Musical Instruments...

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Musical Instruments...

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:14 pm

A while back there was a thread about playing violins, I believe it was Bev's thread... wanting to know if anyone palyed the violin.
Being a drummer for most of my life, I've "fiddled" around with quite a few instruments. I shared a story in that thread about giving way to temptation once in a customer's house way up in the mountains, out in the middle of nowhere, me being the only person around for miles...
There were a set of bagpipes just setting there calling my name...
I'm Norwegian not Scottish, why they were calling my name, I just don't know...
After I finsihed up with my window work, I looked at them real hard and just couldn't pass up the opportunity.
I was really bummed out because the only sound I could get out of them sounded like a grunting moose just before it died.
Well... I'm going to get another crack at it...
I just bought a set of pipes off of Ebay.
I thought that my winning bid of 61.00 dollars was a
pretty good buy, except it wasn't dollars... it was pounds... (From Andrew's side of the pond)
With shipping everything came to 96 pounds which works out to be 180.00. :lol:
Good one, eh?

Re: Musical Instruments...

Postby Larwyn » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:16 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I was really bummed out because the only sound I could get out of them sounded like a grunting moose just before it died.

Dean,

I think you got it right. Isnt that what the pipes are supposed to sound, at least part of the time..??? :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby anonymous2 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:41 pm

Hey Dean,

I went to a kayaking event in South Carolina a few weeks back. One of the kayakers there played the bag pipes,and would play at sun up. We were in a mountain valley campground ,and they sounded sweet echoing from the mountains. He makes good money playing them for weddings,funerals,etc. One other kayaker does video productions,and captured sound bites to be used in some of his videos. In skilled hands they sound great. Some others tried them out,and well, most of us left at that point LoL. Good luck learning to play,but do it indoors,your neighbors will thank you.

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Baagpipes and Ghosts

Postby OkieSailor » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:39 pm

I heard once that after you have played the bagpipes long enough you can see ghosts. :D Good Luck!!
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris C » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:42 pm

(or if you play them in a campground you could end up being a ghost) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:48 pm

I've got a pretty good idea that I am going to SUCK as a bagpiper...
My curiosity has just got the best of me right now...
I'm thinking it would be fun to do a bagpipe playing contest at a gathering for total rookies... Where each contestant gets 1-2 Minutes if neccesary to play them.
BTW- I've seen plenty of ghosts before... although my lifestyle was just a tad different back then... :lol: :whistle:

Postby Larwyn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:20 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I've got a pretty good idea that I am going to SUCK as a bagpiper...
My curiosity has just got the best of me right now...
I'm thinking it would be fun to do a bagpipe playing contest at a gathering for total rookies... Where each contestant gets 1-2 Minutes if neccesary to play them.
BTW- I've seen plenty of ghosts before... although my lifestyle was just a tad different back then... :lol: :whistle:

Dean, a good piper can make some fine music. I know my limits, if my minute or two with the pipes ever comes up, I'll proudly pass them on to someone who will make music. If I were to try them the noise would raise the dead. Rekon that's where the ghosts come from...???........ :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:58 pm

Welp,
I'll make 'em die and you can bring 'em back...

Postby Larwyn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:55 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Welp,
I'll make 'em die and you can bring 'em back...

Twold take a sizeable bit of tequila to bring that about..... :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Drinks

Postby OkieSailor » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:11 am

You do understand you will have to switch to a single malt scotch whiskey from now on! No more of this mixed drink Mexican made stuff.
:D
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Kevin A » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:22 am

Dean,

I did something similar on ebay a few years ago. Being Irish, I can't figure for the life of me how or why I wound up bidding on a balalaika, similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&item=7329295158&rd=1
Does this mean I gotta take up vodka as a beverage of choice? :tipsy:
Heck, when we get done with pamplin grove, it just ain't gonna be the same :rofl: :rofl2:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Re: Drinks

Postby Larwyn » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:23 am

OkieSailor wrote:You do understand you will have to switch to a single malt scotch whiskey from now on! No more of this mixed drink Mexican made stuff.
:D

The single malt and I have issues. On the other hand, the juice of the cactus tends to make me happy.............. :D :D
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:31 am

Kevin A wrote:Dean,

I did something similar on ebay a few years ago. Being Irish, I can't figure for the life of me how or why I wound up bidding on a balalaika, similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&item=7329295158&rd=1
Does this mean I gotta take up vodka as a beverage of choice? :tipsy:
Heck, when we get done with pamplin grove, it just ain't gonna be the same :rofl: :rofl2:

Kevin,
I reached my quota just over 15 years ago... I'm not taking up any Scotch beverage to blow on those bagpipes, but it won't bother me a bit if you want to adrinka da Vodka wid ya russian guitar...
You do know...You got quite an advantage on me don't you?... That thing only has three strings, how the heck could you go wrong? :lol:
Do you mean Pamplin Grove won't be the same?...
The contract says that acoustic music is permitted, even though we are in a spotted owl and marbled murlett habitat. (Those birds won't be the same that's for sure) :lol:

Postby Joanne » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:06 am

pateardropper wrote:Hey Dean,

I went to a kayaking event in South Carolina a few weeks back. One of the kayakers there played the bag pipes,and would play at sun up. We were in a mountain valley campground ,and they sounded sweet echoing from the mountains. He makes good money playing them for weddings,funerals,etc. One other kayaker does video productions,and captured sound bites to be used in some of his videos. In skilled hands they sound great. Some others tried them out,and well, most of us left at that point LoL. Good luck learning to play,but do it indoors,your neighbors will thank you.

pateardropper

I've heard a bagpipe version of Amazing Grace and it is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard in my life. Gives me cold chills. Beautiful!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:18 am

Joanne,
I'll be happy if I can just get the proper sound to come out for starters and if so, maybe on to Mary Had A Little Lamb or Row Row Your Boat...
...If all works out, I'll make Amazing Grace my long term goal.
(Might give you goosebumps too, but not the kind you got before) :lol:

Next

Return to Off Topic