Low Down On Copper

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Low Down On Copper

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 11:15 am

Learned something about copper...
The largest sheet size readily available here in the states is 3' x 8'.
The largest width produced in the world is 4'.
There is one mill in Finland that produces copper sheet in coil roll 4' wide.
I learned this after finding an online source that had a calculator for pricing out custom sizes... The sheet I priced out, was 64" wide.
I got excited when it spat me out a price, but then took a big gulp when I looked at the price.
I then called them to inquire if indeed that size was available and was told about that mill in Finland.

Looks like it's a woody roof for me...

Postby Nick Taylor » Wed May 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Well you could always seam it like a roofer would do but that's probably not a look you'd want. Still can do copper accents.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby purplepickup » Wed May 04, 2005 9:16 pm

There's different types of metallic looking stuff on this site http://alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/shfx_show.htm
I don't know what size it's available in or if it's UV resistant. It came up in a discussion about what to use for a polished stainless look for streetrod firewalls but I don't know anything about it.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby TomS » Wed May 04, 2005 9:31 pm

purplepickup wrote:There's different types of metallic looking stuff on this site http://alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/shfx_show.htm
I don't know what size it's available in or if it's UV resistant. It came up in a discussion about what to use for a polished stainless look for streetrod firewalls but I don't know anything about it.

I took a peak at that web site. Interesting stuff. The down side is the widest you can get it is 36" and it's expensive at $10/sq ft.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed May 04, 2005 9:47 pm

I think you can get aluminum that is anodized copper color!
Try Southern Aluminum the one listed on the links page.

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 11:46 pm

I had thought about anodized aluminum, but wasn't sure if I would have any problems with the tight radius' and didn't like the faux look.
I had considered getting something for the roof copper plated too, but found out it was going to be 150.00 just to have my baby moons copper plated.
I've decided to use bead and cove stripping on the roof as well...
I'm going to run my strips angular with a herringbone joint down the centerline, that should make up for not having copper.
I might still use copper as an accent somewhere too.

Postby Joanne » Thu May 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I had thought about anodized aluminum, but wasn't sure if I would have any problems with the tight radius' and didn't like the faux look.
I had considered getting something for the roof copper plated too, but found out it was going to be 150.00 just to have my baby moons copper plated.
I've decided to use bead and cove stripping on the roof as well...
I'm going to run my strips angular with a herringbone joint down the centerline, that should make up for not having copper.
I might still use copper as an accent somewhere too.

The Ace Hardware store around the corner from me has copper switch covers and outlet covers. They would make a nice accent for your trailer.

I don't know the look that you are trying to achieve, but I've often seen copper cladding that is joined together using hammered brass rivets. If you really want a copper finish you might be able to join the copper sheets together using the brass rivits and incorporate them into the overall design. It might be more of a medieval look than you want. Just my .02 worth.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Joanne has gone medieval

Postby Guy » Thu May 05, 2005 8:04 pm

Joanne, the medieval look is exactly what Dean needs. He has so much metal in his frame that he is putting a mace on his breakaway chain. :D Maybe a copper chain mail bra would be good for the front.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Joanne has gone medieval

Postby Joanne » Thu May 05, 2005 8:23 pm

Guy wrote:Joanne, the medieval look is exactly what Dean needs. He has so much metal in his frame that he is putting a mace on his breakaway chain. :D Maybe a copper chain mail bra would be good for the front.

LOL!

It has started me thinking about a design for a medievil style tear for those who attend the Renaissance Faires. Could probably draw a lot of design details from the Gypsy wagons. Hmmmm.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Larwyn » Thu May 05, 2005 8:34 pm

Joanne wrote:
Guy wrote:Joanne, the medieval look is exactly what Dean needs. He has so much metal in his frame that he is putting a mace on his breakaway chain. :D Maybe a copper chain mail bra would be good for the front.

LOL!

It has started me thinking about a design for a medievil style tear for those who attend the Renaissance Faires. Could probably draw a lot of design details from the Gypsy wagons. Hmmmm.

Joanne

Go for it Joanne...!!! I actually considered a medieval design, but, not being much of a designer they all came out looking more like a coffin than a teardrop or tiny travel trailer............ :lol:

If you can design one, it just might be my next build (if I ever finish this one)........ :)
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 06, 2005 3:38 am

Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/wagon.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri May 06, 2005 4:18 am

Heck... While I'm at it, I may as well use lead to fill in all the seams on the body work like the old hot rods...
Put some spikes coming out of the hubs to wreck the other guy's wheels...
Call it Ben Hur...

I guess I do deserve a bit of ribbing about the copper deal, but I'm choosing to go a bit stout on my frame, because I know where I'm taking that thing...
I think the woody roof with a herringbone joint on the strips, right down the length of the centerline will be nice...

Oh... I did come up with a cost effective way to get a copper roof, but I'll let someone else take it on... pennies and super glue. :lol:

Postby Larwyn » Fri May 06, 2005 7:17 am

mikeschn wrote:Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/wagon.htm

Mike...

Actually what I had considered was somthing more like your squared off weekender, only with rivited iron trim......... :lol:

When my lady saw the drawing she asked if I was building "double wide coffin"....... :lol: Of course that was 2 dimensional drawing from the side, not sure what it might look like if actually built.

The curved weekender is coming along well if slowly. Didn't get to work on it at all last weekend but plan to get at least Sunday to put in that final spar and get the wireing done this weekend.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby metoady » Fri May 20, 2005 9:14 am

i fouond this i dont know if it might help

http://www.bargaintraderonline.com/cadd ... 347152.htm

its worth a try 8)
Some days it not even worth chewing
through the restraints.......

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... ser_id=838
metoady
Teardrop Master