1959 Glaspar boat-need advice

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

1959 Glaspar boat-need advice

Postby Gage » Sun May 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Aw, it's my turn to ask a question 8)
I ran accross this '59(?) Glaspar and the guy wants $600 bucks for it. It's about 17 feet and the hall appears to be in pretty good shape. The whole interior needs to be restored but it has a Johnson 40 horse on it that runs.
Any of you boat people out there know anything about glass boats and do you think it's worth the price?

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun May 08, 2005 1:07 pm

...does the trailer come with it? If you want to take on an apparently extensive project I would say offer him $500 for it and take it home and have some fun. I have a 1958 14' Glasmagic in only slightly worse shape under wraps in the back...one day, if I get a big enough roundtoit it will be restored also
madjack 8)

p.s. that is one handsome boat and I would love to have the opportunity to tackle it myself...it would make a beautiful lake/river cruiser
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby ARIZONA GUIDE » Sun May 08, 2005 2:01 pm

I would say go for it. It looks like it is good shape for that year and how it has been stored. Glass is not that hard to work with and can be patched and brought back to its proper state. I love old boats. My grandfather had one and it was a great boat.
ARIZONA GUIDE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kevin A » Sun May 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Gage,

I think you should grab it, it would look just right behind the 59 Ford.
Now all you need is a 59 teardrop. What year was the Scotsman you used for your tear?
:thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby DestinDave » Sun May 08, 2005 3:09 pm

Gage... if you don't take it let me know - I will... it's got great lines and would make a beauty once restored (and since I work in a boat glass shop...) Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Gage » Mon May 09, 2005 3:09 am

Thanks everyone for the guidence. I guess I'm going to have another project to keep me out of trouble. I went back over today to take another look at it. Wanted to pull the floor boards up to see what the bilge looked like but couldn't get them up without distroying them. Although I did spot a couple of cracks on the bottom that was seeping water and pointed them out, I even told him how much it would most likely cost me to restore it, and what does he say? Do you want it or not? The price is $600. He just wasn't going to budge.

madjack - The trailer is part of the package. "extensive project". Heck, it took me 2 1/2 years to build the teaardrop. Like my wife says, it keeps me home.Image

ARIZONA GUIDE - The boat has about 1/8" of paint brushed on. So for the most part, the glass is in pretty good shape.

Kevin - The Scotsman is reg. as a '64 (I guess I can't win them all)

DestinDave - Thanks for the encouragement. Should I get tired of it, I'll be sure to let you know.

Have a good day,
Gage

P.S. My wife read this thread and now thinks maybe I did good. Again thanks all. :thumbsup:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Off Topic