both enjoyed experiences that we would not have without Scouts. If I could only figure out a way to get him motivated to finish up those last two merit badges and get the Eagle project done. I do have others in the troop helping out with that, so maybe not as big a concern as my wife thinks it should be.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jdhiker » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:57 pm

I am a Scoutmaster and my wife is the troop Chaplain.... My oldest son is 18 and just in college.. He is an Eagle Scout, My youngest boy is 14 and working on Life! We are campers through and through. Philmont 1 time in 2010 and one coming up in 2014.

I am pretty sure when I finish our teardrop and some of the other leaders see it... Well I am sure there will be some built by them as we'll !
Jim & Charlene
Belchertown MA.

Working on Benny the "Shasta Mini" !! to be pulled behind 2012 Honda CRV
Blog, http://www.jdhiker.wordpress.com

other campers I'm working on
64 Beeline Wasp
66 Shasta compact
and out family Standee is
26' 2012 Keystone Summerland towed with a 2003 GMC 2500HD Crew CAb
Jdhiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mary C » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Bill this is a true story, pass it on.

I was out eating one day at a nice restaurant and because I was eating alone I over heard a conversation where two men were deciding on the which man to hire for the 100,000 job at a prestigious and well known business. Each had one of their application and resume. They started comparing the two, each applicant had completed their masters, each had children, each had worked for various companies and each had church affiliations and various clubs and organizations they belonged too. But one had completed his eagle and volunteered as a assistant Scout master. the one through down the papers and said that is your man!!!! I will call him said the other. WOW I was suddenly impressed and completely surprised. I went away asking if what I heard was real. The two men were so equal, and the fact that one had earned his Eagle was the deciding factor was crazy fantastic. Sometimes what we do accomplish at a young age can count 20 years later!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Roo Dog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 pm

An old Sea Scout here from many years ago.
I was demoted for swearing in semaphore (Flags). A sharp eyed Scout master read the message I was sending to another Scout.
At least what I was sending was readable and made sense. No defense it would seem.
RD :)
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here !
Roo Dog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tommy2tone_1999 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Was a Boy Scout as a kid, and later in life became an Assistant Scoutmaster for the Troop both of my Eagle Scout sons came up through. Now I help train adult leaders in Scouting.
Make time for fitness and it'll make time for you.
http://TommyDoran.com
http://tommydoran.com/favor
Interview: http://goo.gl/Non1oR
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58395
Come find me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran
Tommy2tone_1999
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Off Topic