BBS Days

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

BBS Days

Postby Jimbo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:06 pm

I moved this one over to a new topic since I thought others might be interested as well.

mikeschn wrote:BBS? Yea I remember those days. I started at 300 baud, and I think by the time I got up to 2400 baud I was running a Wildcat BBS. It was as successful as a small town BBS could get... till a bolt of lighting took everything out...

Nowadays I host everything in CA, and keep by backups here in Michigan. But if CA falls into the ocean, a forum will be the least of our worries.

Anyways, it's politics as always that gives me the most fits and headaches. But I have a plan to handle any future disturbances. Judgement will be swift and sure...

Hmmmm I've gotten sidetracked... thanks for the encouragement and support!!!

Mike...

Jimbo wrote:Mike, I've been offline (DSL problems) or I would have posted this sooner... You da man!!! Congratulations on one year of growth and information. Thank you for taking the time (and headaches) necessary to provide this service. I understand the headaches cause back in the day, I used to run a BBS. It gave me great joy but, at times, great pain.

I personally would not have been able to get my TD going without the great advice of our resident experts. My hats off to all of you!!! :applause: Of course, if it breaks, I can then blame all of you and claim ignorance. 8) Just kidding!!!

Ahh, the good old days!!! I ran mine from the early days up until I went to work for an ISP in 96. I ran several flavors of software over the years but, my favorite was Remote Access for the BBS and Front Door for the mailer. I've even played around with the idea of setting up a telnet BBS so I could run some of my old favorite doors. Were you in FidoNet?

I credit my BBS experience with helping me get into technology by getting my foot in the door at the ISP. Ever since then, my career has been going like crazy, even through the dotcom bust. I start a new job Monday (Yes!!!), still in technology. Now if I could just keep my Internet connection going (I've got a plan for that one even). :D
Started many, finished none... Bought a TTT <Sigh> ;)
Jimbo
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to Off Topic