VW Bug Hinges

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

VW Bug Hinges

Postby Ross Wade » Sun May 01, 2005 8:17 am

I have purchased my HF frame and making alterations to it for our next trailer, the Runlite. I was having a problem with figuring out how to hinge the galley lid, in a better way then originally designed in the 1930's.The Runlite has a bowed roof.
Alan Geddes had suggested that I use automotive hinges. Great idea :thumbsup: So I was thinking :thinking: I know that there are quite a few Bug owners out here. Would it be possible for someone to PM, email, or post a few pictures of how the deck lid hinges work? How they look? Better yet, if anyone has a repair manual that shows all the pieces for the deck lid hinge (hinge, spring, stand off?). This would help put to rest the last real big hurdle in this project :?

Thanks,
Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby toypusher » Sun May 01, 2005 8:22 am

Ross,

Do you by chance have an Ollie's in your area? They have all sorts of automotive repair manuals that are really cheap. Most of the books in an Ollie's are less than $10.00.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ross Wade » Sun May 01, 2005 8:39 am

We have a few chain automotive stores, here in the hills. :lol: I was hoping not to have to purchase a VW manual just for this purpose. However, that maybe the way to go.

Thanks,
Ross
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby beverlyt » Sun May 01, 2005 8:53 am

Ross,
Deck hinge?
Are you talking about the hatch?

Are you talking about a new beetle or the older vw bugs?

I've got a new beetle I can get some pics for you.... but I'm not sure what you need?

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun May 01, 2005 9:05 am

The advantage of using the hinges most do is they serve the dual purpose of hinge and water diverter..... If you use an internal hinge, you have to cope with drainage...... but, I suspose it would look neater with hidden hinges, though...... has me thinking....

If you live in an area where you have winter freezing weather, I'd cover it for sure, as water would probably lay in that top groove...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby JunkMan » Sun May 01, 2005 10:02 am

As arnereil says, you must figure out a way to seal the lid if you use a VW style hinge. The front of a VW has a rubber seal and channel that diverts any water that gets past it. The rear is at a steep angle, and there is a lip on the lid, that tucks under the body and keeps any water from getting past it.

I doubt if the manuals carry pictures of the hinges. Bieng a VW fan for over 30 years, I have never noticed a picture of the hinges in a manual. I have several old VW's, and can try to get you some pictures this afternoon. Can possibly even get you some hinges, as I am getting ready to junk out one, but I'm not sure if it stil has the hinges on it. Were you looking for the front trunk or the rear engine cover hinges?

If you wanted to use the front ones, there are some really sharp looking billit aluminum hinges availible from aftermarket parts houses.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Sun May 01, 2005 10:27 am

Hi Beverly, Arne and Jeff,

Here is a link to John Blewett's site from where I got the idea to build the Runlite: http://www.tinytears.cc/scans.html

It appears that the rear lid on the VW's is close to the same contour of the Runlite. This trailer will have an automotive upholstered roof and galley lid. I am not totally fixed to the rear hinges. It might be that the front trunk hinges would end up being a better choice. I figured that the VW buffs could see the pros and cons of either type of hinge being used on this trailer.

There will be a "guttering" system around the inside edges of the galley to seal out and divert the water. As an additional measure, add a piece of the same roofing material across the galley hinge point.

Thanks again,
Ross
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby JunkMan » Sun May 01, 2005 10:42 am

Ross,

The front hinges would probably work better, they are longer, and might be easier to mount.

I have to go over to my shop later today, and will bring my digital camera and try to get some pics for you. I doubt if the stock springs would be strong enough to hold up the hatch, but might work as an assist, and you could use a prop rod to keep it up once opened.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun May 01, 2005 11:42 am

That link has some good ideas... angle iron mounted with notched ends, notched doors for fender clearance, etc.. and fun to look at... In 40 years will people being looking at our pictures and saying the same thing...?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby JunkMan » Tue May 03, 2005 10:04 pm

Ross,

Sorry, but I keep forgetting to bring my digital camera to the shop with me. I put it in the truck today, so I should remember to take the pictures tomorrow.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Wed May 04, 2005 6:33 am

Thanks Jeff
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby josephhanson » Wed May 04, 2005 8:47 am

I have a pair of VW bug hinges you can buy! $2375.00 You get a bunch of spare parts to go with them too! You can drive them home!
Joe
josephhanson
Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Wed May 04, 2005 7:10 pm

Ross,

Hope these pics help. Heres the front hinge

Here's a shot of the rear with and without the deck lid

If you decide to try something like them out, let me know, that VW is heading for the crusser soon.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Wed May 04, 2005 9:22 pm

Thanks Jeff, that is just what I was looking for.

Ross
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby len19070 » Sun May 08, 2005 11:54 am

Hey Ross, I don't really know what I'm lookin' at but when in doubt "go back to your roots" JC Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 10/c-10110

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 10/c-10110

Or jcwhitney.com Item numbers ZX128858R and ZX128859X and ZX382797N

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club