Memory foam mattress for home

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Memory foam mattress for home

Postby purplepickup » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:56 am

Some of you have talked about using memory foam in their tears and a couple have mentioned that they use it on their beds at home. I'm starting to get some lower back pain and it seems like it's worse when I sleep longer like I tend to do on weekends. I think my mattress isn't good for my back.

I've heard the claims from the people selling memory foam and I thought I'd ask what you thought. They sell everything from expensive full blown mattresses to 1" toppers. I think I'd like to try something and would probably start with a topper but don't want to waste my money on one that isn't good enough...and being frugal (cheap), I don't want to spend and arm and a leg.

Is there different qualities of memory foam and if there are what should I look for? And how thick is thick enough? I weigh around 225 and am 6' tall.

Thanks.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby anonymous2 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:25 pm

Hi purplepickup,

We have a 04 Camp Inn,and if I had any thing to complain about the teardrop,it would be the mattress that it came with. We use a 1" memory foam topper{Overstock.com or Walmart} $69.00. It makes the bed much more comfortable. We too suffer from backaches after 6 hours. We slept 11.5 hours sleeping last weekend camping,so it must work OK. We are still looking for 3" thick Memory foam to replace the original mattress. In our house we have an air adjustable mattress with 2" of memory foam built in,and that would be our ultimate if we could get one for our teardrop. Our memory foam topper has seen use on 3 campers in 4 years,and has held up well.Good luck finding that ultimate bedding.BTW I am your size,and the 1" works Ok ,but thicker will be better.

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:43 pm

George,

I'm about your size, Ok, maybe a little bit heavier, and have lower back pain problems also. We first put a 3" memory foam topper on our bed at home ( purchased from overstock.com) and we really like it. The first thing we noticed was there was no more stiffness when we woke in the mornings. We are genuinely improved.

When I bought the 4" medium foam matress from Knox foam I decided before even sleeping on it that it would not do. Got a 1 1/4" topper, again from overstock.com, and put it with the 4" knox foam in the teardrop, and it's good. Not as good as the one hear at the house, but goed enough.

I'd advise getting a topper for you bed at home first to see if you like it.

15 pounds is a "little bit heavier"! :) ;)
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:29 pm

I got a 6" knox mattress. First night on a recent trip, slept ok but pressure points on knees and hip were certainly noticable.... all the rest of the nights, was ok, but not perfect....

I see overstock had 1/2/3" toppers available.

Is 2" enough, not sure sheets will fit over more than 8" total.....

Also, the mattress is the same width as the inside and making the bed is a bit on the tough side. But, once made, it ain't pulling out.......

So, 2" memory topper good enough (or at least a big help)??
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby lmh222 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:29 pm

This site seems to break down the information really well. It talks about different densities of memory foam and also recommends different mattress toppers based on your weight.

http://www.wholesale-memory-foam.com/id15.html

The weight per cubic foot of foam gives you a standard to compare different foams by different manufacturers. Some companies will whip the foam so that it is REALLY REALLY light and it won't do ANYTHING for your back at all because you'll just sink right through it. On the other hand - a super-dense foam may be too hard.

Lindsey
The difference between being involved and being commited is like eggs and bacon - the chicken was involved but the pig was commited.

http://www.teardrop.myphotoalbum.com
lmh222
Teardrop Advisor

Postby purplepickup » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:01 pm

Steve I'm thinking of taking your lead and get the Overstock 3" one. The reviews there help too. I like that they even print the bad reviews on their products. I might get a memory foam pillow too.

Now....the cheap side of me is coming out again. I see all the sizes are the same price and my bed is a queen size. If I got the king size topper and trimmed it to queen size, I could have some hunks left over to make small travel pillows or cushions out of. Does the stuff cut well? Like maybe with a sharp box cutter?
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:06 pm

Does the stuff cut well? Like maybe with a sharp box cutter?

George,

Don't know, I've never cut the memory foam. I have cut regular foam rubber and the best way is to use a sharp electric knife.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:07 pm

Does the stuff cut well? Like maybe with a sharp box cutter?

George,

Don't know, I've never cut the memory foam. I have cut regular foam rubber and the best way is to use a sharp electric knife.
SteveH
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:14 pm

Probably cut better if you freeze it...... but that means you have to have a really big freezer, or wait till next winter...... but I like the pillow idea.....

Is going from 2 to 3" worth the money?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Cutting foam

Postby Guy » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:18 pm

The best way to cut memory foam is with an electric carving knife. The same old one you use for roasts. Otherwise you can press down with a steel rule or length of board and cut with a sharp utlity knife.
Last edited by Guy on Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ahjones3 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:12 pm

I bought the 2" king memory foam topper from Overstock.com. I cut it down to Queen size with scissors for our home bed. 1 leftover piece is on my desk chair, another went in a pillow case with a cheap flattened fiberfill pillow.. Now it's the best pillow I've ever had. Very happy.
Al.
ahjones3
Teardrop Builder

Return to Off Topic