Decision time

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Decision time

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:41 am

I am, and have been for a long time, thinking of chopping the top of my tear down to 48 inches (side height). it is now 54.... I have several reasons for doing it, but mostly for a lower profile. I showed the marked up 'chopped' version to Shirley and she kind of went "Ugh" is a nice feminine kind of way.... So, I present the current profile and the blacked out chopped versions... I kind of like the lower one, but welcome any (or most, at least) comments about my plan..... (the chopped version has the axle on top of the spring so that is 3" lower than the earlier non-chopped shot.

So, we have not chopped:

and chopped:

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:52 am

arnereil,
The loss of 6 inches in height is going to do what for you? Aerodynamics, fuel ecomony. cosmetics, symetry, why cut it down at all. Oversling the axle and see if lowering give the desired effect you still want before tackling the chopping . Just remember if you have slipper style spring suspension, make sure that you have the clearance between the frame and the axle before you change it
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:58 am

Woody, the axle is already moved in the bottom picture, and yes, it will do all of those things you mentioned, I think... including making the trailer lower than the van instead of the other way round....

Ironically, the thing I think will pose most difficulty will be saving the wires in the roof... the rest should be easy and take about a week of part-time effort...

But, I have to squeeze it in between trips that are already planned, and unexpected heat waves that can not be planned, like the one we are having now.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Woody » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:10 am

arnereil
Well I say go for it, like you say, if the wiring is the hard part. Then it should be easy, a pain,or not. Good luck on your updating :thumbsup:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GeorgeT » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:02 pm

I like the lower profile better too. May be a bit easier to just whack it off straight across and not bother with making the front any roundier. Like this. 8)

Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Arne,
I'm really going to mess your brain up...
Leave it alone and start build number two, sell build #1 when build #2 is completed. :twisted:

Postby An Ol Timer » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:41 pm

Or for the sake of matrimonial harmony you could give her this one and build yourself another one. Then when you went where she wanted to go, take hers, and then, take yours when the destination is your choice. :thinking:
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby cguardsman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:53 pm

i agree just build another how "you" like it :)
Craig
cguardsman
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:14 pm

I'm with Dean and cguardsman. Sell it and build #2. Make it a woodie! 8)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:32 pm

I think tandem trailers are legal on highways..... now that is something to think about, a van pulling a tear pulling a second tear.... gotta be light, though.....

Mike, just cleaving off the top is UGLY.... even I wouldn't do something like that../g/
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

CHOPPING OFF THE ROOF..

Postby vinoscooter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Iv'e agree w/building another...It looks like a great trailer the way it is..Most folks on the forum say building the second one takes alot less time..Learning from our mistakes...Just use it while the new tear is being built,or if you need the bucks sell it...just wait tell summer is over..don't leave yourself w/out a camp trailer...Have you considered painting your trailer? To match your tear?...it might blend in so it doesnt look as tall to you...I like your tear..Lots of folks would love to have a tear of that quality...Take your time & make the correct decision...GOOD LUCK.. :thinking:
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:10 pm

8) I like the lower profile, I think if you build one just like it but come down over the frame would be more eye pleasing. You have a good looking profile to start with.Plus it drops the center of gravity down even though most tears don't need to worry about center of gravity.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:39 am

arnereil,
I would chop it down, unless you're willing to do another build. Everytime I mentioned another build around here, all I heard was groans and cries. :shock:

If you're anything like me, it's "bugging" you and you just won't be happy until you do.

How many times have I wished we we had made our teardrop wider? At least you can "fix" the problem, unlike mine.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:24 am

Bev, I think you have your arms wrapped around the problem. I have been in bed the last two nights thinking through the steps needed to accomplish the chop. If I do it, I think I'll sleep better.

I thought about building another, but I kind of like what I have except for the top height (and of course, now the frame has been pointed out to me..! )

I had thought about putting the frame in the wall on a second one, but the return vs the $$ to build a second one just isn't there. I'm not a galley kind of person, as I tend to eat out a lot and like it that way....

So, for now, it is just when to chop the top, not if I'll do it......

Thank you all for your input.. I think I've thought through it all enough. Time to get the axe out....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chip » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:17 am

Arne: one idea that has not been brought up it to change out the axle and spring assembly to a tortion unit. This should lower your rig and also allow you to go to a larger tire/wheel assembly,, There are a lot of options on trail angle etc so that ya can get it low and not have to chop the top,,, Juts a thought,,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Off Topic