Anybody Got A Two By Four?... (Knock Against Ebay)

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby angib » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:29 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:I've got this funny feeling that the next tme I hear someone playing them, I'm going to have a desire to do bad things...

If you're tempted by the Scottish bagpipes, you could consider the somewhat more tuneful (ie, scares horses less!) and certainly quieter Northumberland pipes - there are very similar Irish pipes whose name I can't remember.

Apart from being a bit smaller, they are operated by squeezing a bellows under one arm - this saves on blowing, but you do have to be able to pump with one arm while constantly squeezing with the other - if you can to the 'rub your head while patting your stomach' trick, you'd be fine.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:11 am

Andrew, I can't vouch for the spelling, but the pipes you've shown are Ulean Pipes. Love the sound. Beautiful when played well. Not at all like bagpipes.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby angib » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:23 pm

That's it! Uilleann Pipes. Look 'em up on the web to really scare yourself with the prices!

Now, I wonder if I got the cat to hold a chanter in its mouth, popped him under one arm and squeezed him hard.....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chris C » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:05 pm

(WHEW! My departed mother is rolling in her grave over how badly I mispelled that one!) :lol:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:48 pm

I just recently heard of some one getting a great deal on some bag pipes off of Ebay. I think they paid $300.00 and they were never used. I have used Ebay a few times, But I really can not figure out how it works. I mean people sell on Ebay to get the highest price for thier stuff (junk) and people buy on Ebay to get the lowest price. :? I have found that most of the good deals are really only a few dollars cheaper than you can buy them at other places.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:16 pm

Dean,

Just found this, thought you might get a kick out of it........

Bagpipes-(noun)-I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the man-made object never equalled the purity of sound achieved by the pig

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:44 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby JunkMan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:04 am

TRAIL-OF-TEARS wrote: I mean people sell on Ebay to get the highest price for thier stuff (junk) and people buy on Ebay to get the lowest price. :? I have found that most of the good deals are really only a few dollars cheaper than you can buy them at other places.

Sometimes the Items you look for on ebay are not availible locally (I don't think we have a bagpipe store here in Rapid City), so ebay is one option.

Sellers with unusual items can possibly get more for their item on ebay, then locally, since they have a larger pool of prospective buyers (as a beer can collector, I can sell cans on ebay, when I would be luck to give them away locally since there are only a few other collectors in my area).
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:00 am

[/quote]

Sometimes the Items you look for on ebay are not availible locally (I don't think we have a bagpipe store here in Rapid City), so ebay is one option.

Sellers with unusual items can possibly get more for their item on ebay, then locally, since they have a larger pool of prospective buyers (as a beer can collector, I can sell cans on ebay, when I would be luck to give them away locally since there are only a few other collectors in my area).[/quote]

Sorry, Jeff I was refering to everyday things specially if it is an item with a little bit of a demand. I agree if you need something hard to find Ebay is it. I use ebay all the time, I just don't get it. that's all.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:11 am

Jeff,
Just curious... What's an unopened can of Billy Beer worth these days?
(I saved one from back then, but gave it to a friend this past year)

Postby JunkMan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:44 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Jeff,
Just curious... What's an unopened can of Billy Beer worth these days?
(I saved one from back then, but gave it to a friend this past year)

Unfortunatly. probably less than it cost originally :cry: I have several cases of them, and don't know if I have ever sold or traded one in the 25+ years that I have been collecting.

Everyone kept them (as well as JR beer, MASH beer, and many others) thinking that they would go up in value. Since so many were held onto, they are not very hard to find, therefore not very valuable. The most valuable cans usually are the obscure breweries that were only out for a short time, some bringing over $10,000 for a single can :shock:

Very few aluminum or even steel pulltop cans are very valuable (although there are some exceptions). It's not uncommon to buy a group of a couple of dozen cans from the 70's, including Billy, JR or MASH cans for just a couple of bucks, on ebay.
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:29 pm

JunkMan wrote: The most valuable cans usually are the obscure breweries that were only out for a short time, some bringing over $10,000 for a single can :shock:

So what do these go for. The Hamms bear is dated 1972. The Burgie ceramic does not have a date but I bought it about the same time.

I know still having beer inside does nothing for the value but I could not bring myself to drink either brand if I had a choice.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:22 am

dmb90260 wrote: So what do these go for. The Hamms bear is dated 1972. The Burgie ceramic does not have a date but I bought it about the same time.

I know still having beer inside does nothing for the value but I could not bring myself to drink either brand if I had a choice.

Probably not much, just send them out here, and I will give them a good home :twisted:

Honestly, I really couldn't say, I only collect cans. I have never seen either, though, and I do look at a lot of beer collectibles.

I have several cases of Harley beer, and whenever I had to ship the cans, I would just pour out the beer, since it was so nasty (even when it was fresh). Drinking crappy beer is one of the sacrifices we have to make as collectors :lol:
Jeff & Odie
JunkMan
500 Club

Previous

Return to Off Topic